Keep the cats inside

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by backtothelab, May 20, 2004.

1. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I don't like you now.

2. Shakra

Shakra Member

Awwh lol I am nice really [​IMG]

3. cousinit

cousinit Member

yes pleas keep your cats in the house. I got tired of digging cat shit out the horse shoe pitch and garden. so i have a cat trap in my back yard.
    This dosnt kill or harm the cat, just traps it, I then call up spca and they take it away.
    Ive had one cat 3 times, and the owner is somwhat pissed off at me. Hes payed the spca bills three times.

Thiers not a big stray can problem up here though, most house cats cant survive the -40 degree winters. that and a good hungry coyote population, I can hear em just about every night

4. Shakra

Shakra Member

Damn wish I could get my cats to shit outside, they still use the litter tray even tho they been going outside for years and years.

5. SamuraiSeahorse

SamuraiSeahorse Member

Its a difficult argument with both sides of the coin being technically correct.

Cats are born to be free. No one owns a cat. Cats own u. Cats should be free to come and go as they please and are just not the kind of creature that relish being denied their freedom. They are WAY to independant for that.
    When a cat comes home we should feel priveliedged. If it didnt like u much it'd go live with someone else.
    They're good at that.....we figured out that ours got so fat cos he was doing the rounds of old ladies houses and getting fed by em all the cheekey git.
    And as was said previously....death is an essential part of life.
    Its quite likely u could die when u go out tomorrow through some cause or another. Does that mean u should lock yourself in for ever? Because early death may come.????????

Cats allowed out frequently are streetwise. They quickly learn about roads and predators. And a cat is a fearsome opponent. Its a brave fox who tackles a cat.

On the other side....yea loads of poeple will reply saying "MY cat never kills birds..." Well neither does mine......but the vast majority of fit, young healthy cats DO. And they are a BIG problem and a problem likely to increase.

The key issue is in the fact that many people want a pet cat. The only way to stop the bird problem is to keep cats in doors which I feel is cruel and denies a cat a huge part of its nature.....or to somehow abolish cat ownership :p
    Its a HUGE dillemma.

6. The Smiling Frog

The Smiling Frog Member

I get so tired of this "Cats should be free, cats are my equal" crap. That's like saying children are your equal and should be let out to roam freely and be hit by cars. I would hope you are smarter than your cat. I would hope you are smarter than a 2 year old child. They need protecting, they need you to take care of them.
    People grow up act like adults. Some of you people are really just plain stupid. Sorry too piss everyone off I just get tired of it. Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent. People and their save the whales, don't pollute, don't hurt the little animals. I know someone like that. She drives around all day in a crappy car that spews black smoke, loaded with bumper stickers that say "Free the animals" "Save the whales" "Don't eat meat". She let her cats out and one never came back, probably because it couldn't put up with her. I have seen the cat in my yard, but I can't catch her because she's scared do death of humans, wonder why! Then this girl is standing in the corner of the room of a party. After lecturing everyone about how animals are killed and torchered, she's scarfing down chicken! Cut the crap, I am entitled to my opinion and I don't say one thing and do another. I had a cat that was run over and had a lot of medical problems because of it. I don't want to see it happen again. If I catch a cat I will either keep it or bring it to the animal shelter.

7. Micro

Micro Member

What a load of crap!:rolleyes:

8. JudgeAnnJurie

JudgeAnnJurie Member

I don't like that cats can come onto my property to urinate and / or defecate. I also don't like that cats can come onto my property to hunt birds that I try to attract with bird houses and bird feeders and bird baths. I also don't like that cats can come onto my property and hunt chipmunks, which I also enjoy watching. I wish cats would be confined to their owners yards, and I also wish the owners would put a bell on their cats collars.

9. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

I'm sorry your cat was run over by a car, but cut the crap already. The cat I have now came up as a stray. He was starving, not only for food, but also for attention. I'll tell you something though, if I try to make him stay in the house he goes stir crazy and shits on things for spite. Now I just lock him up in the garage at night, and he is much happier. So don't you dare imply that people are stupid for letting their cats out. I have a dog that I have to keep in the house, because she doesn't realize that the road is not her friend. It's all about the animals. My dog would run right out in front of a car, so she has to stay inside. My cat won't go near a car unless it is not running. So quit judging people. As for the original poster, my cat kills, baby rabbits, chipmunks, and field mice, but not birds. I'm not keeping him locked up all day and night.

10. SunshineLily

SunshineLily Member

I totally agree about the depletion in the wild bird population, and it is awful! But point blank, it is unnatural and unfair for cats to be kept inside. These animals are hardly different at all to their wild ancestors (the scottish wild cat for example) and have core needs of excessive exercise. My opinion is simply that there are too many domestic cats around - but i don't think the numbers are going to go down somehow!

Like people have mentioned before me in this post, neutering/spaying your cats is so, so important and does make a big different. Also microchipping etcetera - it is all written in the post i think (hehe, i've gotta go in a minute so i can see myself rushing this post - damn!).

However a good compromise is to keep the cats confined at dawn and at dusk, as these are the main times that birds are out. If you are somebody like me, who is truly compassionate about animals, you'll love the birds, but like cats enough to dislike containing their natural instincts to wander every now and then!

Love,
    Sunshine Lily
    xxx

11. jessticle

jessticle Member

cats are animals.. and animals never lived in houses before humans started to think they owned them.
    Cats killing birds is just nature, we all know they dont NEED to kill them but that is just what they do. As for cats getting run over, its happened to me a few times and its awful , but i'd rather let my cat go outside and be happy and free than lock him in the house because i was scared he'd get run over. You dont lock yourself in the house everyday because you MIGHT get run over do you?
    To be honest, it all went wrong when humans stopped respecting animals and started to think they belong to us. They dont.

12. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I just shoot cats with pennies from a slingshot when they come in my yard...

Not that I ever HIT any but I've found enough dead birds on my doorstep from other people's cats for my liking. Not to mention I hate cats with a passion. I've been attacked by cats in my own back yard. Not to mention people in my neighborhood do not spay or neuter their cats so they run wild and breed, then the owners don't take care of the offspring.

We have at least 40 stray cats alone in my neighborhood just because stupid people don't take care of their cats. If you're going to let your cat run loose, make sure you keep tabs on where he is, be aware that some people like to enjoy their yards without cats (and for people like me with allergies, I can break out into hives just by a cat's presence), and please please please put bells on your cats. It might not save every bird, but it could help a few.

13. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

right people proberly aint gonna like what i have to say but i will say it anyway, i totally disagree with this forum, cats are domesticated pats yes but do we have the right to pick if they HAVE to live inside or out i have 3 cats (did have 4 but ones dissapeared [​IMG]) the all have the choice of going in and out - the have all been neutered, they have collars, bells, tags the lot on. i dont think it is fair for a cat to be forced to stay inside at all - cats dont naturally want to stay in for walls, my cats still kill mice, birds, worms and there is nothing i can do about it - i try and get the prey of her but she runs and goes nutty. i think you shouldnt try and make people keep cats in at all, mine have a cat flap and do what they want when they want - believe me. i know people are worried about the population of certain birds but there isnt much u can do. i know i will proberly get stick for saying stuff like that but hey this is where you are ment to say your opion and thats just what i did xxx