Joker

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

All the reviews I read of this movie all went the same way; that we are supposed to feel wrong about feeling sympathy for a guy that ends up being a villan; its a diary of the downward slide of a guy with "obvious" mental issues, apparently uncomfortable to watch. Usually ending with a paragraph on how this movie may inspire incels.

Almost like even film critics nowadays are too scared to go against the singular mob ideal of what we should think less they get attacked on social media

I saw a very different film. A guy that is awkward, in a shitty job, shitty neighbourhood. But definately not with mental issues, or if so ones caused by his surroundings and people constantly telling him there is something wrong with him.

For the most part it is an anti elitism film. The rich guys of Gotham are the bad guys causing all the suffering.

There is one particular scene, this is not much of a spoiler as you still have to see the movie to get the context; but he is in the train, gets bullied by three wankers, gets punched in the face, knocked to the ground, then he ends up shooting them. This is the kind of stuff the reviewers are telling me I should feel wrong about empathizing and taking the jokers side. And I'm like really? Yeah sure murder is wrong, bur I'm not going to be like, oh those poor bullies got shot.

Anyway, movie is shit good, one of those ones where you get glued to every minute

djomalley likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Glued with what? :eek: :p

I'm also interested. Never been interested in a Batman movie or the joker before, so I think they're doing something good with this character. Not really concerned about the loonies in America. They're already there and get triggered pretty much daily already anyway.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

upload_2019-10-7_18-17-15.png

Nitocris likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its definately not a comic book movie, could have easily been re done to not be about a batman villian at all

Where its controversial is once he starts to do nasty stuff he also seems to wake up to the world, certainly grows more confident, stops taking his meds, belittle his counsellors

5. I'm watching it illegally for the second time. The first time I paid, so I figure it all figures. And it's completely different from what I remember. The chronology is all wrong. Maybe it's just hard for me to watch a movie in the theater. But I take this as a very positive sign, because I love it more now.

It's a really great movie, and I love that directors are going back to the old style of movies. Like, some of them are actually trying to be filmmakers again, instead of just desperately trying to make a lot of money.

I also feel the Joker was completely justified in killing those three young men. It was clearly assault, and I think he'd win the jury's favor in a Stand Your Ground state.

DC, though, they are fucking morons. They have this kind of capacity, as was seen in the Dark Knight, to have truly gritty worlds. You could even make Superman this twisted if you knew how. I know how. But instead they give us fucking Suicide Squad. I'm not going to bitch, though. But it's just such a waste.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think that happened to me when I watched "Solo" or one of the new Star Wars'.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, same here, I saw it in the Cinemas, a day later, I was like, man I have to watch it again, so I downloaded a pirated cam version

Only in between, I watched a few youtube 'ending explained' videos which then fucked with my head...cos how much of it was his imagination

But, I am serious when I say this neon, hopefully you saw what I saw. A guy that didnt have mental issues, just grew up with every one telling him he did because he was a bit weird, had a weird laugh. People that just for the most part wanted to put him down to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Along with just being stuck in a shitty job and a dirty neighbourhood, all external influences that will mess with anyones head

Half right about DeNiros character too, we are supposed to listen to the opinions of talk show hosts an TV anchors, some twat whether left or right leaning gets paid millions a year and never sets foot out of the penthouse apartment or TV studio

Anyway, havent been sucked in to every second of a movie like that since...The Departed or maybe Django Unchained

8. I am looking forward to seeing it

9. soulcompromise

I haven't seen the Departed, but Django? :D

EDIT: I probably have seen the Departed and I just don't remember. I know I've seen Django Unchained and I thought less of it than that. I sort of shy away from racially charged stuff that isn't explicitly anti-racist. If it's just like "racism... in the face of the audience" I'm kind of put out.

10. I think it's kind of hard to argue that he didn't have mental issues. He suffered trauma when he was a child. But I think he was less insane than the world around him, until he was pushed to the edge.

It's really hard to sympathize with anyone he killed in the movie. I guess Murray Franklin is the least abject guilty of having done him any harm, but he did get what he deserved, in my opinion. I feel the same way about talk show hosts in real life who put a glimmering facade on a decaying society. Not that I hope they all get shot, but I strongly dislike it when there's pretense that everything is all right when it's not. Especially when it comes to celebrity and people that don't have to directly deal with the real world. And then to invite a guy on your show and expect him to be a good little boy, as the Joker put it, while you degrade him and then leave him in the dust... Yeah, it's hard to sympathize with that.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

a clown killing people.. how original..

Eric! and Running Horse like this.
  12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I've noticed this too, and since you're saying it about this film I will probably watch it now to see.

13. Yeah, they're hearkening back to the old days of cinematography. I like the earthy aesthetic so much more. Most modern films are clean as a whistle. They lack something. I like seeing the old Warner Brothers logo. It's harsher and feels dangerous. I think Tarantino used the old Columbia Pictures intro for Once Upon A Time, too.

14. Asmodean

The racists in Django unchained are clearly mocked in their portrayals.
    But even if it was portrayed kind of 'neutral' it also serves as a reminder how horrible slavery and discrimination was in that time. You can hardly conclude it was glorified in that movie. Anyway, maybe something for another thread if we wanna expand on this!

15. Asmodean

Could be a documentary, right!?

16. soulcompromise

I didn't feel like it was a very good reminder in this case.

17. Asmodean

I think it was. The german dude that helped Django clearly was the good guy and racist people like 'Big Daddy' and Dicaprio the bad. Agree to disagree I guess.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm with asmo there. my recollection of the movie is that it was basically about following the protagonists as they went around killing a bunch of racist assholes.

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I am hoping to see this one soon. I've always liked psychological type movies and the Joker as a character.

20. Tarantino seems to like to have characters you hate, and then have something incredibly gruesome happen to them. I enjoy his movies a lot, but I do think it's a little gimmicky.