Kimchi And Fermented Vegetables How To And Why

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Aerianne, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Time for more fermenting! The last several months have been trying, so not only did I not start any new jars, but I hadn't touched the jars already fermenting on the shelf. The last batch I'd started on September 5th, so today I figured I'd chuck them and start new jars. I was pleasantly surprised to find two of the 3 jars still good. So I have hot yellow peppers and kohlrabi to eat. These jars were fermenting for 8 months! I guess it's because the cold room gets especially cold in the winter so it's as if they were in the fridge. The hot red peppers didn't make it, they had mold on them, so the seal must have been faulty.

Today I made 4 jars of cabbage. I forgot how much work it is. And the mess, cabbage everywhere! But it's great to have a batch started again. I'll have to get some cukes going this summer.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've been off with the fermenting, too.

3. Lucy Goosey

Lucy Goosey Member

Have you started any yet?

I opened the first jar of cabbage (at 4 weeks, I usually ferment 6 to 8 weeks, so I'll leave the others on the shelf longer), and since I hadn't made it for so long, I forgot to make it low sodium! I used my old original recipe. Man is it salty (to my taste). I'll have to only have a bit of it a day, then get back to making it with just a bit of salt next time. The salty taste could also be because I haven't fermented it very long (in the cold room, so it's a colder ferment, takes longer). I'm hoping the other jars won't taste as salty if they're fermented longer.

4. Aerianne

I haven't but I sure do need to.

My stomach went on the blink big time this morning. I know better than to ignore my gut.

I'll rummage around in the fridge and eat some of my less favorites until I can get my favorite, cabbage, going.

I'm leaving for a week's vacation next Friday night so I'll have to start it when I return.

5. Aerianne

I'm going to start some new fermented cabbage today.

I've got to refresh my memory about how I made the brine.

6. Aerianne

Today, I put up 5 qts. of cabbage to ferment.