Just Wondrin' - Q for vegans

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by weaselpop, May 27, 2004.

1. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

I was just wondering whether you would bring up your child a vegan from the start. An aquaintance of mine was, and she wasn't very healthy because of it. I know there are loads of alternatives with the right nutrients and stuff, but I don't know if I would want to take the risk. I'd like to know more about it too, though only out of curiosity.

2. Summertime

Summertime Member

I think there is information on www.vegsoc.org but I can't remember, so sorry if there isn't! I think it's perfectly fine to bring a child up vegan, cows milk is meant for baby cows not baby humans and meat isn't that healthy at all anyway, so your child would probably be the healthiest one if vegan! Of course you need to make sure your child get nutrients etc but I would check that even if I ate meat. Meat eating doesn't automatically equal healthy eating :)
    I would bring any children of mine up as vegans. It's silly to be vegetarian yourself but feed your kids meat. Kinda defeats the object.

Summer. xx.

3. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

What's unhealthy about meat? Surely it depends on how it's raised? I only eat organic meat eggs.

What about when the child becomes to old for breast milk?

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Ditto Summer and Didge :)

What's unhealthy about meat? Surely it depends on how it's raised? I only eat organic meat eggs.

Err plenty.
    The organic meat issue is an argument I've had many a time with my parents. My basic reasoning is the lifestyle is virtually irrelevant considering the animals (organic or otherwise) suffer the same grim fate.

What about when the child becomes to old for breast milk?

Soya, almond or rice milk, depending on personal taste.
    With regards diet proper, then just whatever grown up vegans eat. With special attention paid to getting enough calcuim, iron and other important things for growing babes.

I fully intend to raise veg*an children. For all the reasons I'm vegetarian myself.

TTFN

Sage

5. Summertime

Summertime Member

Meat is surprisingly unhealthy. I'm not sure of the statistics or anything but it causes high cholestrol, and the animals are pumped full of chemicals and hormones and anti-biotics. Organic meat is healthier, I guess, but a vegan diet has been proved (again, I don't have the exact statistics) to be healthier than an omnivorous diet. As for when the child becomes too old for breast milk, simply substitute it for soya milk, or no milk at all. There are plenty of milkless drinks and it's easy to avoid drinking it/eating dairy, especially if you've done it from birth. I don't know if there's anything specifically bad about eggs health wise, but there's ethical issues involved.

Summer. xx.

6. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Thanks for that!! My sis is going on a dairy free diet cause of her asthma, and i think she'll be interested. :)

7. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I am and if i had kids i would want the best for them.Why do something for you and not your kids.

8. Summertime

Summertime Member

No, I meant milk shouldn't be pasturised etc. because it isn't made for humans. Natural cows milk is for cows, the fact that we have to go through many processes for us even to be able to drink it should prove it's not good for us. I used to have asthma too, and I'd have an attack every time I drunk a glass of milk. Both me and my mum suffer from sinus problems and dairy aggrevates that too, so I just try and steer clear of it. A lot of people are lactose intolerant, that should say something about the "goodness" of milk.....

Summer. xx.

9. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I'm intolerant towards christians. Does this say something about the 'goodness' of christians? ;)

10. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

;-) That was quite funny, actually :D

But I think what she was trying to say is that something that a lot of people are allergic to, certainly cannot be all that healthy... in the same way that humans respond negatively to excess UV rays, radioactive emissions, biological weapons and all that stuff, just shows they're not healthy...

11. Summertime

Summertime Member

Yeah, thanks Sonja, that's exactly what I meant :)

Hehe, Dok's comment made me laugh anyway ;)

Summer. xx.

12. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

I dunno, lots of people are allergic to strawberries, peanuts, and tree nuts. But if you aren't allergic to strawberries, peanuts and tree nuts they are perfectly healthy to eat.

13. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

We live in London, worst luck. It isn't called the big smoke for nothing. but i love it so.

14. Summertime

Summertime Member

Yeah but there's a difference between being allergic to things, and being intolerant of them. People aren't usually intolerant of the food above, just allergic. Many, many people are allergic to milk or lactose intolerant, some don't even realise it.

Summer. xx.