Just a quick question. . .

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by bigT, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bigT

bigT Member

Is MJ smoke more harmful than Cigarette smoke?

Thanks a lot!

2. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

No, although Marijuana MAY contain more tar per gram than Tobacco, the amount consumed is no where close. Tobacco is also far more addictive.

3. DR. REEFER

DR. REEFER Member

it all depends on how much of each is taken. i know in my case i smoke both weed and cigarettes so obviously that cant be doing any good. if you just smoke weed you probably wont do as much damage to your lungs as cigarettes unless you smoke a joint like anywhere between 5-8 times a day.

4. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Right. The old propoganda goes "one joint is equal to 4 cigarettes" but think about actual usage patterns: if you smoke a joint at a time and smoke, say 3 times a week, thats like 12 cigarettes a week. But the average tobacco smoker smokes between 1/2 to 2 packs a day (10-40 cigarettes), every day of the week. So that's anywhere from 70-280 cigarettes a week.

And really, there isn't really much evidence that a joint is worse than a cigarette. Maybe if you smoked leaves and stems (I think that's what they used in the tests, and thats where the propoganda comes from), but the buds are different. Also, there's fiberglass shards in tobacco (added, of course) that cut up your lungs, and the smoke itself actually constricts your blood vessels (and thus your lung cavities). This not only hampers breathing and gas exchange, but holds all that tar in the lung spaces. Marijuana OPENS the blood vessels and lung cavities (weed is supposedly the most used asthma medicine, illegally of course).

5. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

One Reason that makes it more harmful is the fact that when your puffin on the pipe, you hold your hits in for a longer time(most do), then you would cigaretts.

6. Sheebs

Sheebs Member

Well consider the fact that cigarettes kill half a million people a year (not positive on that number) and weed has never directly killed anyone. So I'm pretty sure that ends the arguement right there.

7. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

Actually sheebs, im pretty sure that number is larger. Alot of people get killed from ciggarettes. There was a movie based on a true stroy, a while ago (rip torn was in it). and it had to do with cigg companies, knowingly adding nicotine in there product, to get people hooked into it. The movie goes on, about a CEO or whatever, signing a confidentiality agreement, then he told the world, about how cigg companies fucked everyone over. Cigg's are much muhc more harmfull then marijuana. Although, cannabis doesn't have its down sides, (everything does), its harsh for your throat, i knwo this, once my strep throat went from a mild case, to an extremly bad case, in 2 nights of token (bad idea), and its not to great for your lungs either... but, it also has its upsides, (as trippin said).

so in final, to answer your question, i personally and stronger feel that ciggs are much worse then pot.

8. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh its like 700,000 die each year from teh alst source i saw

though, as sheebs said, the fact that no one has ever died from marijuana goes to show that its obviously much healthier to smoke weed than cigarettes.

9. irish151

irish151 Member

Cigs cause cancer, there may be more tar in weed, but its not cancerous, so i would say bud is safer. Also, herb is perscribed as a medicine, ive never heard of a cigerette being perscribed lol.

10. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Also consider the fact (and yes, fact) that marijuana contains over 60 cannabinoids that are not found anywhere else and are known to be medically beneficial. And considering the fact that marijuana use supposedly prevents the growth of cancer and stops multiple sclerosis in its tracks.

11. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I just want to add that the tar isn't the worst part of cigarette smoke, the added chemicals are.

12. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

tar and most of the chemicals don't cause cancers, its the carcinogens. THATS whats proven to cause cancer, and THATS what is NOT in pot.

13. volatileBunny

volatileBunny Member

They don't "add chemicals" that are very dangerous, I'm sure a few are bad for you, but that's not the main problem. Whenever you burn something organic you get a whole shit load of random chemicals, that's how incomplete combustion rocks it. I think that the scientific community is leaning towards the radioactive compounds in cigarettes as being a primary source for concern (something like a pack a day smoker recieves 300 chest x-rays worth of radiation a year.)

The key to anything in moderation, of course if you are smoking anything non-stop it will deteriorate your health. Have fun, but just stay on top of your life, that's the moral of the story

14. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

the radioactive chemicals would make perfect sense

however, rasheeke, there are many chamicals in weed that are scientificly classed as carcinogens, but i guess they obviously arent carcinogenic enough

15. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

carcinogens may not be "in pot" but the are in ALL smoke. so if you are smokint it you are getting carcinogens with it. bongs filter out alot of carcinogens but not all of them.
    its not heallthier to smoke marijuana over cigarettes. say you take one hit from a joint and one from a cig. which do you thik is worse for your body. first cigs are filtered and also you dont inhale them into your lungs. joints on the other hand have no filter and you are holding them into your lungs and also for a much longer time than you woul hold cig smoke in

16. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

No one has O.D.'d on pot, ever, that's true. O.d.ing on Cigarettes is also rare. fact of the matter is that inhaling burning plant matter is just not healthy, if you want my opinion cigarettes are much more harmful because a) you smoke alot more cigarettes than you do weed when you are addicted, and B) you can at quit smoking pot a HELL of a lot easier than you can quit smoking cigarettes.

and no more of that chemical hating. Just because something is a chemical doesn't make it bad. Most everything that isn't a chemical is deadly, (mercury, radon, helium...)

17. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

It wouldn't even matter if weed contains more tar or bad things in it than cigerettes.

For example, I saw that anti-drug commercial saying one joint has the same tar as four cigerettes.

Well....how may cigerettes does the average normal smoker smoke? At least a pack a day. Last time I check, even the heaviest pot smoker doesn't smoke 20 joints in a day or anywhere close.

But still, you're inhaling smoke into your lungs which is of course bad for your health. If you think weed is 100% healthy, than your ignorant. But if you think it's worse than cigerettes, than you're REALLY ignorant.

18. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Funny thing is, if you ate a cigarette rather than smoke it, it'd probably kill you. If you ate a joint rather than smoke it, you'd get high and that's about it (or, if it's true THC is really only activated by heat, nothing would happen). The toxicity in marijuana is so extremely low that it's impossible to attain, but cigarettes are far more toxic and could easilly be attained.

19. callinghome

callinghome Member

There's alot of good info in here, that I'm sure could be used to convince the anti-marijuana people out there. THIS NEEDS A STICKY PLEASE :D

20. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

i say cigs are more dangerous simply for the fact of addiction. i rarely smoke bud because of my situation but i smoke about a half pack of newports a day. im quitting cigs (trying again) here shortly (i have a half pack left) and ive made my mom swear to me she will not yield and buy me another pack. Im 16 and to the point where if i run say 50 feet then breathing is strenuous(sp?) and i dont get nicotine buzzez anymore so its not even worth it. 2 days ago when i was returning from VA my flight from charlotte to dallas was delayed and i was scheduled to be on the last flight to abilene for the night and im an unoccompanied minor so it was gonna be a sticky situation if i didnt make that flight. well i arrived in dallas at 8:23 and my flight for Abiline was at 8:46....to anyone who flys alot youd know that you need at least an hour cushion to make it from gate to gate. i checked the departure screens and my gate was at the far end of the terminal. not only that but i was hearing big ass heavy timberlands because my airforces got lost in one of my suitcases that just disapeared over that big US airways disaster on the 26th. so i had to run the full length of DFW to get to my flight in big ass timbs and i made it and was in my seat at 8:44. when i sat down even though im a relatively light smoker my vision doubled and started to go black. i ahd to take big breaths that hurt like a motherfucker(pardon my language) until i could see right again. my chest hurt all that night and the next morning. thats never happened to me while i was only smoking bud and used to run from 5-0 at least twice a weekend. IMO bud smoke is better then cig smoke. i think there should be a forum on here for cigs witha section or sumthing for quitting help and advice....