Keeping body "adjusted" to eating meat?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by MamaTheLama, May 19, 2004.

1. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Was just wondering if anyone else practiced eating meat on occasion just to keep the body from utterly rejecting it in case it ever really "needed" to be eaten...like if a dire situation were ever faced (jail,someone else's bomb shelter,whatever).
    I grew up veggie but we would always eat meat once a month to keep from getting sick from it in case we had to eat it on other occasions.

It kinda makes sense to me, especially after I went true veggie for a few years and then had a tub of buffalo wings (dont ask), I was pretty sick for a few days after that one:eek: (and no, that tub of wings didn't turn me into a raging carnivore, lol).

Watcha think?

2. Enron

Enron Member

I cant really think of a reason where i would need to eat meat. In jail i believe you can get vegetarian meals but ive heard about vegans having big trouble in prison. I suppose a bomb shelter might be a reason but it seems like preparing for eating it would go against all the reasons i started the diet.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Thought never occured to me... Now that it has I really can't see any reason why I'd ever desperatly need to eat meat.
    Even if such a situation arose the meat probably wouldn't do much harm.

Eithier way I haven't eaten meat for almost a year and sure as hell won't start again.

TTFN

Sage

4. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree with this. And to add, I suspect if you were in a bomb shelter or prison while being a conscientious vegetarian, you'd probably throw up santized water if you'd consumed it !

5. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

at the jails round here you have to have medical or religeous reasons to get a veggie meal, they say its cuz some inmates only turn veggie in prison to feel "special" or be "different" but i think thats BS they should give em what they want, it wold be cheaper for the prison to not give em meat so what they hey.

6. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

and safer less chance of food posioning, anyway i reckon if you had too eat meat your body would get used to it pretty quickly.
    if i start eating it again i won't want to stop, are you sure its not just to control a craving?

s

7. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Nah, I can't stand the stuff.
    But trust me, it does take a week of being sick to get adjusted to meat after a long time of being veggie...I'll never forget the stomach ache (and everything that came with it) from those wings, ugh!

8. Enron

Enron Member

I can only imagine what it would do to me...In any case lets just stay out of prison, mmmKay?

9. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

If you occassionally eat meat you aren't a vegetarian. If I was in an air plane crash in the South American rainforest I might have to eat one of my less fortunate fellow passengers to survive but I am not going to munch on my neighbor just to get used to how we humans taste.

If I was that concerned about an impending apocolypse I would just be sure to keep some instant refried beans and minute rice around.

10. SapphireSerenity

SapphireSerenity Member

In jail, I think you could just eat around the meat... Doesn't more than one thing come with it? And if you're in a bomb shelter at anytime, why would there be meat there?? Wouldn't it go bad?

~Sapphire