Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by bonnaroo03, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bonnaroo03

bonnaroo03 Member

what do yall think is hte true meaning behind this book?

2. sasja

sasja Member

It was long time ago, when I readed it. acually heard the story on a cassette.
    Beautiful. I think that Jonathan's learning the true value of life.

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

beautiful story... I love it

4. sasja

sasja Member

yeah, it's so deep and beuatiful written.
    I'm now about to read Hamlett , from William Shakespear

5. bonnaroo03

bonnaroo03 Member

so it was just about the deeper meaning to life? i bought it at a book store at bonnaroo last year and read it for like 2 hours strate and couldnt put it down

6. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i read this back in the day

i was too young to understand it, ive been meaning to re read it soon

7. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

It's my favorite book of all time because it changed my life. It has different meanings to different people, but to me it means not being afraid to be yourself, even in the face of adversity. It means finding your own way, being your own Savior; leading instead of following. Becoming one with the Godhead within you instead of worshipping some Messiah. It means loving what you choose to do in life and doing it with passion and joy. Like I said-my favorite book!!!!!!!:D

8. freesue

freesue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It's been a long time ago when I read that book, but, I vividly remember the affect it had on me.

To me, it spoke of taking "...the road less traveled..." Johanthan struggled within himself...he new he was not like the other birds who spent all their time flying in circles over carron, only thinking of food. Johanthan had no interest in this, he only wanted to soar, high above the clouds. At times he felt like a loner....yet, he still refused to be like the other birds. By staying true to himself he was able to relize that it was ok to be different. There was a reason he did not fit in with the other birds. He was meant for "higher" travels.

If you really liked this book there is another by Bach that is called "Illusions, the story of the relunctant Messiah..." that you might also enjoy.

Sue

9. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

J L Seagull was great. I think the message was 'Believe!'
    in yourself, in miracles, in others, in love,......just believe.

Illusions, the book Sue just mentioned, was awesome. I liked it even more. Same message, believe in yourself. Bach's writing has definitely made an impact on my life for the better.

10. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

I think it was about transcending one's limitations (one's ego, one's imaginary inablilities, the assumptions of one's culture, one's unexamined "beliefs," etc.), finding out just how far one can go with this transcendence, and then returning to help others transcend their limitations.

It is the classic story of the Bodhisattva.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

bach is one authour that i can read and reread. i still get something new from him every time i reread one of his books. he always seems to be able to wake me up and show me things that i knew were there already but that i had forgotten about for a while.

12. pagansrule!

pagansrule! Member

I read this short novel today, and was spellbound. The clear, concise description of a bird aspiring to be more than just a bird was amazing. Has anyone else read it?

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

That was one of my favourite books as a kid, and I still love it. :)

14. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

I read it I don't know how many times and loved it. It's one of my fave books. :)

15. ydnim

ydnim hiya

I did love it when i read it in school. now i have a record of it. the story can really mellow me out. YaY for yardsales!

16. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I read it when I was about 9 and it was my favorite book for years. :)

17. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

it's such a classic read, I'm glad to see others keep discovering it! :)

18. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

Trying to remember what Richard Bach said about the creation of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." In a essay/bio/book he wrote much later in life. He sat down to write and this story started to stream into his head, he wrote as quickly as he could trying to keep up. It continued for a few hours/days and then stopped. The story was not complete. He put it away and went on with life. Seven? years later when he sat to write the story came back as before and he finished the book. It was published as a children's book, but found favor with all ages. I read most of his books, but none as great as "Jonathan."