Joker

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, I dont really get the argument that a movie is hard to watch because it reminds one of something unpleasant. Thats the basis of every good revenge movie, you so want the bad guys to die

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Joker was a great film. I saw it Tuesday night at the theaters for $5. That's the only day I'll go to the theaters these days.

The great thing about Joker, is that the powers that be have written article after article on why they think it's a dangerous movie which will inspire violence. The reality is that the movie challenges the media's narrative on why violence occurs in the first place. It challenges the narrative that every killer, terrorist, or mass shooter was just a normal guy with a gun who snapped one day, or more idiotically was just 'born evil.'

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    newbie-one likes this.
  3. It's true that people sometimes do call what they don't understand evil. Halloween is a good reminder of this. I suppose you can see how.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yes, all the negative reviews seem to talk about gun violence, apparently this movie more dangerous than the John Wick movies with 100 headshots

Or if not gun violence, the film supposedly doesnt follow the media narrative on mental illness.

All the negative reviews also seem to be from the same kind of news outlets, if you know what I mean

This the craziest one so far, no surprise its from CNN, but even their editor felt the need to ad a disclaimer to point out this guy is a freelance writer:

"While many reviewers have focused on Fleck as an "incel" hero -- his status as a sexless loner who turns to violence -- the true nature of the movie's appeal is actually broader: It's an insidious validation of the white-male resentment that helped bring President Donald Trump to power.

........A man who has been crushed underfoot by the elite, dragged down by equality-demanding feminists and climbed over by upstart nonwhite and immigrant masses."

Some crazy leftist stuff there curiously written by a gay asian male

Todd Phillips' 'Joker' -- a political parable for our times (Opinion) - CNN

5. That's not leftist. It's fascist. And somehow Donald Trump isn't a white male? What? He's the whitest male.

And as far as I'm aware, being a sexless loner isn't of itself a crime, and doesn't make one an incel. I saw nothing "incel" about the Joker. He wasn't great with the women you see in the film, but you can tell he cared about them. He freaking bathes his mother, for crying out loud. I don't know of too many incels who would do that.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, that was part of my point, I saw no equality demanding feminists or immigrant masses in the film

7. As far as real life consequences go, Heath Ledger's Joker was far more dangerous. He made violence seem cool. Joaquin's Joker is the farthest thing from being a cool guy. He's not exactly going to inspire anyone to kill. Albeit, his personality kind of transforms when he ultimately turns into the Joker, though he was still kind of a crybaby on the set of the Murray Franklin show. "Nobody's civil to each other anymore!" I would be interested in seeing the character progress to an even more confident person behind the mask.

8. It's almost like some of these journalists wanted there to be some kind of violence. I wonder if they do have a dark craving for stories like that.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats my point, and I think 6s as well. There is definately something funky going on with part of the media wanting to follow a certain narrative. Stuck out like a saw thumb with the reviews of this movie

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

YES and they use music terribly
    they often have constant background music when there is no call for it.

I'll listen to your film recommendations.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I would not be suprised if the majority of incels actually have a real soft spot for one woman in particular; their moms. Not saying this joker is an incel of course (haven't even seen the movie yet)

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

May not surprise you, but I would hold a completely opposite theory

Not that the parents have that much of an influence in such things

13. Asmodean

What is your theory? I would expect if its the complete opposite that something the parents did or didn't had a significant impact.
    I agree that a young man becoming an incel is most likely beyond a parents influence. But it seems they can't deal with or relate to sexual attractive women. They likely don't have such a perception of their own mom (in most cases at least :p), hence they can have a normal or even loving relation with the one woman in their life, mommy.

14. Joker is not a movie about an incel. The character would never join such a group. He's much too gentle and innocent. In fact, he's so gentle and innocent, I really would like to see how he's going to transform into a character that would stand a chance against the Batman. You only get a hint of it in the movie, when he steals a guy's mask, and one guy punches another guy in the face. And that's all, like a five second moment out of one and a half hours.

Asmo, you're already changing your opinion on incels. Now they love their mothers. He also had something of a crush on another woman in the movie, who is never portrayed in a negative light, only positive. This whole incel/Joker thing is completely baseless, and I find it especially annoying. The stereotype of the incel is one who hates all women. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats kind of more for its own thread, too long winded for here

But watch the movie first, tell me what you think. Because there is an important part to it, a rather big betrayal on the part of his mother

Edit: but ditto on the second paragraph of neons post above. I too found the joker/incel link annoying given how he actually is with the women in the movie

16. This movie really needs a sequel, because it's not really explained how he actually is the Joker. He's really just a do-gooder with a strong conscience. Far from Heath Ledger's Joker. It isn't really shown how he develops the desire to actually turn Gotham upside down. This Joker is basically just Travis Bickle who happens to part time as a clown.

17. Asmodean

Fair enough about not expanding on the incel thingie here (maybe you wanna post it in one of the recent threads about incels though? Im wondering now!)
    But that link is mainly made by reviewers right? Wouldn't bother too much about that. I recall that pointless and lengthy convo about The last jedi and how disgusting people thought it catered to PC stuff (same with Lando's droid in Solo lol). Some people make a big deal out of nothing. RunningHorse got his panties in a twist about that stuff without even seeing the movie haha. He solely based his view on some angry reviewers who were mainly at odds with current societal changes

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok, well, short and sweet, you say guys close to their mothers, first thing I think of is gay guys or Howard Wolowitz types

Incel types: Elliot Rodgers parents divorced when he was 7, and he went to therapy that same year. Others like the Sandy Hook shooter, mother would have been scared of him well before their crimes

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wasnt going to see this movie because I dont really like comic book movies
    But I think I will based on this thread alone. Because it doesnt sound like a typical comic book movie and also because I want to see if my take on it is similar to Vg and neon's interpretations

Driftrue likes this.