Keeping your clothes stained

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by sleepy_ashes, Jan 14, 2005.

1. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

So I kinda got tired of trying to find designs for my clothes, so I've just been doing it on my own. I made a pretty boss shirt using a sharpie and a red marker and a yellow highlighter, all done on a plain white Hanes T-shirt.

I've yet to wash it though (only worn it once actually) because I'm afraid of the colors all running out. Is their any sealant or anything I can buy or make to keep this from happening? Or am i just concerned about nothing? I don't mind if the colors fade, in fact I overcompensated for it in case they did, but I don't want my detailed little drawing to be washed away and smudged up.

Also, I made a stencil I'd like to use, any recomendations? Will spray paint fall apart in the wash?

THANKS!!!

2. environmental_junkie

environmental_junkie Member

post some pictures now

3. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

The sharpie will be ok. Acrylic paint works. Fabric paint and fabric markers, of course, are best.

4. Lemur24

Lemur24 Member

As Crystaleyez said, there are fabric paints appropriate for this kind of work, so you should try using those from now on if you don't want to ruin your shirt.. I've used a permanent marker a few times but it got a little smudged the first time I washed it :( Maybe I did something wrong or used too much detergent, I dunno... hehe

As for the shirt you've already made, I believe there are fabric sealants but they're mostly used on "outdoor fabrics" such as tents, etc... I think they're waterproof too, so I dunno if you'd get the result you're looking for or if the fabric would lose its flexibility and become too rigid to wear...

Anyway, hope that helps and you find a solution for this.. :)

5. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

well I washed it and the sharpie faded, the red seems almost the same as it was (I was expecting pink or something) and the yellow highligher is completely gone.

Thanks for all the advice! Next I'm going to try a stencil, anyone have any advice on using spraypaint on your clothes? I have a shirt with acrylic stains (unintentional) on them and some has flaked off but some remains so I don't know what to say on that part.

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Before using a sharpie, did you wash the shirt? If it was brand new it has chemicals on it to make it look good in the store, they need to be removed. And Don't use fabric softener on it, that stuff coats the fibers.

After marking it up, set the stain in the dryer with heat. After that, only wash it in cold water. :)

7. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

thanks daisy, The shirt I made is in my gallery and is standing pretty good.

Thanks for the advice on washing it first. I worked on a shirt fresh from the package (I was staining it with expired frozen strawberries and hawaiian punch to make it look bloody) and then I washed it and it turned all pink.

Thanks again.

8. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

I use acrylic paint with textile medium mixed in to keep it from being stiff..
    it works great..
    go to my gallery and there are a few of my shirts there if you wanna take a look

9. Amanda's Shadow

Amanda's Shadow Flower Child

put it in the dryer. that usually holds stains

10. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Also as far as spray paints go, use car spray, a veeery thin layer of it :) it holds well and if the layers thin it wont be too stiff either.
    Or acrylic paint does seem to stay on some fabrics. i painted soem jeanes with it a year back and the thicker parts have washed off but the thinner parts have stayed :)