Joey Vento Is Right, This Is America, Speak English

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rainbowtoke, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

You clearly didn't even READ the article, which is perhaps the funniest thing of all. The guy (who owns Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia) admitted himself that he has never denied anyone service because they couldn't speak English. So how can I even debate you when you cannot even gets your facts straight? See, you are resorting to EMOTIONALISM, and you simply cannot debate with someone who is emotional.

The government LOVES to prey on people's politically correct indoctrination because it creates a public that is reactionary and doesn't think. They just automatically resort (as if by reflex) to the usual hairbrained cliches about tolerance, when it's these people who are the most intolerant of them all. They are tolerant only when it comes to what they want to hear.

There are many people I don't agree with, but I certainly respect their right to say what they want.

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

please please enlighten me then, slander and libel is when it hurts just you but its free speach when it hurts a nation?
    why is 1 speach protected and not anouther?
    because 1 attacks u?
    thge other doiesnt why..because..u speak english fool

if u only spoke german wouldnt u be upset?

the original sign weas all ignorance as well i have no knowledge of you eatting children but i said it., so what
    what he said was equaly false, this is not americcam this is the occupied teritory of turtle island
    we dont speak english here the conquerers who overthrough and ovccupied turtle island speak english, not the people who came here, imigrants from every nation and certainly not the only true americans the tribes of turtle island

insisting we speak the language of the oppressors is limmiting what..free speach!!!!! speach comes in every language
    every word
    if allspeach is free then put up the pressed rat loves the kiddies billboards and embrace full free speach..
    otherwise u damn well better be deffending everyones right to speak theyrew own language..
    hius sign is wrong..pure and simple

3. soaringeagle

so its ok if i go ahead and put up pressed rat is gay and turtures children billboards coast to coast?
    its my right to say it right?

back to the sign..hes never refused service because no self respecting person who didnt speak english would eat there..refusing service woulkd be illegal as well..so why shouldnt a sign be that expects u to do what hed be arressted for making u do?

if the sign read everyone should include naked pictures with payment would u get upset about the harrassment any less simply because it said should not must?)

4. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

I agree with Pressed_Rat on this one. It's the guys right to be able to put up any sign he wants, why shouldn't he?! From the article it doesn't look like the sign is racist at all. Yes his sign maybe a bit ignorant but that doesn't make it against the law. I'm not arguing whether his sign has racial intent behind it or not, just that he has the right to put it there. Freedom of speech doesn't protect the speech you like but the speech you hate. If they stop him from doing that where will the government stop?!

5. Pressed_Rat

Again, there is a difference between slander/libel and a person exercising their right to free speech. Free speech does not entail making up malicious lies about another individual, which has the potential to ruin their reputation, causing damage to their social or economic standing.

And please get your facts straight. It is not "illegal" to refuse somebody service. When you own a restaurant and pay taxes, you have the right to not serve anyone you don't want to serve. But this is going off tangent, so I am not going to discuss it anymore. Either stay on topic, or don't waste my (or your) time.

6. Pressed_Rat

YES!!

And that is EXACTLY the point I am trying to make. Seems like some people just don't get it (or they don't want to get it), though.

7. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I read the article, and I was making a hypothetical assumption that I would probably be embaressed if I couldn't order food in English if I couldn't speak it and was required to do so in order to be treated with the same respect as any other customer.

Do not accuse me of being emotional. You're the one who holds the Constitution upon high above all else as if it's the gospel truth here.

What does that say about this guy, eh? He can say whatever the fuck he wants to a certain group of people with a particular background yet he'll always take their money?

Jerk with a sign.

8. Aristartle

*slaps high five*

Yeah man! Differences of opinion = they just don't get it! Go Go Us!

9. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Don't be like that. Do you understand where we are coming from tho?

10. Aristartle

I would have had to in order to make an informed decision.

11. soaringeagle

like an entire nations social and economic standing?
    speak english or shop elswhere, alienate every1 not like you the malicios lie the sign makes up is that america is a nation of english speakers.. and that only english should be spoken here
    the digfference between free speach and slandar is if your affected by it
    you say he can say what he wants wivcch legaly yes he can...but..should he? he is the 1 riding along on the emotionality you mention and sensationalism just to get his steakhouse even more famouse
    your ju8mping on board cause u are not affected by it..u speak english...screw every1 else

but..if your affecred by it (slander or not what if it was just a deep dsecret some1 discovered about you and put on bilboards) youd fight tooth aind nail to get em down or go on deffending his right to plaster things about u u dont want known all over

nobody said hes not legaly right to say whatever

we said the sign is wromng and should come down...human decency
    respect for all
    the thread title should say ventro proves being an asshole is legal... it should not imply that he was at all right in being an asshole

umm yes it is illegal to descriminate and refuse service
    what century did u come from?
    just try putting up a sign these days saying 1 group or another wont be served or alowed

12. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

It's illegal to refuse service by descrimination but not by anything else. The bottom line tho is the guy isn't breaking any laws and he is practicing his freedoms. Hell the guy isn't saying you can't speak whatever in his restuarant just that you speak english while you order. What is wrong with that? He just wants to make sure he can communicate with his costumers (if you ignore the the negative racial/ethic intent). They will even help you order, there shouldn't be a problem then again if that's the case it's a waste of time to have the sign up. Which I guess he is just using for publicity.

My $.02

13. Rainbowtoke

Rainbowtoke Member

That is the point. He never refused to serve anyone. His request to order in english is fine. Why should I have to learn several different languages just to get a job in this country. The language spoken here is english. Has been for a couple hundred years or more. I agree with soaringeagle to a point. The native languages would be great to learn and use. Vento's family struggled to learn the english language and did. If I were to move to France or Germany I would learn the language first before moving to those countries or at least enough to get along till I could learn more. I think its wrong to go to other countries and expect the people to speak your language and its also rude.

14. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

with all due respect, when someone lives in a 3rd world country and needs to find economic oppertunities to support their families, I could give a fuck about what you think is "rude." The fact is, it is very difficult to learn a foreign language, especially later in life...

What I think is wrong and rude is for this guy to assert that he is an American hero...what a douchebag.

Yea yea a champion for free speech!! The day someone is a champion for free speech and actually says something I can get behind, thats when Ill support them. But if I see a sign like that at any restaurant believe me, Im boycotting.

15. stev90

stev90 Banned

Well, if you cocksuckers really are for America, then you should all speak and learn all the various the Native American languages, dialects, because the Native American Indians were the first ones to arrive in this continent.

Even the Native American Indians originally came from somewhere, via the land bridges from Asia.

16. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

not to mention, at least where I am, and where anti-immigrant movements are growing (southern california) SPANISH was spoken here long before English. We "bought" this land at gun point, and historically speaking this was relatively recent. And yes, of course the Native languages before that.

And for those who say "I would learn another countries language BEFORE I moved there" obviously you don't know much about learning languages. The best way to learn is to immerse yourself in the culture where the language is spoken. And if you REALLY want people to learn english so bad, the best way for you to help them would be by starting to accept them and interacting with them on a daily basis.

17. Rainbowtoke

Rainbowtoke Member

You are part of what is wrong in America. The so called "anti-immigration movement" is not about not wanting immigrants but wanting to know who these people are and being LEGAL immigrants. It is said that only 10% of the illegals are criminals but that is still 10% more than we should have...

18. stev90

stev90 Banned

Oh yeah, well what about the American born and raised criminals.

There's at least 10% of them and probably more.

And a lot of them obviously speak very good English. :jester:

19. MotherLoveBone

MotherLoveBone Member

whatever rainbow man...you are correct in assuming that I do sympathize with immigrants. But I never even said how I feel one way or the other about the issue, and you went ahead and read into what I wrote and felt the need to tell me I am whats wrong with America. Get real man. I was merely telling you the history of language in this country. That was the point. Nothing more.

20. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

MotherLove we bought most of this land from the French and the French got it from the Spanish who stole it from the Natives. Also SPANISH wasn't spoken here long before English historically speaking.

You also mention that learning a language is easier when you immerse yourself in it's culture. Well wouldn't ordering food in said language help you learn that language?! I can't say that I would learn a countries language before I went there because as an American I am lucky enough that in most places people speak English. That's not to say I wouldn't try to learn simple phrase/terms so I could get by. I understand your argument that most immigrants from 3rd world countries just don't have the time/resources to learn a foreign language but shouldn't immigrants be my open to learn English when they come to America?

I do agree with you, even tho I think he isn't doing anything illegal he is still a douchebag.