Joint Rolling - a dying art?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by SpAcEdDeadhead, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

hehe shoulda called i would have helped lol

2. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Art of rolling a join dying? hmm that sounds a bit weird..

I think the sacredness of Marijuana has been lost in today’s society.
    Its just another drugs that people begin to smoke and abuse.

I smoke when I’m creating, creating art, music, crafts, or beat boxing and free styling and for some spiritual reasons.... or just simply when walking in the woods or something at a time that means something to me.. yes I roll doobie's, and when I roll one in front of new people I meet it seems its such a "fad" that there like "oh my god!! wow thats a perfect joint i wish i could roll like that" and have this weird little excitement freak out! like my goodness its just a joint.. It seems its turned into something that people just want to get high quick fast and just get high... if you moderate your smoking to a mind and body spiritual sense take your time roll a spiff and make it a celebration not a "wake up and im gonna pack bong take bunch of bong laod and get just blized maaaaann"

It much better

3. stonerman420

stonerman420 Member

the only time i use a bowl is for roaches.when im smoking by myself all i smoke is joints. when im with friends that dont like joints (which i cant imagine why they dont) i whip out the bowl. but most of my friends love joints..im the only one of my friends that marginally knows how to roll tho, my Js are sorta loose still but im getting better...its fun impressing people with them going "wooow how do you roll that?" lol..my friends are stupid.

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

im differnet, if im smoking with myself in my home, its always a bong, caus i like to conserve my weed, and keep smoke to a minimum.

but if im out with other people, ill roll a joint so it can be shared or smoked in public.

5. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

My friend and I were discussing this a few days ago. Personally, I roll a lot more joints than I used to. I used to smoke joints very seldom, but now they're pretty much all I use. It's too bad that joint rolling is a skill that doesn't have any other real life applications.

6. AceAzamean

AceAzamean Member

I agree, I especially think that "The Art" (thats how we refer to it here) is on its last run. people like cleaness of glass and everyones impatient, if they cant roll it fast then they wont. But I had somewhat of a natural gift for it. I picked up, without ever even seeing one in person before ever, and rolled a reaaly nice 7:10. I have never rolled a pregnant joint as they're called, which gives me much pride.
    Now I still have my share of other smoking attractions, I have a nice dug-out for work/classes its a good solid 2 hitter and my slot holds a dime, a nice glass bowl named Mellow Yellow (it hits great) and thats for me and some friends to puff on if theres 4 or less of us, Last I have my 15inch bong. Its teal glass main glass with gold flake spiralling up, then a rim, grip which spirals and gets smaller as it grows long, and the large base pieces are of deep blue stained glass. The base also having 3 large clear smoothed pieces attached along the outside. This I call tsunami because its the best hitting bong I've come accross. (had and named before the storm in asia, kinda wierd they were days apart) Also the smoke spirals as it comes up both bubbles and the shaft which looks so cool. I use it for large groups, fully packed it will rip 10 full hits, and I mean it (went through one round with it, it hit 8 full times and 2 of the 6 people therelitterally threw-up because they took too large of a hit. Now thats some power :)))

I myself absolutley love rolling joints though, whenever I can. I have several techniques, heres 3 of them, I have several more too.

- I have a foldover pouch method, its the fastest and most common. Being easy to handle, one could use a table, bill, or hand and easily finish a 8:10 or better in under 20 seconds.
    =Take paper in hand so that glue is both on the top and facing your person. Now take the bottom of paper and fold up (like your going to fold it in half up and down) But only go up a half inch or so and crease the paper. Now, with the bottom still folded over, take the left bottom corner (corner only), pull it up to the top of your first fold over, crease it and lick to hold in place. Now pull the origional fold out just a little and you've made a pocket open on 1 side. stuff it and roll in hand, on table, or inside of a dollar bill. (Note, using a bill is the easiest and fastest for most people)

- I can roll a paper backwards (glue outside) giving it the least amount of paper and glue possible. makes for a super clean and smooth tasting smoke. I just learned this method and suggest it for dank herb only, it takes me about 3 minutes to roll these nicely, but its a 9:10.
    =(this is for Joint.....er.. Jedi Masters only ) Take paper in hand with glue strip along the top facing your person. Now fold the top of the paper backwards, Just the strip (take as little unglued paper as u can) When the glue strip is folded backwards, away from you, take the bottom and fold it up, folding the paper in half. Now place the floded paper inside a bill followed by the bud inside the fold over. roll bill up until the top fold over has come all the way to the end and lick just ontop along the crease, not whole strip.
    *If you do it right, your left with a joint that has a large wing. lick the base of the wing on both sides along the joint generously, the light the wing on fire, it will burn off not touching the rest of the joint.

- I can roll the perfect cone. holds between .8 and 3.5 grams easily without much modification. Though after 2 grams a small filter piece is needed. It hits you like a baseball bat, which is also what it looks like. between a 9:10 and a perfect score.

I use 2 papers, splitting one in half so thart each tall and narrow piece has a glue strip along the top. Holding both papers, one in each hand and both with strips facing you pointing up. Now lick the left strip, and glue it to the bottome left corner of the right hand paper forming an unusual looking "L" ( like this ___l only paper) Now flod the entire bottom up about a half inch or so and crease. Place the 2nd untouched paper in a bill or hand and then place the folded paper creation infront of that. placeyour green in the small envelope you made, and roll the bill up. (in hands just rub fingers up keeping the papers flushly together and rolling tight.) Now lick the strip on the outside (its from paper 2 its the only reason its needed is that strip and extra support) and its done.

I would fully document these with photos, video even,but I dont know how this board supports pictures so.... someone host my pics :) lol

7. Tuk_Tuk

Tuk_Tuk Member

I tend to disagree... In my area the art of rolling joints is being revived, more people are taking up the practice, instead of using pipes. Guess it is because of the big group smoking, when pipes are not as useful.... Still not many that can roll "good" joints but many have a beginners knowledge....

Peace and Love,
    Jon

8. recentlysmackedpinat

recentlysmackedpinat Member

pipes and bongs also take a part of the social experience out of group toking.
    Think about it.. you have a burning joint.. everyone's partly focussed on it, you talk while you pass it around, and you're all sharing it.
    No one has to shut up like you do when you hit the pipe or bong, there's no loud bubbling....no lighters..bright flashes to distract.. passing it around is smoother, more engaging almost like it's just kind of more intimate and rythmic (with the exception of the bogarts) while at the same time being more in the background The act of passing it is just a part of the whole toking experience.

9. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I think it's kind of dying out, probably more so where weed is more expensive. Joints waste a lot of weed by constantly burning, so it's only really useful in large groups where it's pretty much constantly being hit. Alone, you're just sitting there holding it while it burns like a torch.

Also, with mechanical rollers and impatient American attitudes, no one has time to practice rolling, or even to just sit down and roll one when you just want to smoke. It's a damn shame, in my opinion.

I myself haven't rolled a joint in months. I almost always smoke alone, and want to save my weed. Plus, this way I worry less about the smell getting me caught, because theirs less smoke being put out. I'm alright at rolling, probably around a 6 or 7, not a master but they're definitely smokable and look pretty decent.

10. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

a bong is economical but ain't nothing sweeter than hittin' a jizz-oint. so quick and convenient!

11. PokeSmot

PokeSmot Member

Yeah, i was smokin with this girl, and i broke up the weed and got the seeds and stems out, and she had that bitch rolled in like 30 seconds, tight as hell

12. volatileBunny

volatileBunny Member

I agree alot with what ElectricBuddha is saying about pot being a kind of thing you use to enhance things you like, not something to get you through your day (it's not like we're working the fields in medivel france here people.)

I'm a beginner for sure, but I respect the joint for a symbol of reliable smoking that has gone on for years and years. I believe there is something much more personal about a joint, because it did take longer to make, that makes it better. For someone's birthday, for instance, I rolled them a J with a bow on it and we smoked it together. He said it was the best present he got that year...

13. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

AMMMMMMMMMENNNNNNNNN BROTHER!
    the ABSOLUTE sexiest thing a female can do is gut a blunt. jesus christ.

as for this thread's topic, i'm definitely definitely definitely a joint man. i use a dollar bill, it works alot like the rollers, and you've always got one in your pocket right? well... not always =(. they're BEAUTIFULLY rolled, absolutely amazing... but without the assistance of the dollar, i have a bit of trouble. usually a tiny bit loose =\, but regardless, ENJOYABLE! =)

nowwadays everyone is into their glass, which is definitely beautiful... but i prefer to roll a nice joint, and sit out on the patio, not having to relight something every drag. that's why it's joint for life over here =)
    <3 yall

14. modestsmoker

modestsmoker Member

isnt glass blowing an art

how about blunts?

15. Mui

Mui Senior Member

not a dying art... kids over here are all scholars of joint rolling class 101.. we strive for a perfect, even joint.

16. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

Overall the American youth are lazy and in that aspect i can see why you dont see more joint rolling. When I was just a young dope smoker the guys i hung out with made me sit down and roll a joint each time we smoked. The first few times i coulnd't do it and that was cool, but after a while if i didnt roll a smokable joint i had to sit out the first joint. I dont know but it was cool for them to take the time and show me how to do things. And from then on out i have been able to roll a damn good joint.

17. CUtheRE

CUtheRE Member

joints is the jedi of pot smoking. our generation is pretty spoiled with all the cool gadgets these days. but the reason my friends usually dont smoke joints is because they want to smoke every bit of weed. roaches are a pain for them.

18. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Eeeewww...

through your roaches away to the earth you will be gifted in return

19. element7

element7 Random fool

I recently rolled the first joints I've rolled in a long time to take on a road trip. It was cool smoking on some joints because for the most part, I just really love my bong. I like the dynamics of smoking from a bong. Joints are a skill though that I'm sure will never really die out.

20. heartsnotfarts

heartsnotfarts Member

i havent smoked a single joint in my entire seven months of smoking. i just usually use one of my homemade bowls or bongs, but im going on a cruise next month so ill probably use joints.