Just how F*cked is our economy and what comes next?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Apr 17, 2020.

?

Are we fucked?

1. We're always fucked.

34.8%
  2. We're not yet, but it's coming

21.7%
  3. Yea, it will be bad, but not REALLY bad.

4.3%
  4. It won't be as bad as the 1930s.

17.4%
  5. It's a nothing-burger, get on with your life and stop whining.

8.7%
  6. Plant lots of marijuana!

26.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. parua

parua Members

Things will be ok. We have so many financial and political "tools", nowadays, to keep the economy from going completely to hell. The rich aren't going to let their money/power machine break down.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Everybody knows the economy is based on debt, right?

If people can't pay their rent/mortgage/loans/etc. the whole thing turns into a raging dumpster fire....

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  3. By the way, I meant the bartender's BAC, not the guests.

4. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

A ban on bat soup or kick-ass bat soup mascots.

5. I hear a lot about bat soup, but what I see on the news looks more like Bat-B-Q.

DrRainbow likes this.
  6. DrRainbow

I read it tastes between chicken and mutton.

7. Yea, but chicken tastes like dinosaur.

DrRainbow likes this.
  8. DrRainbow

I can't argue with that.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's clear the consumption of bats in whatever way aren't the problem (well, maybe for you and me :D but not in regards to the corona issue).
    It's the food standards on Chinese markets. They're either not maintained properly in the first place or the people who check are bribed.

Flagme15 likes this.
  10. I'm inclined to think this whole wet market business is just bullshit fluff tossed in to drive the story. To buy it I'm supposed to think that dead diseased bats somehow mutated the virus because of exposure to the rest of the market, to target the hideous humans who were butchering dogs, bats and wildebeests.

I'd sooner believe China's "unofficial" claim (repeated prolifically all over China) that the US military brought Covid-19 into China.

11. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trump's intentional and deliberate mishandling of this catastrophe (not just inaction- he mocked and directly interfered with efforts to contain the disease and enlisted others to help interfere) has now killed more Americans than all enemy forces in Vietnam for the entire last seven years of the Vietnam War combined. But comparing Republicans with the Viet Cong and NVA is inappropriate, because even the Viet Cong and NVA didn't kills tens of thousands of our civilians.

Trump is the most bloody killer in American history, and he needs to face a jury for it. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

12. Buy Alcoa stock!

Really though, the VC and NVA is a seriously flawed example. They killed tens of thousands of their own civilians as well as many from Cambodia. They sought people who wore glasses specifically as they wanted to dispose of all of the "intellectuals" from the previous time. They were starting a Year Zero campaign using torture and executions on a massive scale.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

As i understand the market theory has nothing to do with dead bats. The problem is they're being kept there alive close to other living animals and humans.

I'd sooner believe the alternative theory that it was developed in a Wuhan lab and they fucked up, than that the US military is secretly responsible lol

14. Indeed. The majority of potential infections from a raw critter market are likely to be bacterial as opposed to viral.

But yea, watching China back pedal, deflate casualty numbers while running incinerators 24/7 to the point they were detected by satellites, continue to play the Taiwan game and silence anyone who talks about it (even foreign press outlets), is enough to make me doubt the US Military theory, being pushed by China!

15. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

because most of rural china is a fuckin' third world country.

If you remember, I mentioned that I know a low level minion who works for the state department. there was a belief among the minions that trump had the virus developed to get back at chinar. unfortunately, trump didn't think of the repercussions.

I alwys liked the bamboo chutes under the fingernail technique.

16. That's kind of a long shot. One doesn't just hatch a virus on demand. But the stories about this "lab" lead me to think that all kinds of incompetence may be involved.

Easier to just pull the nails off. However, I saw a unique variation of this on Mr. Robot when a guy was being punished by having a syringe needle pushed under one of his nails, and then broken off flush. He'd have needed a pair of $35 needle nose pliers to remove it himself.

17. srgreene

srgreene Members

18. srgreene

srgreene Members

I think just-in-time delivery can be fairly easily resolved, if it is indeed a problem. However, it will increase costs of goods.

What is far more of a problem is the mountain of debt we are accruing as a result of this shutdown of nearly a third of the economy. I also am very wary of how liberty has been compromised. A very common motif in the slippery slope toward tyranny is the need to "respond to an emergency". As Obama's (chief of staff was it?) Rahm Emmanuel said, "Never let an crisis go to waste".

19. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I worked in manufacturing when JIT was being implemented. It works fine if all the moving parts are in sync.
    I heard a financial guy say that it could be a double dip recession
    or "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"-anon

20. Exactly, the JIT practice is thousands of spinning plates with thousands of inter-dependencies. Like any chain or sequential event, damage to links leads to collapse. Restarting is another issue.

And I still think we're heading into a depression.