Justin Bieber

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Bryce, Mar 24, 2018.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well isn't he kind!

Except that it should be common knowledge by now that feeding wildlife has a deleterious effect, and is discouraged, even downright prohibited in many areas.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

There is a very strange squirrel where I work. I give it apples, almonds, peanuts, donuts. It dont want none that, the others will eat it. It only eat Arbys fries.

3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Picky bastard. His fate is sealed.

Orison likes this.
  4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Bet he's fatter than all the rest

Orison likes this.
  5. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

And as charming as you might be Orison, squirrels are rabies carrying, pretty rats....

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i bet you're about my age. because you just named all the pop groups/singers that were popular when i was young enough to know the names of the popular pop groups/singers.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

squirrels do not carry rabies. if they do its because of injury with mammals such as raccoons .. 98% of squirrels are rabies free.

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  8. OrleansWordsmith

OK, you're right. It's woodchucks and none of them are chucking wood around here. They're still just attractive rats and dig up gardens and leave scat all over my sidewalks. Therefore my no love lost for them. Even raccoons are not listed as rabies vectors unless they're fighting woodchucks, I suppose. Very few lagomorphs carry rabies: mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits. It says unless the squirrels act oddly, which may account for YOU Orison, they are unlikely to be carrying rabies. FIve of you in a pot would make a decent stew, I've been told by someone whose family has done so.

9. OrleansWordsmith

This has little to do with age. I've heard all those singers Beatin' spoke of and their similarities point to the general trend of a timespan of pop music. The general trend of 80s/90s pop music included those artists. And as that definition states, pop music is a genre of accessible, well performed, conservative music. None of those artists sing groundbreaking tunes. None rage at the machine. Few are singer/songwriters. None are subversive. But extremely specific? There have been boy "bands" since the barbershop quartet, the doo woppers, the R&B/soul singers and of course electro pop came about through technological advances that became cheap to use. Nineties pop styles differ somewhat from those before them, but they fit in a long line of pop music before them. Bouncy, energetic Taylor Swift is a prime example. Lyrics and catch phrases you can hum in your head. Naughtier outfits and dancing, but carefully and prettily packaged. I see it as a continuum. A blending. The reason you're dissatisfied with those artists doesn't seem to have anything to do with them being from the 90s. It has to do with the stratosphere they occupy. Is their music rich, complex, deeply thoughtful, challenging? Are they excellent singer/jperformers? Do they offer complex messages, propose unanswerable questions? Are they political? Antiestablishmentarian? I think the answer is no. But I still find Swift's "Shake it off" funny, and N Sync's "Bye Bye" a complete hook tune. Bruno Mars is the same. There's nothing wrong with light music. But it's like a diet of the same food. After a while, it tastes kind of bland and you need something else.

10. Bryce

Bryce A nut busting poster is a happy poster!

Because those are all sub-genres of popular music that denote a specific sound. If you actually think about it, it makes perfect sense. The artists you keep singling out are all from sub genres of pop music. There is dance-pop, electro-pop, pop-rock, pop-R&B, hip-pop, country-pop, Latin-pop, and adult contemporary which is also a form of pop). You can’t just lump all of them into the same genre on the basis of sound because they all sound completely different.

I don’t think so. I think it’s an argument of semantics (pop being short for popular).

Well for one thing I don’t think Christina Aguilera sounds anything like Britney Spears. But you are again talking about a sub-genre within pop. Your categorization of pop is really only talking about bubblegum pop, or teen pop. Not all pop sounds like that. More to the point, pop as a category is synonymous with top-40. It does not denote a specific sound! R. Kelly, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Childish Gambino, Maroon 5, Zayn, and Coldplay do not sound remotely alike, yet they all do “pop music” as well.

Well that argument is entirely self defeating because there are different sub genres of Jazz and Rock as well. Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Rachelle Farrell, and Kenny G are all Jazz artists who’s music sounds nothing alike. Same as what you just alluded to (Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Alternative, and Punk). Yes, it’s all rock, but they are different sub genres that sound very different.

That’s not “ironic” at all when you come to the realization that pop means popular! Then it becomes completely logical. Whether or not you think Justin Bieber or whoever sucks is irrelevant. That’s a matter of personal taste, of which there is no right or wrong. What we are debating are the facts of what “pop” means, and how it has always existed. You have singled out specific artists only because they fall into the same sub genre of pop, are around the same age, and all came out at the same time. That is not the genre of pop music! Pop encompasses more than what you have narrowed it down to. As I said, Backstreet Boys were doing the same thing that Jackson 5 was doing in the 70s. Production quality has affected the sound, but the genre is the same.

11. Running Horse

Possibly. I referenced them mainly due to their shared sound but I'll admit that I'm not over 30 yet.

I also find it ironic that you would bother to so vehemently quibble over your all encompassing definition of pop or my more refined one yet you want to lump people who don't like pop into such a specific category as hipster. I'm glad that you believe music to be so much more broad than the mind of a man.

You want to cling to your beliefs fine but just remember all they are is your beliefs. Pop music doesn't actually exist, nor rock, nor classical, nor country. And yes Beiber is an asswipe

12. Bryce

Bryce A nut busting poster is a happy poster!

And I’m sorry that you are so stubborn and emotional about this issue that you cannot reason your way through it by addressing the points I’ve made which debunk your arguments. You can’t even acknowledge an objective fact about what pop music is defined as in the first place. I didn’t say you were a hipster because you don’t like popular music. I was calling you a hipster because you decided to dislike anything that’s popular (because it’s popular), or so I initially thought. Because that’s what hipsters do when they say they don’t like things that are popular. But now since you’ve clearly invented your own definition of what is “pop”, and narrowed it down to basically Justin Bieber and Britney Spears, I no longer think you are a hipster. Now I think you’re just ignorant, because your argument is demonstrably ignorant in that it does not conform to objective facts.

13. Running Horse

The only objective facts where music is concerned are.
    1: Music is the act of composing a assortment of random sounds into something that is approaching order
    2: Music is inherently transitional
    3: Music is inherently subjective

So nice try but you can't proffer subjective opinions based upon the subjective opinions of a group of people & call them objective. No amount of consent can make an opinion objective. I'm sorry that my questioning of your opinions on music makes me "ignorant" but if true so be it.

14. OrleansWordsmith

OK let's not name call. No one is ignorant. We're trying to get to a studied meeting of minds from many sources. I'd say music genres and sub genres have a degree of subjectivity aligned according to who presents the standard of those genres. If you don't agree with the pundits on it. You don't. But general standards help during discussions. And some proto logical arguments can be made over somewhat subjective issues. Bieber and Swift have done some public acting out because, let's face it, they have command of public arenas and fans don't see them as doing any wrong if they're "entertaining." That doesn't make anyone an asswipe. Is he stupid, annoying and detestable? He's a young man whose fame likely has gone to his head. Same with her to a lesser degree. Some deal with fame better than others. Do you know him personally? No. Might not be prudent to judge.

15. OrleansWordsmith

THAT squirrel exhibits odd behavior and therefore may possibly be in the 2%....hmmm...

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

"Groundbreaking" is not for average people... ;)

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I have heard house music and trance music interchangeably. Like where you think you're hearing house, but someone says it's some kind of trance. I don't mind so much when someone calls a song one genre or another. It's really not that important most of the time.

Does anyone play anything instrument wise? I play guitar. I know... off topic.

18. OrleansWordsmith

LIttle guitar a little piano... rusty...but love both...

19. Running Horse

Wasn't calling anyone ignorant. Simply pointing out that his views like the ones I've been espousing are subjective in nature. My view on Beiber is my own. I stand by it. Holding someone to a moral standard is perfectly fine in my opinion

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Then you must grasp the concept of genre to a certain degree. It makes me sad that not everyone understands that there are genres. I read some music articles that label something a genre that doesn't fit. It bugs me.