Just when I said AGR was Useless...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by WanderingturnupII, Jun 1, 2004.

1. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Karin Zirk posted the following there. That woman makes way too much sence to be messing around there. I'm surprised they let her stay.

Instead of stressing about where the gathering is going to be, whatabout getting ready for it?Here's some things we can do to prepare ourselves and contribute to asafe and sane gathering for everyone.
    * Stock up on toilet paper to bring to the gathering
    * Get a local circle going to discuss ways your local family can contribute to the gathering. This could be 3 people or 30.
    * Build a handicapped person shuttle per instructions Mamaturtle shared with us.
    * Get your camping gear in order.
    * Brainstorm on something positive you can do for the local community on your way into the gathering.
    * Go to http://www.welcomehome.org and read all the cool info about gathering to prepare yourself.
    * Start getting your car in working order - all lights, turn signals, whipers, seatbelts, etc. Make sure you have registration, a drivers license and insurance.
    * Build raised shitters - a Square plywood box with a whole on the top and a lid and no bottom.
    * Get a job and earn some money so you can buy a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies to the gathering.
    * Fix up some of those old tarps laying around and bring them to the gathering.
    * Collect art supplies and bring them to the gathering.
    * Do a teach in for all the folks planning on coming home in your local community.
    * Plan a dog or cat camp to care for dogs or cats whose owners don't have their shit together.
    * Plan a ceremony to share with the family
    * Prepare an act for the variety show
    * Plan some activities to do with the kids in Kid Village
    * Make a committment to work Welcome Home and the Front Gate with a few of your friends.
    * Do the ground work for hands free hand wash stations.
    * Do a fund raiser in your local community and donate the proceeds to the Magic Hat.
    * Start working out so you'll be in shape for hauling stuff at the gathering
    * Prepare a workshop to share with the family on something you are interested in.And the list goes on and on.
    Love,Karin

2. raven23

raven23 Member

I can't believe that woman just told me to get a job.
    yeah, she's got her shit together. I've been following her scouting reports, and pestering her for some inside poop on where the gathering might be. Cause I'm getting married there and my folks are flying in, and you know parents, they have this thing about wanting to know ahead of time what airport to fly into.
    And hey, can that dog camp be somewhere out of earshot of the gathering? I know people realize that the polite thing to do is just leave your dog at home, but I'm a road-dog too, and I know what it's like to not have a home to leave the dog at. That's why I don't have one.

3. m6m

m6m Member

WanderingturnupII,

That was a great list!
    Was that your list, or the Woman's.
    Either way thanks for posting it!

Funny, I just got my van back from the mechanic and now its in good running order (for an old rig).

4. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

Welcome home wont be posting directions obn there site this year...... dude that maintains the site said hs tired of the bullshit (its on the site about it)

anyone know where else too look on the net for directions or a holding camp out that way let me know

5. Peasento

Peasento Member

People bring cats to the gathering?!

6. graven

graven Member

Peasento ~

There was a cat at the Ocala regional, her owner kept her on a leash, and she would stay right around the camp, just like a dog. I know not everyone is as caring with their animals, but it can be done.

7. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

I remember that at cat My dog tryed palying wih t snce shes so use to cats and he went nuts...

8. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Cats...ferrets...goats...llamas...horses...mules...snakes...birds...iguanas...Krishnas brought an Elephamt to North Carolina in '87, and A-Camp stole it. Or so the hipstory goes, I dunno, I wasn't there.

9. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

Karin has always been the den mother to the hippy scouts, lol.

My dog has been to 5 gatherings, he is cool & known around, people who don't know us always make out loud comments when we pass by, about not briging dogs to the gathering, my dog
    enjoys his time there, never bothers anyone. But come to think of it, what would a gathering be without "Highholys" ?

10. paix

paix Senior Member

hahahahahaha, that's gotta be one of the funniest rainbow stories I've ever heard!

leave it to A-camp to steal an elephant, man I hope that story is true...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

11. makno

makno Senior Member

i was there in 87 , and there was an elephant there . the fool haris brought .....there was a rapid infective disintary and the last thing i did before i got sick was eat at krishna kitchen

12. Spore Radical

Spore Radical Member

Where'd you get that picture? It looks like an original little hawk sign.

13. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Lol, that's what I was thinking when I saw it.
    I had one of those tacked to my wall at one point in existance...

a long long time ago before I became something quite different than yesterday.

Ever hear the story about why pine trees are always green?

14. Spore Radical

Spore Radical Member

little hawk helped me in my life and he's helped alot of others... his legends are real and his heart is one of the biggest in the family. The man gets beat up, arrested, ran over, and burned alive, lookin out for his family, and asks for more.

15. MamaTheLama

I still remember when he tried to escape the tree pigs via canoe.
    They were just standing on the shore trying to figure out where he would land.

16. Spore Radical

Spore Radical Member

i've heard that story, that was michigan nationals, no?

17. MamaTheLama

Shawnee...unless he's done it more than once, lol.

18. too_informed

too_informed Member

Beautiful Cat in Ocala last year. WELL Cared for. Miami Family (when attending) brings their cat!!!!!!!!!

too_Informed