Katrina

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by squawkers7, Aug 30, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

LOUISIANA:

_After hitting Florida last week, Katrina strengthened to a Category 5 storm over the Gulf of Mexico but weakened slightly and came ashore early Monday as a Category 4 storm with wind of 145 mph.

_Near Lake Pontchartrain, entire neighborhoods of one-story homes were flooded up to the rooflines. Up to 20 feet of water was standing in one poor neighborhood on New Orleans' east side.

_An estimated 40,000 homes were flooded in St. Bernard Parish just east of New Orleans.

_A water main broke in New Orleans, making it unsafe to drink the city's water without first boiling it. Police made several arrests for looting.

_Authorities rescued dozens of people from rooftops and attics.

_The highest winds in New Orleans were estimated at about 100 mph.

_Evacuations: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the entire city of 485,000 to evacuate. For those who couldn't, the city opened 10 shelters, including the Superdome. The mayor estimated that 80 percent of the city's residents had left.

_About 9,000 spent the night at the Superdome arena. Power failed, and three hours later the wind tore away metal and left two holes in the roof, one 15 to 20 feet long. Officials said the holes were not dangerous.

2. moonlightdancer

moonlightdancer Member

The devastation that I am seeing is almost too large to comprehend. I grew up in New Orleans. My mother, father, aunt, cousin and too many loved ones to list are still there. I cannot reach them by phone and the only connections to them is my intuition and feelings. Yet, I feel that they may not be true as I am flooded with them. I ask for everyone's help in sending warm thoughts, prayers, energy to all affected by this. As we are all sure to be in one way or another. This is a tragedy that I feel we can all help by taking moments of concern and care.
    love,
    moonlightdancer

3. cymru_jules

cymru_jules Member

Worst 7 hurricane seasons have been in last 10 years. It's a shame the US government seems to disregard environment issues so easily.

4. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Well, here's hoping your families are alright as well as some I know over that way in the southern states.

5. Motion

Motion Senior Member

How to help relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina

[​IMG]
    Laurie Phillips
    [​IMG]
    The Tribune

[​IMG]

Donations to help victims of Hurricane Katrina can be sent to the American Red Cross and United Way of America. Both groups accept checks and credit-card gifts, which can be given by visiting their Web sites.

To donate to the American Red Cross, visit www.redcross.org and click on "Donate Now." If making a contribution by check, mail it to the San Luis Obispo County chapter, 225 Prado Road, Suite A, San Luis Obispo, CA, 93401.

To donate to United Way of America, visit www.unitedway.org and click on "United Way Hurricane Katrina Response Fund." Mail checks to United Way of America, P.O. Box 630568, Baltimore, MD, 21263.

The Red Cross is also looking for volunteers to assist its disaster-relief efforts. Those interested should be in good health and be able to commit to at least three weeks of service. For more information, call the San Luis Obispo chapter at 543-0696.

-- Laurie Phillips

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Telethon Raises Money For Relief Efforts

Call now! Call (603) 621-5540 with your donation.

The television images of the devastation along the Gulf Coast give only a glimpse of the tragedy left in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Now, you can help the survivors by aiding in the massive relief effort.

WMUR-TV, WZID, 96.5 The Mill and WOKQ are working together to help the victims in a telethon on Thursday, Sept. 1. The telethon will run all day from 5 a.m. to midnight, and you can call in your donations that will be sent directly to the American Red Cross fund to aid in the relief efforts.

By midday, the telethon had raised more than $428,000 for disaster relief. Individual donations ranged from $1 to more than $10,000.

Officials said that hundreds or even thousands of people have died in New Orleans alone, and more are in danger. Survivors need food, clothing and shelter. Emergency workers say that the best way to help is to send money, which can be used to meet the most serious needs.

The Red Cross is currently operating 250 shelters across seven states, providing a haven for 42,000 evacuees. More shelters may be needed as evacuations continue.

When disaster has struck in the past, New Hampshire residents have shown their generosity. In the aftermath of deadly tsunamis in December 2004, residents pledged nearly $630,000 to victims in a WMUR telethon.

You also have other options if you want to help. You can donate at the Mall of New Hampshire from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the upper parking lot near the Longhorn restaurant. Look for the Red Cross van or WZID rolling radio.

In Manchester, The New England Sampler restaurant on Hanover Street is sponsoring a "Sweet and Savory" tasting from noon to 6 p.m. to raise money for the Red Cross.

And Bishop John McCormack is asking Catholic parishes to take special collections for the next two weekends for hurricane relief.

Even after the immediate danger has passed in the Gulf states, the work will continue for months or longer to restore people's homes and help the region recover from the devastation. Join WMUR-TV in once again in helping those most in need.

Call (603) 621-5540 with your donation!

7. TooMuchTheMagicBus

TooMuchTheMagicBus Member

The survival stories from Katrina are extremely sad, i saw this black man on the news with his son crying because his wife and other kid were carried away by the flood and he said the last thing his wife said to him was "take care of the kids" he was lost and crying and it was one of the saddest things i've ever seen.

I also find it really sad that New Orleans is just ruined, I've always thought it was such a beautiful place, with all the Old South history and those beautiful huge plantation homes lying in ruins or some even completely gone. Those are things you can't rebuild.

Not to mention gas prices are already climbing, and pretty fast. Alot of other things such as coffee are going to rise since all of our coffee in the U.S. was imported up through the Port of New Orleans which is now completely gone.

8. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Kellie, Steve and Deb's Are you alive? I hope you read this and answer / read when you can if all is ok or at least if U are alive.

9. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Hoping you 3 are well.

10. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Kellie, Steve and Deb's, I pray for you seeing as I haven't heared yet.

11. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Re-trying. Post here if you 3 are alive. I'll re-try occasionally as I know all power, comms , net are out in certain places etc.