karma has a way of biting you in the ass when you need it

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by cerridwen, May 24, 2004.

1. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

I love all of you. Bless you and keep trying.

2. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Well, such things are beyond our control (accidental contamination) and may or may not be karma. Who can say? It matters how we deal with it when it comes; our reaction is the key. Obviously it would be good to limit contamination by stopping it before it occurs

Are you saying black people are paying for some past event that they collectively did? Some evil done by black people? Not impossible, but rather unlikely in my eyes. Karma is not the only cause of suffering. Others can lay it on our shoulders by their negative choices in life. But again, who can say if it's karma or not? All we can do is try to do better, for ourselves and others.

(and I don't mean to imply you are being racist, i understand your point given in that example, though I disagree)

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Karma is said to be the law which governs all the movements of the materiel universe, and also those of subtle realms. Nothing can happen here which is not part of the overall processes of karma. At least in so far as ordinary life is concerned.

I'm not saying that black people are suffering discrimination because of some past misdeeds - I'm saying that just by being born we are subject to karmas on all levels - I mean, how much shit goes down because of blind and stupid racism - and it feeds back to racism of black against white etc..

I don't think karma means just some kind of moral law along the lines of 'as ye sow so shall ye reap' the workings of karma are extremely complex, operate on a multi-level and multi-dimensional basis and are largely obscured from human consciousness.

According to Vedic notions, only through a process of yoga can we rise above karma, and get some insight into it's true operation. The average person is too entangled in action to see what action is, and what are the real nature of the energies underlying.

A person may feel they are suffering because they can't fulfill some particular desire, but they don't see that the desire itself is wholly a conditioned and constructed thing - in other words, it has been put into them by the collective society in which they were born and whose norms they have been conditioned to accept as the sole reality.
    All this is karma. Once again, according to the Vedic literature, it is only the Divine and those who seek to realize the Divine who are free from it or can become freed from it.

Love,

BBB

4. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Nicely said, I've been trying to reach some insight about the very thing written here. In regards to material things / possessions.

5. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Ok, but even collective karma must be dealt with individually. A nation is not a single entity really, but a collection of many. Each individual has his choice, and until a certain level is reached its an uphill battle for change. Even when the idea takes root and gains momentum, it's still up to the individuals to change themselves. This is why social change is so hard. I think talking about trying to change collective karma is getting ahead of ourselves, we have to start closer to home, and improve ourselves first. Lead by example. Remove the beam from our own eyes, and only THEN try to get the splinter out of our neighbors' eyes.