Jogging

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lace_and_feet, May 13, 2004.

1. Shakra

Shakra Member

Lol you put it so much better than I did :)

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Stop contaminating my thread with your exploding melons, attention whores! But before you leave, can I touch them?

On another note, hey good for you, mick_jagger_is_so_hip! You'll feel SO good. If you don't already, try to sneak the habit of drinking enough water into your present 'health kick'.

3. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

thanks dude!!

Had my FIRST jogging session today! PHEW! was tough but I managed to actually jog for 12 of the 20 minutes so I only walked for a little while. :p
    Im going to do it every week day and have rests in the weekends.
    Its still yet to be fun, but Im going to keep it up. :)

4. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

yeah! i was pretty much addicted to running for a lot of years, but got out of the habit. i've just started again (jogging 20 minutes a day a few times per week). i'm sooooo happy to be pounding the pavement again. running is great for clearing your head and sweatin' out some toxins too! yay!

5. riptiderevolucion

riptiderevolucion Member

I go hot and cold with running. I'll go stretches where I'll run regularly and then I'll get sick of it and not go for a while. But inevitably the bug strikes again. What I like to do instead of plain jogging is more along the lines of wind sprints or interval training. It's more fun for me. I get bored maintaining the same pace.

6. lace_and_feet

Wow, well remind me to never have jalapeno cheese bread and coffee before my jog! I've been starting the day with a cup of green tea and a bowl of kamut or amaranth flake cereal with sliced strawberries and soymilk. I'll wait a half hour, then do my jog. It's the perfect fuel. I've got the complex carbs from the cereal, the energizing fruit and the protein from the soy. The green tea has a tiny bit of caffeine in it so it gives me a bit of a kick, not to mention keeps me regular. So today I woke up and saw a fresh loaf of jalapeno cheese bread (basically white bread with cheese and jalapeno on top) on the kitchen table. I suddenly had the urge for coffee so I made a pot and that was my breakfast. Bad mistake. The white bread wasn't enough energy. I could only drink half my coffee because I haven't had that much caffeine for a while. I forgot how phlegmy dairy tended to make me, so the half&half wasn't the best idea. I had trouble breathing during the last half of my run--my airways weren't as clear as usual. By the end of the run, I was dead. Shakey too, which isn't normal for me after running. I just felt weak. Well at least I've learned. Yet another reason to eat healthy. Though I slacked for a couple weeks last month, I am back on track and am now doing 30 minutes of jogging straight. :) I'm gradually working my way up to 40.

7. Jesus~

Jesus~ Member

Whats the best way to get your endurance up?

I have a treadmill, and i can run for about 5 minutes straight?

How often should i run?

Thanks.

8. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

9. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

I've just started jogging. I try and go for 20 min but just like you said I can't do it. So I'll run for 5 min, walk for 5, run, and walk it off to finish. I'm only going every other day right now.

And I'm WIPED after!! I feel shakey and my lungs hurt sooo much. Makes it hard for me to keep it up! I think I'm going to try eating different things... usually I wake up and relax and have an apple and some water then go for my jog... maybe it's just not enough energy. I think maybe I'm going to have a nutrigrain bar too... maybe that'll help!!

But your success story has totally made me want to keep tryin! I was really about to give up again cuz it's so damn hard at first. But I want my endurance to go up. I'd love to be able to jog for even 15 min straight and not feel like I just punched my lungs a few times. lol. And especially important, I would love to really enjoy it. Always when I run I get so cought up in the.. oooo mann... so tired... gotta... keep... going.... that I don't really get the whole enjoying it part!

10. lace_and_feet

Every other day would be good. Or even less since you're starting out. Just listen to your body. Rest days are incredibly helpful. My best running days are after taking a day or two off. If you're just starting off, running 5 minutes straight is actually decent. It took me a few weeks to get up to 15. The best way to get your endurance up is just to push yourself a couple seconds longer every time. And don't get discouraged by having to walk; your body will come around soon enough.

I've gone from 175 to 163 the past few months just by jogging a few times a week (on average) and eating sensibly. I know I'd get better results if I had a more consistent and strict diet/exercise program, but I'm happy with my improvements thus far.

11. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

HAH!! Loving you lace and feet!! I was seriously going to give up. But then after reading this I tried again. I ran for 7 minutes straight, walked for 3 and ran another 4, and then walked the 3 minutes back to my house (which is up a hill).

And I don't even feel HALF as terrible as I did last time even though I ran for less and walked a LOT more. Last time felt like I was dying. I layed on my bed for an hour trying to calm my heart down. This time.. I feel great! lol, I'm absolutely soaked in sweat though. It's HOT out there!

I was wondering how to calculate your heartbeat. I thought it was just count how many beats in 10 seconds and times by 6. But I only got 114. That seems WAY low. But then, I did wait till I got inside, so I'd already cooled off a little... I didn't think I'd cool of that quickly though.

12. lace_and_feet

I started out exactly as you did, alternating a couple minutes of jogging with a few minutes of walking. Good job on not giving up! I'm so glad I could be of service. :)

After jogging, I calculate my heart rate by watching a clock for 15 seconds and counting my pulse on my neck. I then multiply this number by 4. My heart rate consistently comes to around 160. It would be lower if I stayed at a steady pace the entire time, but I like to finish off by going hard and fast during my last 30 seconds or so.

Your heartrate isn't going to be very high if you're alternating walking with jogging. But that's just how it is. Don't expect to get it very high so early in your new regimen. Just keep at it though. One day very soon you'll wake up and be amazed at how far you've come.

I finished my jog about 1/2 hour ago after not doing it for nearly a week. I felt guilty. It truly becomes an addiction. Now I've had my fix and I feel so good. My face gets really red and I get super sweaty all over, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

13. GiselleMarley

GiselleMarley Member

I like to jog...I try to go for about 20 minutes every day...i think that it helps keep your healthy physically & mentally!

14. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i haven't gone jogging for a week now, and i feel super guilty. i wish i had the energy to go out. :(

15. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

Set up a time for yourself when you know you'll have time to jog. Get a good sleep the night before. Wake up, eat a really healthy breakfast. Let it sit for a little. Then just do it! Even if you're still a little tired. But hopefully because you did a few things after waking up, you'll already be fairly awake. And the breakfast will help your physical engergy.

Just do it!

16. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i went for a quick jog last nite around midnite. i normally go in the evenings after it cools down, though i'm sure it's better to go in the morning... i just find that impossible though - getting up early.

17. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I wanna run or jog really badly! But I've got arthritis in my joints. It doesn't stop me from taking glucosamine and stuff to overcome the pain in my joints and do stuff anyway though. I just can't run. I am serious when I say, I can't run for more than 30 seconds without ended up on the ground with a pounding head, gasping for air... and for some reason my skin ITCHES like crazy.. it gets all red and goes nuts with the itchies.

Any suggestions from you running freaks for a wannabee running freak? lol

18. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

Running isn't for everyone. You might agitate your joints more with the punding you'll give your knees. I suggest swimming. It's a much kinder on your body cardio workout alternative to jogging. (man, I packed that sentence full of adjectives).

19. PureInnocence

PureInnocence Member

*groans* Oh noo.. getting the "oh I could just do it tomorrow" feelings... gotta keep it up! So easy to just not!!!

20. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I love swimming too but don't always have access to a swimming pool big enough for laps.