Joshua & Car

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by MattInVegas, Jan 16, 2005.

1. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I've been asked to scan these onto the web. So, here they are. Pictures of UnionPacificRailroad, (Josh) and his car. (Betsy)
    (The rest are too big!)

2. MattInVegas

I'll work on the others to make them fit, and post them later.

3. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

YEEEE HAWWWWWW,thats great Josh(thanx Matt).Nothing feels better then your first ride,especially one that needs lots of love to bring it back.Right on little bro !!!

4. MattInVegas

Let me try a couple more. (Cropped to size.)

5. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow! That's quite a beauty Josh. Congrats!

6. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

PEace,

thank you. i love her to :) hey Matt do you have some pictures of the rust by the rear doors? ( its the worst rust on the old girl. one of the best things to get you tied to your car is working on it :) oh and i was smiling on the first picture. it just looks like i am sad! i am usualy happy when with the old girl :)

later

the tired flwoer child

7. MattInVegas

I don't think I have that one. I have the Radio/battery/whatever it is. And one of your new hoses, and the Cherry Bomb muffler twins. Are those Glass Pak by the way?
    I'll email you what I do have, Maybe you can make them small enough for this sites limits. Damned if I know how.

8. unionpacificrailroad

Peace Matt,

what is a glass pack? but those cherry mufflers are very groovy!

later

the tired flwoer child

9. MattInVegas

Glass Paks are filled with Glass Beads. (I think.) Anyway, they make your motor sound REAL good.

10. atropine

atropine Member

im pretty sure glasspaks are packed with fibreglass particles.. not 100% on that though

11. homebudz

Glasspaks usually have a center baffle with fiberglass batting wrapped around it.Cherry bombs are a brand of glasspak.These are 50's technology and are illegal in most states.The new high performance mufflers actually accelerate the exhaust gases to add a scavenging effect.This is done thru inovative computer design.I recently had a cat-back flowmaster exhaust system put on my truck.The increase in power was noticable,but I improved my around town mileage my 3mpg.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Cat backs are for catalitc (sp) converter systems I don't think you'll find one for an old Chevy.

But, the great thing about Chevys is you can find a million after market parts for em. There have to be all kinds of high flow mufflers out there.

Glass packs et al used to be illegal in Pa., in fact you weren't allowed to change your exhaust system in any way at all.

But now you can get a hot rod registration for older cars and do just about anything you want. I think there are limits on how often you can drive it though. Check your state laws, they probably have a site on the net. Also there are no more laws on how loud your system can be (in Pa).

Heck last time I knew anyone in Ohio they didn't even inspect cars.

As a side note for Homebuz...back in the early seventies I used to work at a Yamaha dealer building "custom" 650's into "Choppers" Extended front ends, shortes, king-queen seats, Z-bars, coffen tanks, that stuff- no real frame work. Then we hada get them retitled to be legal. Then the cops would still pull you over and ram the old broom stick up the pipes to check for baffles. You still needed mirrors, front brakes, turn signals, etc.

But now, just lately my nephew brought up a 650 Yam Special he built in Florda so I hada take it for a ride. His first chop, he's 20 I think. It was great, a welded on Trump hard tail I'd given him, steel tractor seat, 6" over raked front end, no mirrors or turn signals, primered everything, straight pipes, no side stand (he flips the kick starter down and uses it) Flordia plates mounted on the side of the wheel, and it almost ran.

I got up the highway a 1/4 mile and it started backfireing etc. Turns out he had a loose primary wire I stuck back together when I pulled over. So I head back and right where I gotta turn in sits a state cop. And I'm thinking sh-t he's gonna pull me over and I gotta explain this bike cause he can't see any license plate at all from his angle, I got no paperwork, not even my driver's license, and its an outa state bike that looks like it already fell apart.

So I pull in right beside him cause if I keep going I gotta go another 5 miles to get back where I am (divided highway)...and the bike stalls right in front of him!

D-m I'm thinking...but he never even looked!
    I just kicked it a few times, fired it up and continued on!

Never woulda happened in the old days. He woulda had squad cars all over the place.

Excuse my rambling......must be getting old........

13. homebudz

Yup,cat-back systems are for vehicles equipped with catalitic converters,the 57 chebby ain't got one,,,but the mufflers go on any vehicle,and they are legal.

I know very well the days when I couldn't ride my pan more then 20 miles in any direction without being stopped by the pigs.And when ya ask em why they stopped you,they would always say they were looking for a bike just like the one you happen to be riding.That don't happen too much anymore due to the wallet riders that abound nowadaze.

14. atropine

atropine Member

knew it was something to do with fibreglass :H

15. homebudz

Compared to the new performance mufflers on the market,glasspaks suck.I ran them one time when I was a kid,put them on my 65 k-model mustang.I didn't like the raspy sound they made.Napa at that time introduced a performance muffler with a single baffle that sounded good and deep,and was legal.I put a set of those on,got a ticket for running glasspaks,took it to court,showed the judge the reciept for the Napa challengers,and won my case.Cause they ain't straight thru glasspaks.I'm running flowmaster 40 series on my truck and they have a very deep throaty sound when you jump on it,and nice mellow tone when cruisin'.

16. WE1

WE1 Member

Glasspack mufflers [fiberglass impregnated] gave an engine a deep mellow rumbling sound that was all the rage in the 50s thru mid 60s. When horsepower took over and you then needed a more free flowing exhaust systems to handle the higher horsepower of the big block engines;that started to appear in many cars in 1965. Because the glasspacks by nature of there design [being packed full of fiberglass] were extreamy restrictive and actually reduced engine power in the higher RPM ranges.

17. unionpacificrailroad

Peace,

it looks like a inner piece of round metal with cuts and the metal yanked down sort of like a under ground tunnel opening. how it curves down and flat. so yes it is a glass pak muffler. and not 1 but 2 of them!

later