join our traveling commune! please?

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by sandal-man, Mar 15, 2008.

1. sandal-man

sandal-man Member

yea i guess we can make it to buffalo or something, il let u know when we get a definite city. right now we're not even sure where we're meeting though...

2. tigerchild

tigerchild Member

well, count me in for the mailing list but dito about not knowing where i will b in 2 years.... hopefully somewhere nice :p i will email you 2 so chech ur junk folder!
    love always

3. sandal-man

sandal-man Member

really though everyone, i cant add you to my list unless you email me srgaston@gmail.com

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Have you thought about where you'll stay along the way and how you'll deal with people who don't want "trespassers" on their land? How will you deal with hostiles?

5. sandal-man

sandal-man Member

thanks man, but we're gonna live off the land and we're not gonna go on anybody's property. we're not really gonna be in civilization that much. itll pretty much be whoevers coming and nobody else. if we do go to a major city people can think or say what they want and it wont bother me at all. well probably look like crap after awhile but well go to sally's army and get some new clothes after awhile and i know how to make soap out of soapwort so we should look pretty decent. were gonna make shelter out of sticks and stuff like on survivorman unless someone brings a tent we could all sleep in but i think thatd be cheating.as for hostiles im not sure what u mean but anyone that has a problem with us doesnt have to be near us at all.

6. blinkin

blinkin Senior Member

love the concept man.....

but have you any clue how to survive out there?

its a good idea to travel in groups..Dig that!

off the land...k what land is that? national forests? k you can do that ...better know whats good too eat...man ...I mean I just dont know what to say, I mean I want to ecourage you kids to do what your dreaming.

why not go check out a gathering first....

maybe do a few mini trips to get the feel for the road...I mean your talking about sex partners and pregnancies......mamas are like any animals they dont like to move aroiund during that time, they find somewhere safe and keep warm...

so excuse my termanology here...but crap load of oogles fresh out of the coop headin to buffallo...I mean have you ANY idea what its like in some of these cities? you will be one of a 1000 dirty people trying to scrounge enough to eat...nothing special and no ones giving you a hand out...k thats not entirely true...but if you dont know what your doing you wont make squat...dude a bunch of oogles wont even be welcome at any decent squats......

do you know what a squat is????

bro, Im lovin ya hear with a hard tounge... go get some experience for a bit, do a few gathering live in the woods with some good family before going extreme......

see that sign in my signature pic....bullet holes in that.....what do you think you run into out there??? not everyone has open arms to drifters....violence sucks, Im not for it at all, and I agree you should not have a bunch opf agro kids with ya, but if you dont stand up for yourselves out there....all that food youve gathered will be taken and all that cash youve saved up..gone...

man be well and be safe, god speed and good luck........this just worries me...

damn I must be old.

I started at 14 solo.....im alive, it can be done, dont listen to the naysayers....just be safe!

7. blinkin

blinkin Senior Member

u dont know what a hostle is ???? dude......what can I say ......

....?????...

8. Geekgirl70

Geekgirl70 Member

I love what Blinkin said about the trip. He's on the beam. We're really not trying to discourage you kids of your dream, just saying that the whole 'living off the land' thing... well there aren't that many places to really do it in this vast country of ours, and even though you can kind of do that in National Parks and such, if you plan to TRAVEL, there are huge spaces of country in between them and you WILL be on private land most of the time, you can't avoid it.

I think you folks need to rent (or read) "Into the Wild"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild
    Not trying to scare you or anything, but that movie should inspire you in some ways and caution you in others.

The idea of doing some Gatherings or something first, is a great one. You really need to prepare as well as you can for what you will meet out there on the road. Just having money in the bank won't save you if you're out in the middle of nowhere, ya know?

And like Blinkin said (and I said earlier), you WILL run into people who want to hurt you and just saying 'that's not my scene man' won't help. Take tips from the folks who have been out there doing it FOR REAL their whole lives. Blinkin could be a good resource for you all, as well as many others.

Me? I've never done the whole thing of living on the road like that, but I know a lot about backpacking, long-hikes like the AT (Appalacian Trail) and a few of the other long trails in the country, and I know a bit about life in general.

Get out there and live your dream, but use common sense, learn from people, and take it slow until you know what you're doing (and even THEN be careful!!)

9. blinkin

blinkin Senior Member

10. sonik

sonik Member

Geek Girl and Blinkin are on the money. It's not impossible but it's a good deal trickier then one would think! Plus that surviorman stuff is all well and good, but you really have to know what you are doing, and even then it's pretty rough and uncomfortable. A few weeks (or days) of that and you'll be running for the nearest hotel.

11. decriminalize

decriminalize Member

I graduate college in May. I plan on hiking the Appalachain Trail starting next Mayish. Anyone interested? PM me!

12. sandal-man

sandal-man Member

dude, get your own post.

13. IwishIWasThere

IwishIWasThere Member

Where do I begin? :D Well, Living off the land is a lot easier if you have the land to live off of, I was considering talking to you about going too, but not sure where i'll be when the time comes. Blinken is very right in what he says. You've got a rough idea of what is going to happen, but you need the experience as well. The going to the gatherings is a perfect start to see how things will be out there, and you'll be with people who already have experience in this. Dont think for one second i'm saying you cant handle it. But having gone out into the wild for short periods of time is a hell of a start rather than just packing up and starting the journey not knowing where you'll end up. The police are a problem too if you try to sleep just anywhere. Get some maps together and plan on where you will stop, bathe, eat, etc. And dont be 100% sure everything will go according to plan either. If someone gets sick along the way...whats going to happen? Breaks a bone far from society? a Cell phone is great to have (pre paid) along the way. Also be aware that you wont have cingular "raising the bar" out in no-man's land. I'm jsut trying to prep you for the journey :) I must admit though, i dont have experience in the wilderness either other than camping, and most of the stuff we brought from our homes in a vehicle. So walking out there with nothing but a backpack and tent is pretty hard. Tell you what, Go camping with a couple friends and bring a tent, and your backpacks with clothes and things you'd carry on your adventure. Bring non perishable food with you that you only eat in emergency. So just in case you find out that finding berries that are safe to eat and things like that, isnt so easy, you'll have soemthing to munch on. Try to stay out there for a week or two, and that will give you a rough idea on how your trip will start. Keep in mind, it will be a lot harder along the way (months into the trip) and having someone a bit older with you is always a plus. Hope that helps, and anyone with comments please post them to help out. have a good time!

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Besides Into the Wild, you might check out Deliverance!

15. sandal-man

sandal-man Member

to all those that thought this was a good idea i thank you for your support but unfortunately i have not been able to contact my buddy for quite some time and i believe that he has no further interest in this endeavor of mine so this traveling commune that i and possibly some of you have been looking forward to is no longer in existence. pursue your dreams as you would have otherwise and make the best of your lives. i would still wish that those of you who may have wanted to partake in this find some similar alternative. i still plan on living this way but not in a large group as previously anticipated. best wishes to all and good luck on your journey!

16. +-Freedom-+

+-Freedom-+ Member

17. flwrchld93

flwrchld93 Member

Me and my friend are 17 and are in BC for summer of 2010 were going to be driving around and going into the US maybe we can meet up with you if were in the same place at the same time. :)

18. tbonewildflower

tbonewildflower Guest

19. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

sounds great if your ever in chicago let me know cuz i need to get outa here its too dang cold