Kavanaugh Nomination

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skip, Sep 27, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford is a psychology professor and researcher and has been for years. She has co authored three books in her field, and she's published numerous articles.
    And there are no known complaints of her having mental incapacity.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, that's why we need an FBI investigation, not a time constrained one, a thorough one.
    Seems to me she may want justice and doesn't like the idea of having someone who attempted to rape her on the Supreme Court.

That being said I never said Kavanaugh is guilty of sexual assault. We have said he needs to be investigated, and that the Republicans are trying to ram his confirmation through.
    Hypocrites that they are.
    I have also said his nomination should be withdrawn and someone should be nominated who both sides agree is as
    apolitical as possible. Why is it so hard to find someone the majority on both sides can agree on?
    What's the rush?
    Pretty damn fishy.

Drain the swamp.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Whats the stalling ?

Better invest in coat hangers. oh no he didnt..

Or where BK stands on the 4th ..

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

So let's review. Senator Flake motioned for a one week investigation before he voted. That alone is a gift of goidwill that the Dems agreed to and praised him for. The could have denied that offer but did not.

Gee what do you know. Less than 2 days later the Dems and Ford and their supporters who had no investigation offers prior, are now whining they don't like the deal. One that they didn't have before. They will argue it should be months long and a list of tenants that will grow to hundreds. You or I did not set the rules that were agreed to. We have no say in it. We all heard them agree to one week and no longer and limited in scope.

If you don't like the deal your leaders made, vote them out. The process and the terms were agreed to be satisfactory. And praised Flake for providing. Before us all.

Ford has an exlempery work ethic that on the surface appears solid. As does the person she accused. More people on both sides are bringing questions to the credibility of both exlemperay reputations. I both trust and doubt both sides.

As I said she presented better than Kavenaugh. I also observed she had 2 attorneys and many days to prepare. And handled by the Dems from start to finish. And they were not addressing them by the same rules. There is some inequities in how they were allowed to be questioned.

I predict another walk out in protest because they don't like the gift they praised Flake for providing them.

What candidate could Trump ever submit on his list that you or the Dems would ever not fight to allow to be appointed?

4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

It's not at all uncommon for people who have suffered trauma, not just rape but all types of trauma, to ''forget'' certain details. It's our mind's way of survival, otherwise we might die if we were to relive the horrific events that have occurred in our lives, day in and day out. She likely supressed certain details because it meant surviving her ordeal, which it seems why decades later, she started to eventually unravel it all in therapy, etc.

It has nothing to do with having the mental capacity to remember things. It is how our minds work. Yours too, believe it or not...if you were struck with something as horrific as sexual assault.

scratcho, Okiefreak and Tyrsonswood like this.
  5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I have been. And there are other members of this board that can corroborate that fact if you care to suggest I may be lying. I can ask them to step up with sufficient corroborating info to validate it.

I know all about how this type trauma affects how a brain can remember things accurately and not. I know for a fact I am not reliable in recalling as much as I know happened over the course of it.

Aerianne likes this.
  6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, Kavanaugh has already demonstrated a lack of the judicial temperament required for the job of U.S. Supreme Court justice. In any case of "he said, she said", the decision by the triers of fact rests on their assessment of the credibility of the parties. The triers of fact in the first instance are the members of the U.S. Senate. I find Blasey Ford to be a completely credible witness; so do most other people. Cavanaugh also had many days to prepare, and he is an attorney. He supposedly put that statement together himself and it was a doozy. His angry, combative demeanor is consistnt with the behavior of an assailant. This doesn't necessarily mean he was lying. My father was a highly functioning alcoholic who was an effective lawyer and a great guy when he was sober. He'd drink after work and on the weekends and get belligerent. Once when I was a kid, I annoyed him by beating a stick on a piece of wood. He grabbed the stick from me and started hitting me with it. My mother tried to protect me, and he gave her a few whacks with it. If I had confronted him later about it, I'm sure he'd say the incident never happened, and I'm sure he'd have believed it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    MeAgain and Flagme15 like this.
  7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Then you should empathize with Dr Ford, yea?

8. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

two men said they attacked Dr.Ford, not Kavanaugh. Problem is the Senate judiciary Committee has talked to these people, and accordiing to Graham, were not credible.

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I very much do. I also know the struggles she may face having accurate recollections. And misrecollections. It's a very common frustration among the other victims that share our issues. Based on what I know from the level of damage done to her life she describes resulting from a unsucesful (meaning no actual sex took place) attempt, I don't think she would be with us today, certainly not in a productive capacity, had it been successful.

I'm sorry how insensitive the Dems were to her desire to not want to do this in public. I'm sorry she had to endure the spectacle it became. I'm sorry she had to come face to face with a known and admitted perpetrator of groping in Senator Booker. Placing a victim before any known perpretrator, can cause flashbacks back to the event..

Had he bought me coffee, I would have wanted to rip his throat out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Care to provide a source for that?

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Judges get angry. It often helps bring about stricter sentences to those that have been convicted, and have pissed off a judge while doing so.

I was thrilled to hear the judge in the Nasser case tell him, I just signed your death warrant. It showed me she was angry on behalf of the victims.

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Some people want revenge on the GOP senate for not allowing Obama to nominate Scalia's replacement. That's all this really is.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Really? That's all this is? Some people want to put a partisan redhot who is big on presidential powers on SCOTUS to give Trump and ace in the hole if the Democrats win the Novermber election. I wouldn't go so far as to say "that's all this is", but it's at least some of it.

MeAgain likes this.
  15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Judges get angry, but not in such an over-the-top partisan way, and if they do, we should try to make sure they don't get onto the United States Supreme Court.

Flagme15 likes this.
  16. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I don't judge his anger or reactions, honestly. If he feels he's being unjustly accused, and his family is receiving death threats, etc...it's not that abnormal that he would probably be going with little sleep, and living on emotion for the past few weeks. But, what I noticed is that he seems to be rather indignant, as if it's a right to be appointed this seat on the SC. It's not a ''right'' simply because you have been a decent judge for 12 years and went to Yale. Being appointed to a SC Judge isn't a right, he strikes me as entitled.

I believe Dr Ford's testimony was credible, but I believe that Kavanaugh should be afforded an investigation to clear his name, if for some reason, she had mistaken his identity. I feel for his wife and kids, honestly. Something tells me, his wife behind closed doors was probably really upset and possibly questioning her husband over and over, if he is telling her the truth. This is probably something they never discussed, if he feels he didn't do it, or if he can't remember doing it. Or worse, he did it, and wants to pretend it didn't happen or matter, because he was a teenager when it happened.

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yep. Weaponizing a socially sensitive issue and then asserting it is not impeachable for fear of public outrage.

We can now add sexual assault to the same list as racism, poverty, etc as the nuclear weapons of politics.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  18. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

The disgusting pigs at Fox News are now comparing attempted rape to everyday interactions between children:

[​IMG]

r0llinstoned likes this.
  19. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Some people like to pretend that their partisan assumptions are judgment calls.
    And by someone I mean you.

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

As I said this was a compromise. The only reason the Republicans are allowing any investigation at all is they realize how bad they look.
    It's not a gift it's a political consideration by the Republicans.

I don't like the deal, but I accept it as better than nothing, same as the Democrats. They know if they turn it down the Republicans will crow about how they were willing to launch an investigation and the Democrats declined, even though the terms suck.