John Lennon irritates the hell out of me.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by wave owls not flags, May 31, 2007.

1. wave owls not flags

wave owls not flags is not interested

"Love Is All You Need" is playing right now.... and for the past few weeks whenever this song has come on I skip it. Love is not all you need. Maybe its all you need when you're rich and don't have to do a damn thing to make a living.... but in the real-world, you need so much more. You need money, food, shelter.... etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, he had some really awesome songs when he was with The Beatles, and they are my favorite band ever, but I can't stand his solo garbage. So many people revere him as being some sort of god just because he stayed in bed to protest the war and did a lot of other bullshit that really made no difference whatsoever.

Though, I guess the time he spent in his bed did lay the blueprint for future protesting, as people like to whine and not really do anything now (whereas before John there were the weathermen and abbie hoffman and the black panthers and similar groups and people).

So.... maybe John did do something good for the world. :D Never thought of it like that. :D I guess I can like him now.

There's my rant for the day. :sunglasse

2. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, it's not really literal. The Beatles were asked to write a song that would be understood by all nationalities, since they were doing the Our World international broadcast thing. It's kind of funny that such a famous and beloved song was simply commissioned to be written... I don't know. But even Lennon said that "All You Need Is Love," as well as "Power to the People" and "Give Peace a Chance," is a propaganda song. They were meant to create slogans, even if unrealistic. So I guess he succeeded.

3. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

um.. he was friends with Abbie Hoffman and considered a Yippie...

i think what he did was important. he stood for something. people look up to him cause he became a living symbol of a beautiful dream.
    i thoroughly blame the ugliness of the 80s materialism on Mark David Chapman and J. Edgar Hoover. haha those two men killed too many dreams

4. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

puh to you good sir. puh.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

George could SO beat John up.

6. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

^^ that's just a given.

7. spooner

spooner is done.

I've always hated Lennon.

8. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

abbie hoffman was awesome, and yah i don't think i ever really cared about the beatles...i know some of my friends in high school were mad for them..i never really got into it like they did...i loved ringo though

9. wave owls not flags

Abbie Hoffman went to jail fighting for his beliefs. All Lennon did was complain and dream. :tongue:

10. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Okay, but his messages reached/had an effect on millions of people around the world.

11. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

yeh i'm not a big lennon fan either..

12. spooner

spooner is done.

So did Stephen King, but that doesn't make him a worthwhile writer.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Stephen King....eww.

14. wave owls not flags

ahaha....stephen king :D

I remember when Hunter Thompson died.... there was a thread in here about it, and someone posted how Hunter was crap and King was the best writer of our time. :D

15. spooner

spooner is done.

HST is good with prose, but bad with metaphor and all other things that make literature good. Ironically close to Stephen King, actually.

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Hunter is a journalist. He writes like a journalist.

17. spooner

spooner is done.

Not really. Hemingway writes like a journalist - keeps it simple. HST is much less simple...

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Jounalism is not necessarily about simplicity... it's about the way the facts are presented.

Hunter does have a very scattered way of presenting them facts, but... it's not what you might call your "metaphor-based literature", blah blah blah, etc, etc, etc, hockey sucks.

19. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

Everyone knows Ringo has always been where it's at. :rolleyes: Gaaaawd.

20. SunStoned72

SunStoned72 just kidding

blasphemy!

*slam