Jogging

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lace_and_feet, May 13, 2004.

1. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Ahhh, just finished a nice little jog. For around the past month or so, I've been jogging for around 20 minutes a day. When I first started, I was pretty out of shape so I had to alternate between a couple minutes of jogging and a couple minutes of walking, for 15 minutes. My endurance built up quickly though, and now jogging is quite enjoyable and refreshing. My mood has improved, my sex drive has increased, I've lost a couple pounds and I feel healthier overall. It's amazing how just 20 minutes out of my day could make a difference (damn this sounds like an infomercial). I highly recommend it. Anyone else jog or run?

2. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I love running! Usually, I go running three or four times a week. When I was in college, I ran track, so I ran almost every day. Running is the easiest form of exercise for me (and for the most part since I've been in Japan, it's been the only form of exercise).

3. Casperthesheet

Casperthesheet Member

I try to jog everynight but since I've got depressed I haven't had the energy to. I think I will try to tonight. I miss it. It helps out a lot. A really good way to clear your mind.

Casper

4. Shakra

Shakra Member

I prefer walking, jogging is ok too, but running, I can't seem to keep my boobs under control which is a shame because they are a real pain for that. I am quite petite, around 5'3", have a very narrow back and narrow shoulders and bloody boobs that are too big for me imo. So I usually stick on my personal cd player and just walk for between 45 mins and 1 hour per day but it only feels like around 20-30 mins at the end of it, as I usually get lost in the music and time just flys. At the weekends I usually try to go someplace in the country and walk for 4-5 hours, with a friend, see some sites etc.

I would love to be able to run again like I used to at school, I can sprint but distance running kills me, prolly because I am just not practised enough in it, but as I already said my stupid boobs just irritate me, and no matter what kind of 'control' bra I use, they still bounce too much [​IMG] and then I feel like every one is staring at me. Silly I know.

5. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

In high school I used to love running ran every night did aerobics was very flexible now 4 years later I cant run run for more than 3 mins. never want to do any active just walking but there is no safe place to walk around here. it kind freaks you out when your out trying to clear your mind and see "serial rapist wanted" signs all over the place. Going to the beach is a hassle to much traffic and way to much for parking. So I have been biking a bit. but I am just in pain from not be as active as I would like my back is killing me!.. at times I cant even move.. Wish I had a nice safe place to run. =(

6. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Then run on a treadmill while watching TV (for boredom). That's what i do.
    You know there are different "levels of intensity" in physical activity. In a week i will do some sprint runs, some 20mn runs and/or longer runs at slower pace.

7. metro

metro self-banned

I'm a runner too. I would totally get depressed if I didn't run. I'm the typical long distance runner/loner[​IMG]. I was on the cross country team in college, a lot of fun!
    I'll probably do a marathon this summer or fall, it will be my first. The longest race I've done is a half marathon.

8. Fred_the_Baptist

Fred_the_Baptist Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

deleted post.

9. Tiny dancer

Tiny dancer Member

I loooovvve running. when i get home from a nice little run, i feel so refreshed and happy. I think i'm kinda addicted to running, actually. The feeling i get from running is like the efffect of a drug. I actually heard somewhere that if you run for a long enough time, your body produces a heroine-like drug....or something.Eh,I don't really know what i'm talking about. Anyway, I definitely enjoy running, i dont get quite that exhilarating feeling from doing anything else. I am happy that you have been enjoying running as well.

10. tom

tom Member

Ah not quite heroin. Your body produces endorphins when ya excercise long enough, which give ya a good feeling.

11. lace_and_feet

Got weighed yesterday. I've lost around 10 pounds the past couple months through jogging. It's nice. I'm still progressing too, by increasing the amount of time I'm able to run for. This week I increased the time by 5 minutes and added a few minutes of walking to warm up before starting. So now I'm running for 25 minutes straight. Measured my heart-rate yesterday too, was 168 BPM at the end of my...'session'. Seemed to be a bit high, but I think it was that way because I finished it up by sprinting the last 15 seconds. It's just feeling amazing getting in shape and being able to run and climb up sandy hills and actually have fun with it, without killing my lungs or legs.

12. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

I love to go jogging! my only problem is I can't keep a steady pace!!
    "Oh i'm feeling alright I can go a bit faster" "Oh i'm getting tired better slow down"

I just seem to keep changing my speed and the whole experience would be rather more enjoyable if I could just somehow keep a nice and steady pace! :)

13. lace_and_feet

I'm sure you can achieve this through practice. But then again, your unsteady pace is similiar to high intensity interval training (HIIT), which can be more effective for fat-burning than a steady moderate pace. But I don't know if you're wanting to burn fat or not.

I know it's been said that it is best to exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but man, there's no way I could last without some food beforehand to keep me going. I waited too long between eating breakfast and jogging today, so my stomach was aching with hunger the entire workout. It's distracting. Felt pretty weak afterwards too, but all was mended with a strawberry banana smoothie.

14. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

Practice makes perfect :p
    Yeah i'm not trying to loose weight. I just do it to try to keep in shape.
    I think it's important to eat a little bit before you exercise.
    I don't like the empty stomach feeling.

15. warthog

warthog Member

joggin is hard on you knees & joints (when you get older like me) so for a low impact way to get you heart rate up try swiming All those marathon runners all have bad backs,& knees....but you young kids keep on joggin ..the main thin is get your heart rate up for bout 20 minuites..

16. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

I only jog for about 20 - 30 minutes depending on how the weather is and how i'm doing that day.

17. lace_and_feet

Oh I so would swim if I had a pool. Swimming is amazing. I love it. Jogging will suffice for now, though. Once I reach my peak shape, I might cut back and look into other forms of exercise to maintain without harming my knees and ankles. But jogging is giving me too great of results to move on just yet. And even if I do move on, I doubt I could fully give up a good run. And you're right, I'm still young.

18. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

My boobs are way too big for jogging. The worlds best bra cant hold back these melons. I would've liked to though, but I always think back of mandatory laps back in junior high. Man, that was like, hyperventilation city.

I like swimmin anyways. Easy on my knees. They make crunchy noises all the time.

19. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I'm buying running shoes and some shorts on Thursday and I'm going to start jogging. I'm on a real health kick atm and want to get into some good habits while I'm on a roll. :)

20. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

I'm not a very strong swimmer so i'd probably drown :p