Job Market in Florida - When will it get better?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by doublejm1, Aug 28, 2012.

1. doublejm1

doublejm1 Guest

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Over the past few months, I've had friends and relatives -- all of which are looking for work -- come to me with questions pertaining to resumes, interviewing, and the like.

I had to reiterate the same suggestions over and over again to different people. It got to the point where I felt inspired to write an article on the topic -- one that I could simply send to everyone en masse:

Tips on How to Find a Job That Suits Your Skills and Interests

The article did help them a great deal, but here's what I don't understand: Why is it that so many people are clueless out there when it comes to polishing resumes, shining in interviews, etc.? Granted, I've had ample interview/job hunting experience, but it seems people just don't take the time to research the topic. People have to get with the program and realize that, in this economy, a good job will not simply fall on one's lap.

Have you guys encountered the same?

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Bogus title man.

3. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

Other than the bogus title thing that zombiewolf said. The article you wrote is decent good tips.

4. doublejm1

doublejm1 Guest

thanks, absentwithin.

It's hard to believe that so many people are clueless when it comes delivering a powerful resume, making a favorable impression during the interview, etc.

Still, I concede that employers are pickier than ever these days. With so many looking for work, they know they can pick and choose applicants.

5. doublejm1

doublejm1 Guest

The latest jobs report revealed that even though the economy added 155,000 jobs in December, it wasn't enough to lower the unemployment rate. It remains at 7.8%.

6. doublejm1

doublejm1 Guest

Seems the job market continues to struggle. Many of my closest friends can't find jobs.

7. IGotMyAssBeatByAGirl

IGotMyAssBeatByAGirl Member

I think its bullshit to have to fire off resumes for low wage jobs that require little to no skills. Also sending them through email to some anonymous strangers (i.e. responding to a craigslist ad) is sketchy.