Kanye as a target of the left

Discussion in 'People' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Apr 29, 2018.

1. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I have no idea why this guy has so suddenly shifted his politics. If that's what you can call it. Back when he said "president Bush doesn't care about black people" I thought he was being naive. George W Bush didn't care about anyone who made less than $200K a year, regardless of color.

President Obama called him a "Jackass" when he ran up on stage and took the mic from Taylor Swift so he could rant about how Beyonce deserved it more. But with his latest revelations it seems like he's abandoning the main pillars that have guided so many of his opinions. He's teetering to the right strangely.

I wonder if he has any new ideas to fill the void he's walking away from. After all be he right or wrong about natural selection, Darwin attacked the nature of man reducing us all to barely advanced monkeys. Freud reduced us to a confusing mess of sexual frustrations and repressions. Then Marx gave a solution that reduces people (except himself) to slaves of the state.

How can he turn his back on all that cool shit?

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I dunno, but up until last week, he was a target of the right, so, hypocrisy...

3. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

Kanye is a person. He's kinda all over the place with what he says and does. A ball of fire. So, I'd expect he'd be all over the place with his movement through life, politics, music, fashion design. He's making it up as he goes along. I don't think testing out new outfits is hyprocrisy. One day he says something, then he apologizes, moves on. He's searching for something.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Kanye openly supported Trump since the election. He has been all over the place with his statements as OrleansWordsmith puts it. While the right leaning Trump supporters now love him, he did just turn around and say that the anti-gun bald chick from Parkland was a hero to him. So they aren't gonna like that so much. I bet many of them feel punked right now. Meanwhile, the left is upset with him because he is a black man who has the wrong politics; he has strayed from their plantation of group think. This video was the turning point

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Is the left upset with him?

I just assumed both sides of the political spectrum think he's an idiot
    No one actually takes him seriously..right..right?

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Maybe he is not a target of one specific political side. He's getting criticized by lots of people, often because of his work (that would include me :p), but also because he says or does stupid or obnoxious things. When that involves politics and people comment on it, it gets put as he's getting attacked by this or that group. Yet it seems he gets 'attacked' by lots of different people from different groups. It does not seem an effort of one specific group or side

7. Asmodean

'Great minds think alike' :)

I expect his remarks only get more attention because he's famous..

8. 6-eyed shaman

Yes, they have been ever since he visited Trump towers with the Donald after the election. And the right started to love him.

Then he made pro-gun control tweets, and the right started freaking out. Now the left loves him says he's an independent free thinker.

9. OrleansWordsmith

My black brother voted for trump. I ain't saying I don't love him for doing so. He's still my brother. But he's always been a bit weird(nothing to so with his voting record). I think Kanye can tout whatever politics he wants. If you like his music buy it. If his politics ain't what you want, don't patronize his music or whatever. Point is being a celebrity doesn't make him some kind of sophisticated pundit. I'm wondering why anybody is surprised considering his track record.

tumbling.dice, scratcho and McFuddy like this.
  10. Noserider

Problem is, people treat politics as black and white while most people's opinions exist in a gray area. Hence, why he can like on Republican president, dislike another, and support gun control.

But most people seem so caught up in the right vs. left thing that they don't even know how to react to this.

Kanye's just letting his personal opinions influence his political affiliation, instead of the other way around. He is too difficult to catalogue and that is going to cause simple minds to explode.

11. lode

lode Banned

I've targeted him for about a decade for being a wannabe Talib Kweli.

The politics of celebrities don't really concern me. But I guess it's a big deal for the right, since their biggest stars are Rosanne and Stephen Baldwin. I say let the right have 'em.

scratcho likes this.
  12. OrleansWordsmith

Seems pointless to follow celebrity politics. Think locally, act globally. Unless someone is doing something illegal and unethical, let their politics be. Oh oh,,, my head is exploding!!!

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Where do you find these people? I cant say I know a single soul who gives a damn about Kanye's politics either way.

scratcho likes this.
  14. 6-eyed shaman

I get most of my news by following certain journalists and influential people on Twitter. I've been reading the responses to the Kanye tweets and it's like an emotional rollercoaster.

People give a damn about Kanye's politics, because many people idolize celebrities, and allow them to shape their political outlook.

To me, the biggest problem with politics is group think. Many people seem to forget that they can have a mixture of left, right, and center beliefs. Too often do people rely on the leaders of their political affiliation to do all the thinking for them.

15. Asmodean

^
    Lol

You realize you're the best example of that yourself where it comes to most of your posts on political and societal topics. You're always generalizing and making it about the group a person or comment can be lumped into.

McFuddy and Noserider like this.
  16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Does your ass hurt from being so full of shit?

Tyrsonswood and Okiefreak like this.
  17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

19. lode

lode Banned

This does explain some stuff.

20. Noserider

Kanye's now a target of the Crips