Just curious and for clarification.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Fireatjohnny, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Fireatjohnny

Fireatjohnny Member

Reading around the forums for the past month i've learned alot about dreading. Something's been bothering me though for a while.

By suggesting that we don't wash every two weeks, are we implying that we do not shower at all for two weeks? That we only wash our bodies and then our hair every two weeks? Or that we shower often, body and hair, but only use a specific shampoo every two weeks?

Slightly lost here.

2. stalk

stalk Banned

I wear a beanie in the shower and keep my hair up.
    Shower as much as you want....
    wash your hair...not so much.

3. telephone

telephone weird

Wash your body (and hair) as often as you feel is necessary. When I first got my dreads I would shower every other day, but only wash my hair about once a week. Now I only wash my hair about once every week and a half to two weeks, and pretty much only shower when I wash my hair. I wash some parts of my body like my face and stuff everyday, but I only do the full head to toe shower when I wash my hair, and I don't feel dirty in between showers. So I guess it's all up to you.

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i too wash mine every week to 2, i shower when i feel dirty, wash my hair when i have the energy (its a chore now) i preffer to wash it weekly, but whos got the time
    especialy in winter with how long it takes to dry

wash it as often as ya want, but every day is a waste...

5. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

I wash once or twice a week and shower every day. Don't use special shampoo.

6. Malphas

Malphas Member

I shower everyday with tights on my head, but avoid washing my hair at all costs! Hate how it feels when its damp for days!

7. erizoe

erizoe Member

i shower every day (er...most days =p) and my hair gets thoroughly soaked each time. But i only wash/clean it about once a month, maybe less.

wash if it feels gross, otherwise, some water won't hinder it, unless you go to sleep when it's still wet, then it feels really gross the next day or two =( how do you guys dry your hair? I haven't figured out a better way than waiting a few hours after squeeeeeezing it with a towel.

8. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ordinary shampoo leave residue in the hair? And therefore residue-free shampoo like Dr Bronners is needed?

9. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

if you rinse your hair thoroughly, you sholdn't have a problem. I use Head and shoulders & don't have a problem.

Just one question tho, how do you have damp hair for days ??? I squeeze all the water out of them, dry them as much as I can in a towel & wrap them in a towel for an hour or 2 then let them air dry, they are a little damp when I go to bed, but when I wake up there dry, just wondereing what you guys do to have damp dreads for 2 days ??? doesn't mold start to grow inside ???

10. bunjies

bunjies Member

i wash mine every week/week and a half, unless i know i spilt crap on em at work (i do kerbside recycling and pick up food waste bins, ick they can get a little juicy them bins can!)
    i have a bath every day. i dont like showers, water splashing on my face freaks me out unless its rain??

11. daisydaisy

daisydaisy Member

I wash my hair once a week, and just put my hair up in a bun or shower cap when I shower every day. I also blowdry my hair sometimes if I shower at night..I don't like going to bed with wet dreads.