Just how F*cked is our economy and what comes next?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Apr 17, 2020.

?

Are we fucked?

1. We're always fucked.

34.8%
  2. We're not yet, but it's coming

21.7%
  3. Yea, it will be bad, but not REALLY bad.

4.3%
  4. It won't be as bad as the 1930s.

17.4%
  5. It's a nothing-burger, get on with your life and stop whining.

8.7%
  6. Plant lots of marijuana!

26.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah. They were fucking monsters. Yet Trump still killed more Americans than even they did. He needs to pay for this genocide.

2. How many does he kill when he flips on a light? Is it more than when he farts?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's interesting, while essential services continue to thrive, we now learn that everything we take for granted and that of which is completely unessential in our lives literally runs our lives. I'm talking about haircuts and electronics shopping, mobile phones, makeup, clothes shopping etc. where many people work, are classed as non essential.

Puts things in perspective of how much we actually rely on non essential and quite frankly, polluting products in our world, yet the world cannot function without the sustained effort to produce such goods that we onky take for granted and selfishness.

Well I dunno if "interesting" is the right word, abolishing scenario perhaps lol.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

People out and about kind of kicked up another notch today for some reason

I found myself missing the empty streets, no queues for coffee, and lack of traffic

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that happened yesterday here (i'm not sure exactly how the time zones look here vs there, so maybe it was actually the same day). i got off work and went to grab some fast food, like i do almost every day, and i ended up just going home because every single drive through line was wrapped around the building and into the street.

then today was back to normal. i'm stumped.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Bit of a cold snap here today, so it's back to the way it was last week. Bizarre. I guess people have just gotten used to netflixing and chilling

7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I hate to be picky, but aren't you confusing the VC and NVA with Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia? Admittedly, the VC and NVA committed lots of horrendous atrocities against civilians they accused of collaboration with the South Vietnamese government, but Year Zero and the slaughter of intellectuals was a Khmer Rouge thing, pursuant to Pol Pot's plan to wipe out the previous "decadent" civilization and start over with a proletarian/peasant base. The VC and North Vienam fought the Khmer Rouge.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    srgreene likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The new jobless figures come out today so we'll know for certain.

My guess, we're fucked.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  9. It's not picky when it's right. I was compressing history, which invites flaws. Sort of like the smallpox blanket story.

srgreene likes this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

11. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

"In the year 1930, John Maynard Keynes predicted that, by century's end, technology would have advanced sufficiently that countries like Great Britain or the United States would have achieved a 15-hour work week. There's every reason to believe he was right. In technological terms, we are quite capable of this. And yet it didn't happen. Instead, technology has been marshaled, if anything, to figure out ways to make us all work more. In order to achieve this, jobs have had to be created that are, effectively, pointless. Huge swathes of people, in Europe and North America in particular, spend their entire working lives performing tasks they secretly believe do not really need to be performed. The moral and spiritual damage that comes from this situation is profound. It is a scar across our collective soul. Yet virtually no one talks about it."

STRIKE! Magazine – On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs:

The economy was totally whacked anyway, alot of it was huge waste of everyone's time and wasted more resources then it created for anyone.

12. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

(Uncle) Ho Chi Minh wore glasses.

13. Next, racism in food choices!!!!
    [​IMG]

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

to be fair, it is accurate.

Tishomingo and WritersPanic like this.
  15. Dax

Dax Members

When the entire worlds economy is fucked we will accept any alternative given us by government without question ... that will be the end of our freedom as we know it.

WritersPanic likes this.
  16. What freedom we have is remarkable. Humans generally prefer to subjugate (about 20%) or be subjugated (about 80%). The assholes in charge can put us back into servitude with a series of mouse clicks.

Dax likes this.
  17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The US unemployment rate at 14.7 are depression era numbers - we're screwed.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    WritersPanic likes this.
  18. Yes, I agree.

The only reason we haven't seen a 30's style collective building leap on Wall Street is because of the controls that were added to the monetary and exchange systems over the years. The most recent being Sarbanes-Oxley which requires top executives to certify their books against a 3rd party audit. They have to conform or they don't get to trade on the stock exchange.

But of course, lawyers will save the day for the upper crust.

I had a lot of family who experienced the depression in the 20th century. Then they served in a series of wars all the while having a nuke dangling above them by a horse hair. We depend way too much on the government for our economy. Most of us would be better off trading between each other. We won't have a choice soon it seems.

Learn to make soap, and liquor!

19. srgreene

srgreene Members

WP, I suspect Sarbox has made it much less attractive to be a public company in America today. You see that reflected in the vastly reduced number of public companies in the USA today. I think that is not a good thing- and plays to the advantage of private equity firms and the well-healed investors who are their clients.

Agree, however, that Americans rely far too much on government. The attitude that the world owes you a living has, over the course of our lifetimes, become pervasive.

20. That's because a public company used to be a slush fund. Because it was a non-person entity, so there was no "person" to put in jail! Win-win!!!

Any game you wanted to play could be had in a public company because nobody had to pay for it. SOx put responsibility back into the mix and CEOs everywhere realized how vulnerable they were to the foibles of their underlings. They had been in full speculation mode before and any mistakes were fixed by shifting money from one division to another. Unfortunately this makes a company vulnerable to innovation doldrums where advances move slowly.

SOx added a layer of accountability that had been absent. CEOs were no longer free to let Maverick managers do as they would. But it opened new doors for potential corruption. I blame lawyers and accountants.