Joey Vento Is Right, This Is America, Speak English

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rainbowtoke, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

Actually Spanish was spoken here long before English (again, Im talking about my state, which is california) and Spanish was spoken in this country before English (St. Augustine, FL was the first European settlement in what is modern day US) If you still think I am somehow mistaken, please do inform me otherwise..

2. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

I didn't say spanish wasn't spoken here before english i said not LONG before english. I'm even talking about TX the last place the Spanish/Mexican government had a hold in America before it was taken by Americans. At the longest Spanish was spoken here 250 years before English, that's not that long historically speaking.

3. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

we are arguing in English

4. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Exactly!

5. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

Well if its not that long historically speaking, then obviously neither is the history of english.

y no me importa en cual idioma discutimos. Pudieramos charlar en espanol si prefiere.

6. stev90

stev90 Banned

Well, if you muthafuckahs n' cocksuckahs r bitchin' about dem illegal immigrants, cuz dey don't speak fuckin' english, y u not bitchin 'bout fuckin' Christopher fuckin' Columbus, cuz he ain't fuckin born here an he ain't fuckin english too n dem cocksuckahs stole dis muthafuckin' land ... muthafuckahs.:afro:

7. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

^me either but i would rather chat in german. trying to brush up before I head out this summer. ich glaube, sollte der praxis, predigen?

8. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Es ist kühl mit mir.

So, is Free Speech a good excuse for bad manners now and senseless insults?

9. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

I agree with pressed rat. It's a freedom of speech issue regardless of how idiotic the message is.

That said... English isn't even the "official" language of the United States so it's funny to me when people get all bent out of shape. I've lived in VERY diverse areas and it really wasn't so hard to say "I speak English" when someone tried to speak to me in Spanish, Russian, Yiddish, etc... but yeah. Not really the point of the case.

10. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Heh. So, if English is not the official language of the United States why does this owner feel entitled to request that his customers speak English?

Should Chinese restaurant owners request that their customers speak Mandarin? Should we order at Taco Bell only in Spanish?

11. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

Should they? I don't know, probably would lose a lot of business.... although starbucks has people order in their stupid ass language and it seems to work for them. The issue is COULD THEY request it... and yes... they can... under first amendment rights.

12. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Oooh ok i think I see your point now. Yes his sign is part tasteless but his right to have it up gives me the same right to tell him to put it down.

13. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

Fine YAY for free speech now lets all boycott assholes like this

14. Paul1968

Paul1968 Banned

15. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

I skimmed through most of this thread, so if anyone has said this, tell me and i'll delete it.

But...
    The sign had the phrase speak english, in quotes. this means that it's either ironic, or that it's quoting another sign. since no quotation is given (that i could see, there might be fine print, i somehow doubt it), it's meaning is vauge.
    also, the word America is a little vauge. most people in north and south america consider themselves americans, not just the united states.

does anyone know if the sign was made in china?

16. SpreadneckGA

SpreadneckGA Member

People are wanting to come in but not assimilate into American Culture. They seem to be wanting people to charge to fit their needs instead of the other way. While i have no problem leaning some Spanish to help, i do have a problem with people refusing to learn the language in which a vast majority of the country speaks. I think that would put them at a major disadvantage.

17. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

"Assimilation" means rejecting your own culture and being taken in completely by another. That puts people at a disadvantage in our increasingly global society. For instance, people who are bilingual have an easier time finding a job than people who just speak English. There are individuals who isolate themselves from American culture and that's obviously not ideal either - for the same reason. But I'd say the majority of immigrants who plan on staying in this country DO acculturate and learn the language. They just retain their language and culture as well.

Back in our grandparents' day, assimilation was believed to be the ideal... but that thinking is now outdated. It is NOT in the best interest of individuals to assimilate.

18. stev90

stev90 Banned

Y u lil punks want me 2 learn fuckee english,
    Y u lil punks not learn fuckee chineee.

Or russian, or german, or french or spanish. LoL.

U lil punks who want enlish only r all fuckin racists.

We already live in a global interconnected society.
    if u haven't noticed.

i fuckin suggest u get ur big fat asses up, get out there and travel and learn other cultures, instead of spending all ur time in your stupid trailers.

Oh, yeah, u can't afford to travel and learn, and blame your laziness and stupidity on immigrants and foreigners. Nice try.

And stop having sex with ur cousins. LOL. :jester:

19. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

Did the sign say "english only" or whatever, in various languages?? Otherwise, wouldn't it be kind of pointless?

20. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

lol

at least free speech makes it easier to spot the ignorant