Kitty menopause?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by lace_and_feet, May 18, 2004.

1. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Is there such thing? My 10 year old cat was in heat several weeks ago, and a male cat visited, and by now (if she were pregnant), her belly would have started to bulge out. But she's at her normal size so I'm 99% sure she's not pregnant. The thing is, she's acting very strange and needy lately. Always meowing, needing attention, trying to jump up on my lap and knead into my legs or stomach. It's as if she's freaked out by the fact that she didn't get pregnant this year. She had her last litter last year, and has had several other litters before that. Has anyone else had a similiar experience? I'd appreciate some insight.

2. mmelody

mmelody Member

It may be a phantom pregnancy...all the symptoms can be the same as the real deal and is quite common in cats I believe.
    It happened to one of mine a few years ago and the vet just advised me to give lots of TLC..it did pass but I later got her spayed.

3. lace_and_feet

Interesting. So a phantom pregnancy--does this mean that my cat thinks she is pregnant? Thanks, and sorry for not seeing your reply sooner! :)

4. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

My girlfriend started acting just that way right before she realized she was a lesbian.....

5. lace_and_feet

Always meowing, needing attention, trying to jump up on my lap and knead into my legs or stomach

Like that, Ape? ....You lucky bastard.