Jogging

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lace_and_feet, May 13, 2004.

1. SimpleMan

SimpleMan Member

I love to run...being in the Marine Corps you kinda have to...but I love to stay in shape and part of my job in the Corps is to train Marines...I love my job..I get paid to stay in shape!

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

OK people! I haven't gotten off my ass and jogged for nearly two months now. I miss it dearly and I just don't feel the same. My body was totally loving me for it. I felt so healthy. I dropped 15 pounds and I had never been in such good shape. My PMS became nearly nonexistent. I felt accomplished. Why did I dare stop? Instead of punishing myself for my inaction, starting tomorrow morning at 6:00, I will resume my addictive yet healthy habit that I have not tapped into for far too long...

I'm excited.

3. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I am scared to run or jog. I don't want to spill my drink...

4. lace_and_feet

What kind of drink?

5. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

a martini, a Killer Mexican, a Captain and Coke, bourbon & ginger, etc.

6. lace_and_feet

Yes! Ran this morning for about 12 minutes....starting off pretty slow....physically could've gone longer but didn't wake up earlier enough and was pressed for time. So tomorrow I shall wake up earlier and go longer. Before I abruptly ended my routine a couple months ago, I was up to over 30 minutes straight of jogging. Luckily, my body readjusts quickly to this so I should be back up to 20 then 30 minutes quite soon. So, don't read this if you don't care. It mainly serves as an outlet for me to document my training. Something more motivating about writing this in public than in a private notebook...in a way, forces me to act on my goals.

7. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

I havn't been jogging in a while now either. I wanted to start up again but the weather is getting pretty icky. I'm thinking maybe I'll join a pilates and dance class or something... But that costs money! lol.. I just don't like jogging in the rain.

8. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

i really enjoy walking. me and my father walk for an hour and a half a night. well, we did before i moved into college dorms last month. my roommate gets up and jogs every morning at 7, and he kinda has be joining him every here and there...

now i have a question. my lungs aren't that great... how are yours? i'm a smoker of the green, a habitual smoker... i would love to start jogging a little with him, but... when i do, my lungs feel very heavy after about 5 minutes of jogging. now... 5 minutes of nonstop jogging is some pretty hectic stuff, but is this smoking really handicapping my running? i just went a few times with him... obviously smoking is funkin my lungs up a bit, but does this 5 minutes.. will i slowly develope a tolerance to the running? do you think the 5 minutes is normal, with any newby's lungs, or are the lungs obviously damaged? or is jogging just not right for me.

9. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

Well, with me, I could barely jog for 5 minutes when I first started and I don't consider myself a smoker. I smoke a doob occasionally.. but really.. once a month isn't going to affect my lungs that much. I think where you are right now is a normal newbie thing, but you may find that you have a harder time working up to it. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure thats how it works

10. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

I started jogging again!!! Yayy!!! My first day was at 5 mins and I was hurting, could barely do another 3 mins after a min break. Second time 8 mins! (plus another 5 after a min walk) and I felt great! Now I'm back at 10 min straight with a min walk and another 5 min. I'm doing that every other day (The weather got better, YAY!) and pilates on the other days. I want to do this straight for a month and see how I feel at the end of it.

Hope all your jogging adventures are going well!!!!

11. lace_and_feet

That's excellent PureInnocence! I'm happy for you. It's a great feeling to get back out there again.

12. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

It totally is!! And thanks! I almost didn't go today but I forced myself to and I'm so happy I did. I really love how I feel after I jog. How are things going with you Lace and feet?

I need more upbeat and peppy music for when I jog. Lots of my songs are all gushy slow and about love. lol, it's harder to feel pumped with some of my music! Do you listen to music when you jog? What do you listen to?

13. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

guess this thread lost it's pizazz!! I got this great running program now. My dad did it, and how he's able to run for an hour straight. I hope I get there!!

14. lace_and_feet

This thread losing it's pizzazz correlates with my lack of jogging the past several months. [​IMG]

BUT i just finished a 20 minute jog for the first time in months. Playing red hot chili peppers' blood sugar sex magik album kept up my pace. I was surprised I could even go for that long, but I guess walking around town has helped keep me in shape.

Uh...anyone else still jogging?

15. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

ive never found appeal in running. i guess ive never done it enough to start finding it enjoyable...

i exercise my heart by smoking weed ;)

but my lungs dont thank me for that. i get short of breath quick. however i seem to be able to plow through it more so while i get tired quicker, i can sustain working furhter past getting tired. i think thats a mind thing.

soccer season now. i hate running in training. it never gets better. its always.. a pain.. even just a lap of the oval.

i walk a lot and keep from being a fat slob tho and eat relatively healthily

16. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I've been trying to run more often, but it's so hard to stay motivated. I have to walk my dog who is too old to run, so not only do I have to motivate myself to do that, but then I have to go running. Then work, 5 days a week. I'm too tired after, and I just always have an excuse. Motivation is my main problem

I smoke weed too, but not as much as you probably. I do find nose-breathing to help A LOT. If you can't keep your mouth shut, run with a mouthful of water; that way, if you try to breathe through your mouth, you'll choke. It's a good incentive not to, haha.

I also have been running barefoot, which is comfortable (no knee or shin pain!) and makes my feet lighter.

I have a question. What should you eat before and after a run? What kinds of foods?

17. lace_and_feet

What worked best for me was a bowl of all natural cereal (like amaranth or kamut flakes, or hell even shredded wheat) with soymilk and some type of sliced fruit like banana or strawberry 1/2 hour before the jog. Keep it light; it's hell running with a full stomach. After a run I usually crave some form of protein (after drinking a few glasses of water, of course) and a peanut butter, banana and soymilk smoothie ROCKS for after the workout. Though today I craved some fruit so had pineapple. I'm no doctor so I just go with what feels right.

I can't tell you how great it feels to be jogging again. :)