Joey Vento Is Right, This Is America, Speak English

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rainbowtoke, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it's a really terrible triumph if it can be called that, for the championship of free speech.

2. Rainbowtoke

Rainbowtoke Member

Thats where im at with it. Our rights are being dimished every day and if we dont stand up for them, even if we dont agree with what is said then the Government will trample over the few rights we have left...

3. SpreadneckGA

SpreadneckGA Member

While i dont disagree that it is very helpful to try and learn different languages and cultures, if you moved to a forign country, wouldnt you try to learn their language and customs? Shouldn't these people be expected to do the same?

It's a 2-way street my friend.

4. Aristartle

Dear sweet jesus. Why is that most Americans are incapable of understanding the harmony and peacefulness in accepting that the country can be a cultural mosaic?

There is no give, unless they have every foreknowledge of the take.

It boggles my mind how ignorant a concept like multi-lingualism seems like a threat to free speech in a nation built on an empire of immigration.

*bangs head against desk*

5. SpreadneckGA

SpreadneckGA Member

And those immigrants, for the most part, have seemed to adapt to a common form of communication.

6. Aristartle

Assimilation is a wet blanket.

7. bamboo

bamboo Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Pressed rat AND Soaring Eagle are BOTH right even though it is hard to see. Rat is absolutely correct that it is an issue of Freedom of Speech to put up the signs. Eagle is right that it is wrong to put up the signs, but what are they right about?

One is a LEGAL deffinition that concerns the RIGHTS as guaranteed by the constitution to do...even if it is offensive. These rights MUST be protected.
    One is a Cultural thing and a Human thing and it is Morally wrong or culturally wrong to put up the signs.
    The two arguments are NOT the same, however. Legal and Moral are not always the same if they were the same we would not have government and religion as two seperate entities or two seperate concepts. Ethical and moral are not always the same in the world and that is sad.

8. Aristartle

Ugh. Fine.

I reserve my right to put up KKK support signs when I open a cheesesteak shop in the heart of a tourist area in Philly and I will expect the law to uphold that it's my freedom of speech that is being oppressed if I'm asked to take it down. May the KKK sign live! May my rights forever take precedence over any ethical or rational idea! May my rights to be offensive and protect hate-filled messages rule over any other culture of tolerance! May this be of the purpose of freedom of speech! I shall be a hero for protecting a piece of paper written by a group of aristocrats in the late 1700s!!! This is my right in the modern multi-national world!! YAYYYYY.

The world goes around and around, people and here we go around again.

9. Rainbowtoke

Rainbowtoke Member

If you dont like what you see then you dont have to look at it. There are on and off buttons. You have the ability to walk away if you choose. But dont trample what few rights we have left. The english language has been the culture of this country for 200 years plus. You dont have to use it but, this is the predominant language and everyone that is to become a legal citizen here is required to learn it. Most of the problems lately is the illegal immigrant not learning the language here because they are only interested in money. I refuse to cater to the illegals. Hopefully this will be solved soon...

10. Aristartle

*rolls eyes*

Damn those illegals who accept work cheques from English-speaking proud and honest American citizens. Filthy immigrants who have difficulties learning English! How dare they trample on the rights' of Americans! Harrumph!

11. bamboo

bamboo Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You younger folks need to think about the hispanic invasion a bit differently. Do you ever wonder WHY the government allows this to continue? Before Rat and some of the conspiracy junkies jump all over the NAFTA and North American Union schtick, think about this. When my generation retires and starts to use social security et el in VERY LARGE NUMBERS, there then becomes an insufficient number of you younger people to PAY for it...peoiod. Our retiring will tax you to death. This is not theory or conjecture, this is fact...simple demographics...there are not enough young tax payers to pay for the baby boom generation to use all of the government entitlements that law requires. There are then three solutions. 1) Deny the baby boomers these services, 2) dilute the value of the dollar by opening up the printing presses and just print the money (hyper inflation), or, 3) get more people in the country to inflate the low demographic to pay more taxes in the long run.

In reality it looks like it will be a combination of 2 and 3.

12. Aristartle

And... so what is the solution that most Western countries are adopting?

Immigration policies to bring in more working and skilled labour to coherently pay taxes and support the legs of the crunch.

Not enough kids to support the baby boom? Then most countries are repatriating refugees and illegals to give them rights to pay taxes and become citizens themselves. It's a waste to continue thinking that they're just going to go away and deserve to be unrepresented and unprotected by the very Americans that employ the millions of illegal immigrants and call it a free country. It's a reformed and modernized slave labour trade in the USA, and it's designed to keep cheap labour there as the cog in the wheel turning the big greenback machine. How does it feel to have an economy being supported and historically based on the work and labour of millions of illegal or uncounted peoples without any rights of their own?

Why would you blame the people themselves, when you should be blaming the people and institutions responsible for exploiting PEOPLE and the fruits of their labour?

13. SpreadneckGA

SpreadneckGA Member

Thats a good way to address the issue....those are your words, not mine.

The fact is, the problem is focused at a very small illegal population. They came illegally and want the US to catre to their needs. They are criminals the time they enter the US. They pay no taxes which support the schools they are wanting to teach their language.

14. Aristartle

Very small? Is 12 million a small number to you?

That's nearly half the population of my country, but to you it might be small.

15. Aristartle

The thing is, this guy who 'fought for his rights to free speech' should have fought for his rights to be properly informed, instead he chose to bully the community and push them around.

This whole fiasco started when there were rumours and people writing into the editorials to the newspapers in Philadelphia, claiming that 'Hispanics' were trying to order food in restaurants in Spanish, when they weren't doing such thing. Nobody orders food in Spanish, and it's not even a real problem.

The guy who owns this Cheesesteak place is a first generation immigrant, meaning that his own parents came to American without being able to speak a word of English, and I feel very embarrassed and sorry for them that their son did this. It's an insult to their own heritage and personal experiences with having to adapt to the culture that surrounds them. Not just that, the man owns one of the most popular and visited restaurants in South Philly - which is visited by thousands of tourists each year. It's pretty stupid to expect people from out of the state or out of the country to order food in English 100% without any half broken languages and English mixed in.

This dude has a shrine in his Cheesesteak place for a dead pig, Daniel Faulkner, and he believes that Mumia Abu-Jamal should be held responsible for his death.

The man is no stranger to controversy and expressing his slanted and racist views - which makes him even more of a jerk. The fact that he used 'Free Speech' like the monkey wrench that it is here to justify his own personal misinformed and misguided convictions is pretty ludicrous.

I don't feel that this is a helping to gain any ground on the Free Speech issue at hand currently taking place with the government's involvement.

Can anyone please explain to me how this is a notch on the Free Speech handle?

16. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Well, that's actually a very conservative number given by the media. Actually, conservative is an understatement. It should really be called what it is, which is a lie. The real number is closer to 20 million, and it's likely much higher than even that. But don't expect the government to be forthcoming about it. The fact is, nobody really knows how many are here, only that it is much higher than 12 million.

17. Aristartle

Yes, I know it's close to 20 million - but I felt generous tonight. The population of Canada is roughly 30 million, so that's roughly 2/3 or my country's population that he's talking about. That kind of number isn't a small one.

And I say to SpreadneckGA, if 20 million people living in your country are considered criminals by simply being in your country, then why shouldn't you throw them all in jail, hm? What's stopping your country from doing that?

Cheap labour. It's systemic oppression.

The people in charge of running the USA are only interested in making money off cheap labour. The idea that immigrants are citizens or not is of no consequence to the people they work for.

18. That Hippy Kid

That Hippy Kid Member

More like, this is Amerika speak what you want.

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Cheap labor is part of it, albeit a small part. Regardless, they are using illegal immigration to foward their own agenda, so it's not something I blame the immigrants for.

20. Aristartle

Since you accused me of not reading the article, I'd like to know how you feel about this man's views on Mumia Abu-Jamal?

Do you think his views on non-English speakers and the Black Panthers is wrong or right?