John Grisham

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Midget, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Normally I'm not a very fast reader, and won't read very much of a book at a time, in one sitting. But I just read a John Grisham book, The King of Torts...I'd read a couple John Grisham books before, and I was like wow he's good. BUt now I'm just totally hooked. He rocks! I wonder if I have another one of his books laying around my room...any sugestions on your favourites? Or any sugestions on other authors that I might like, given that I like Grisham?

2. hilksha

hilksha Member

I also like John Grisham books. I would suggest 'The Firm' which is a really cool book. I think it's one of his best. There's also 'The Partner', 'The Chamber', 'The Pelican Brief' and 'A Time To Kill'. They're all the John Grisham books that i've read. They're really good and I highly suggest them.

3. ihavenoideawhatsgoin

ihavenoideawhatsgoin Banned

I liked the client. I just started a time to kill and its already good.

4. adelic86

adelic86 ~Music!~

I read a book by John Grisham called 'The Summons" i think, and man that was soo boring and soo predictable. Apparently to some that is his worse ever. But neways that put me off.

5. zeljko-h

zeljko-h Member

yeah i can't read some authors after 5 or 6 books becouse i have feeling it's the same streched book - grisham, ludlum, wilbur smith... if author have something that click with me i can read everything and then wait for new one - ed mcbain, elmore leonard, joseph wambaugh.

6. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Maybe since I don't read them all right in a row, I forget some stuff from the other books, and it's not predictable. :) LOL

7. zeljko-h

zeljko-h Member

lol, reminds me of that alzeheimer joke

8. adelic86

adelic86 ~Music!~

"the summons" tho...try reading that, not saying he is a bad author but i found that book so dull and i basically guessed way before the end..perhaps that was just a one-off....then again thats my opinion :) maybe his other books are cool

9. shockseventyfour

shockseventyfour Member

"The last juror" was one I just read that was good, about a guy who buys a small newspaper in missisipi in the seventies. "Bleachers"is short but pretty good even if you don't like football too much

10. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I've just finished reading 'The Last Juror', too. It wasn't a bad read. I was expecting more trial scenes in it, however. Instead, his primary focus is on character development and the cultural differences of the small towns in Mississippi. In itself this is not a bad thing, even though it's been done a thousand times already, it's still good to see it written from a seasoned hand such as Grisham's. This would have still been a good book, even if there wasn't any serious crimes mentioned in it, but it would be like having a Stephen King book without horror. Perhaps, the bulk of his fans have come to associate him soleley with legal writing that they would be disappointed if he branched into other fields. Then again, he could adopt another pen name and publish other titles.

11. laurenq

laurenq Member

ive read the majority of these books and i find them fantastic

i remember i got in trouble for reading them in middle school though because of the "mature content"

but yea those books made me seriously contemplate going into law

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

John Grisham is the cheapest excuse for literature out there. I wouldn't even wipe my ass with the pages from his books. It's shit upon shit upon shit. The world would be a much better place if John Grisham never existed.

13. laurenq

laurenq Member

wow you feel so strongly

why??

14. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

I read a couple of his books. I started on the "Testament" which I thought was great and it got me started back into reading again. I also read "A Time To Kill, The Firm, and the Pelicon Brief". Out of the ones I've read I think "The Testament" was the best, I lost interest in him though. An ex-girlfriend put a bad taste in my mouth regarding that author. I'm also amazed at what Bravesirrubin said. I don't think I'd go that far.

15. treehuggerT

treehuggerT Member

I seriously doubt that! ROFLMAO

16. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

I read and enjoyed The Street Lawyer....prolly more for the subject and the plot than the writing tho. it was decent

17. memo

memo Member

John Grisham...eh if you like one trick ponies then he's your guy.

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Easy. His books are like a cheap hollywood movie... ridiculously plot-based, constantly packed with action, and little thought. There is not thought, creativity, imagination, and oh so many other things in his books. He represents everything that literature shouldn't be and the modern bastardization of the novel.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I've read all of Grisham's books, and have loved them all - except for the last one, "the Appeal", which I did Not like at all. One of my favorites was "A Painted House". Regarding his last book - it was not like his others and I am well aware that this country's court system is a joke and "justice" is available for the right price, so why he needed to write this one, I'll never understand. There is no justice in this one.

20. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I liked Grisham's earlier works, but then his books just starting resembling one another and I got bored.