Kubrick

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dedhead95, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

What's your favorite Kubrick film and WHY

2. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Dr. Strangelove. One of the darkest yet funny comedies release. One story I heard was at the time the movie was released, an Air Force general voiced opinions very sympathetic to the actions taken by Gen. Jack D. Ripper in the film. He found himself "retired" very soon afterwards. I don't know if this story is true, but its still an interesting story.

I also liked Barry Lyndon. Great story line (excellent book by William Thackery), one of the best soundtracks and lush photography. Seems every shot is framed as a painting.

3. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

A clockwork Orange because its the only one I've heared of by him besides Lolita, which sucked.

4. psilonaut

psilonaut Mushroom Muncher

Hmmm 2001..... or Clockwork or Full Metal Jacket... All excellent films. I guess if I had to choose one, it would be FMJ, it was one of the first films that didn't glorify war. It displayed some of what really happend over there, and more importantly what happend to the minds of some of the vets.

5. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

Shit, I didn't know he directed all those.

6. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

From the Internet Movie Database, www.imdb.com

1. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
      ... aka EWS (USA: promotional abbreviation)
    2. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
      ... aka Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (USA: poster title)
    3. The Shining (1980)
      ... aka Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining'
    4. Barry Lyndon (1975)
    5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
      ... aka Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange (USA: poster title)
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
      ... aka Dr. Strangelove
    8. Lolita (1962)
    9. Spartacus (1960)
      ... aka Spartacus: Rebel Against Rome (USA: poster title)
    10. Paths of Glory (1957)
    11. The Killing (1956)
    12. Killer's Kiss (1955)
    13. The Seafarers (1953)
    14. Fear and Desire (1953)
    15. Flying Padre (1951)
    16. Day of the Fight (1951)
    If I remember correctly, the first few films were Documentaries.
    Holy Crap, does this mean Micheal Moore is the next Stanely Kubrick?

7. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

the shining and full metal jacket.

8. gottssunfire

gottssunfire Member

the shining and clockwork orange

9. m6m

m6m Member

I just saw 'The Killing' and 'Eyes Wide Shut' this week.

Both these films are awesome.

But if I had to pick one kubrick film that impressed me more than any other, it would be 'Dr. Strangelove'.

Remember that great line: 'You can't fight in here; this is the WarRoom!'

10. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

thats a very tough one. Id say my favorite is probably Eyes Wide Shut. But other favorites of his for me are Lolita, 2001, and the Shining.

11. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i love all of his work.....

i honestly can't pick my favorite.....a clockwork orange was the one that made me fall in love with his work though....

12. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Full Metal Jacket. This film actually influenced me to write my book about the war in Cyprus 1974. Young men going through tough, demanding training and for what? What's the achievement of becoming a distant memory in the heads of those that love you? As for Michael Moore becoming the next Stanley Kubrik, it would be a lesser insult to Kubrik to say his movies are shit. Moore has made a profit riding the tide of popular urban opinion. Stanley was a visionist who made movies (good and bad) that nobody else would dare.

13. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

and dr. strangelove

and if the conspiracy theory is true, I like the job he did filming the original moon landing......

14. Skelter

Skelter Helter

my top-10

1. barry lyndon
    2. 2001 a space odessey
    3. a clockwork orange
    4. dr.strangelove
    5. eyes wide shut
    6. lolita
    7. full metal jacket
    8. spartacus
    9. the killing
    10. the shining

i still need to see paths of glory.

15. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Full Metal Jacket is my favorite by far. Kubrick is my favorite director/writer of all time, I must say. The Clockwork Orange was the first movie I saw of his and it really turned me onto his work. FMJ is great...it's real-life and raw. I've heard Marines tell me the bootcamp section was frighteningly similar. Even Vietnam Vets told me that's EXACTLY how it was.

I love the concept. The "duality of man"....very nice

16. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I cant stand Eyes Wide Shut......

maybe its because he died half way through making that movie, or something.... they edited that movie so much (with computer added black shrouded figures) to censor most of those orgy scenes....

the movie was just so boring and didnt make an ounce of sense to me.

17. BlackGuardXIII

exactly what i got..........bored, it was awful

18. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

Well its a very misunderstood film. Are you sure he died in the middle of making it? I'm pretty sure he died very shortly after he finished editing it. Just like pretty much all of Kubrick films, you either love it or you hate it. and I love just about everything about it. I think its just as perfect as any of his other films. I also think its one of the greatest studies of a marriage put on screen. Theres so much to it, I get more and more out of it every time I see it.

19. BlackGuardXIII

If that is what marriage is, I will never wed. My concept of marriage is light years away from what they had.

Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, 2001: A space odyssey.
    Those are genius.
    classics for all time.

20. nightwanderer

nightwanderer Member

No I did not say that was what a marriage was like. But through an almost exaggerated, unbelievable story that would almost never happen to most people, he shows how important your choices are and how dangerous sex CAN really be (for a marriage). Also I think the most important thing about it is what the characters are thinking in each scene. and you almost have to figure it out like a mystery, because it is never really said. And its not as simple as it appears to be. The positions he puts the characters in make them think on so many different levels, that what may seem right and are most desirable at the time may be the worst in the end. And I think thats why he had to have a real married couple to act in the film. For if they werent, we would not be able to see all the thought that was going through their minds in every scene. There is so much substance to the film and the way he makes every single scene sexual but in the most subtle way (just like Lolita in most scenes) is amazing. I think if any other director would have made that film, it would have more controversy and bascially..more of..everything, probably an nc-17 film. Even In the orgy scene, he never even focuses once on any of the other people. Most directors would have done that much differently as well. Like a Lynch film, either you get it or you don't. :H