Judge orders wolves back on Endangered Species List, ending hunting

Discussion in 'Endangered Species and Ecosystems' started by zombiewolf, Aug 5, 2010.

1. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I am except for some Cherokee ancestry, but I can't use that part of my heritage as a way to justify my presence in Georgia. The Cherokee were invaders, not moving to Georgia until the 1500's and displacing native Creek Indians in a series of bloody battles.

If the powers that be decided to repatriate me to the European sub-continent, they'd have some trouble deciding where to put me. I am part Basque, Irish, English, Scot, Swiss and Finn in addition to Cherokee. Maybe I could live in a caravan and rotate my time between each nation so as not to overburden any one of them.

But unlike coyotes, I do not eat my neighbors cats and dogs, though at times I am sorely tempted.

Armadillos have also invaded Georgia. Some idiot brought them across the Mississippi River, a barrier that had kept them out for millenia. But they seem harmless enough, just eating bugs and earthworms and digging up folks gardens. Well as long as it is not my garden!

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i wast just yankin' yer chain

i think we're all invasive anyways, we're all supposed to be in africa, right?

crikey, what a mess . . .

anyways, enjoy the coyotes, they're pretty great [keep your cats indoors]

3. Feles Mala

Feles Mala Member

Excellent news =^.^=

4. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Actually, no. Partial, yes. I have European in me. But I also have some Chocktaw, Cherokee, and Blackfoot. ;)

5. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

It is likely that humanity evolved in Africa, but if some of our ancestors walked east out of Egypt 100,000 years ago, does that make them invasive?

There are cattle egrets in South Georgia, (you know those white birds that perch on cattle all day and eat ticks off their backs) supposedly from Africa and no one knows how they got here. Some folks think that a hurricane blew them across the narrow part of the Atlantic into South America and they gradually expanded their range into the warmer parts of the southeastern US.

I think that creatures that gradually expand their ranges (us to some extent) and creatures that reached new areas accidentally (egrets) can cause as much devastation as creatures that are deliberately brought into foreign ecosystems (coyotes and armadillos).

But this thread began as a discussion about the impact of restoring protection to a top of the chain predator that has only been out of the system for a couple hundred years at most.

Folks lose their faith in ecology when they are no longer top predator in the neighborhood. If grizzly bears, cougars and wolves, were leaping out from behind every bush grabbing our kids as they walk home from school, it would take some getting used to. Of course kids aren't safe from some humans either.

6. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

I guess it depends on your point of view, whether you support a wolf hunt or not. Good news for wolves, bad news for deer, elk, hares, mice and cattle. Yes, there will be some predation on cattle, and I think the enmity between cattlemen and wolves will continue well into the future, so long as they share common territory.

I don't have anything against wolves personally. My dog Maximilian is probably half wolf, and a nicer pet you won't find anywhere.
    [​IMG]

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I hope to live long enough to see the wolf come back to northern California.

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Looks like he's a Chow.

9. euphoriaforall

euphoriaforall Member

This is only for certain states tho i think right? not that i wolf hunt. but im pretty sure wolves arent endangered the whole way across the US, just in certain states. maybe im wrong though.

10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Wolves are extinct in a few states. Predominantly the southwest.

They're more in the northern land-locked states like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, all the way to Minnesota. They're still few in numbers.

One of the reasons many people are protesting their population growth is that wolves keep killing off the deer and elk populations, thereby leaving fewer elk and deer for hunters to hunt.

But I say fuck it and find a better hobby than deer and elk hunting.

11. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

habitat loss also causing those herds problems. Also wolves help feed
    other animals as they don't eat the whole elk. Some of the beasties they
    share the kill with aren't big enough to kill an elk, but eat some anyway.
    And human hunters really do need a new hobby!
    peace
    Delfynasa
    in a state with re-introduced wolves