kids in the kitchen!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by kitty fabulous, May 8, 2004.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

this post is for people with kids, or for people who are kids, or for people who have the rest of the world fooled into thinking they're adults but are kids inside. post your favorite kitchen craft for children! i'll start with glitter play clay! does anyone know how to make finger paint? or slime? or body glitter?

Glitter Play Clay
    2 cups cheap white flour
    1 cup salt
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    a few drops essential oil, like lavender, tangerine, or peppermint
    food coloring or tempra paint powder as desired
    1 tablespoon or more any color glitter
    about 1/2 cup water

mix the flour, salt, glitter, and the paint powder if used. add the essential oil to the cooking oil, and the food coloring to the water. stir the liquid ingredients into the dry, and get aeager 6-year-old to squash it together until well combined.

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Very Easy Finger Paint Recipe

1/4 cup corn starch
    2 cups cold water
    food coloring

bring corn starch and waterr to a boil until it thickens.Stirring all the while.
    After it cools, pour it into airtight containers i.e. tupperware, glass jars, etc. Add food coloring to each container. Mix.
    Ta-Da!

3. charredacacia

charredacacia Member

oo-bleck!! equal parts water and corn starch. yay!

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

wicked recipes you guys! Those are totally fun! Thanks for sharing!

5. stella420blue

stella420blue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

thanks, I am always looking for new and fun stuff to do with my 3 year old girl!

6. bellystar

bellystar Member

Nice ideas! I'm a preschool teacher, so I'm always looking for new stuff for the little gaffers. I have tons of kid-friendly recipes, but they're all at work! I'll have to bring them home tomorrow and share some of the great ones here. :D

Some easy ones off the top of my head...

- white glue + tempera paint (liquid or powder) = awesome, brightly coloured glue

- condensed milk + a few drops of food colouring = great finger paint

- tempera paint + a few drops of hand soap = easy off tempera paint (my personal fave)

- chalk + light coloured sand (shaken in a sealed container) = coloured sand

- dry pasta (or rice) + a few drops of food colour + vinegar (shake in sealed container & spread out on newspaper, OR bake at low temp, to dry) = funky coloured pasta

7. serra

serra tentacle girl

water balloons with flour and water!!

ok, not really a craft, but it's fun thing to have a fight with in the summer... you get flour stuck everywhere. then you get to run around naked! or whatever...
    =)

8. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

Excellent recipes guys. I am a craft freak so these will be added to my collection ASAP!!

Love & Big Hugs
    EnonEmouse

9. day_tripper77

day_tripper77 Member

hehe, that sounds like fun -=)

oh, and i <3 that quote from DarkLunacy in your sig... it cracks me up every time i see it :D

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I don't have kids but I often babysit my neice (11) and nephew (9) and their cousins... One fun thing that they like to do is get glass paint that's peelable once dried, and they make really neat sun catchers with them! It takes about 12 hours to dry, and they peel it off the plates they paint on and stick it to their bedroom windows, it's really pretty.