knit or crochet with "shredded" t shirts

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by yarrow_sun, May 10, 2007.

1. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

Has anyone done this?

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

not with shredded t's, but with shredded plastic bags.... [​IMG]
    it's kinda fun, picking non-conventional items and using those to knit something up.

3. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

I have a half finished bag I started with plastic bags, but yours looks great. I only have white bags, and maybe it's the size hook i'm using, but I get forearm/wrist pain when I use the plastic bags.

We have tons of old clothes. I want to dye the white t shirts though.
    You Cut cut into the bottom of the shirt about an inch or two and then continuing round and round in a spiral until you have a big "string". Then you roll those into balls of t-shirt yarn. As you crochet you sew the end of one to the beginning of the next and keep going.

here's a link on making old shirts into a rag rug, but it would be easy to make a bag too, I think. I just dont know what else could be made besides bags and rag rugs.
    http://rubyglen.com/crafts/ragrug.htm

here's one for a bag:
    http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/03/21/crocheted-denim-rag-bag/

4. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

That is so cool. I am going to try that. I love to crochet

5. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

I got started over the weekend. I shredded 2 old turtleneck shirts, which are a knit material. I crocheted both of those and it looks really nice so far. Next I shredded an old knit type shirt with little embroidered designs on it which added a nice effect to the rug, then a t shirt/ The t shirt is cotton and it's harder to work with, I think. The knits are stretchy and easier to crochet with.

I'm just doing a rectangular rug for my first one.

6. Rue Takedo

Rue Takedo Member

I tried a round rug with cotton tshirts, but it didn't work too well. It looked like a floppy sun hat around the edges instead of laying flat like it was supposed to. Maybe I'll try something knit next time too, Yarrow. First though, I want to try the crochet plastic-bag tote, so I have something sturdy to use for dumpster-diving! :)