jim morrison

Discussion in 'People' started by themysterytramp, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

I've only read Danny Sugarman's 'Wonderland Avenue' & surprisingly not 'No one gets out here alive'.
    Certainly Sugarman paints a dark & sinister portrait of Morrison in his account of their shenanigans together.
    I pose this question to you: was Jimi Hendrix any more a saint? or Elvis Presley a better role model to us than Morrison as a Rock Legend?.Hendrix is rumoured to have bedded 2 or 3 girls at night when he arrived in London in 1966.Even 'The Beatles' kept girls back in their dressing rooms on their U.S. tours.
    They all dabbled in drugs & drink as well.
    My point is Morrison doesn't have to be of great moral character or remembered as a swell guy to hang out with.He died very young & left us with a legacy of brilliant psych-blues/rock'n'roll with his ecstatic & doom-laden lyrics & a cultivated image that seems to quicken the hearbeat of many adroring ladies to this day.

2. charmcityhippie

charmcityhippie Member

The movie The Doors was not a very good portrayal of who Jim Morrison actually was. He was a man who loved life and took it to every extreme he possibly could. He was a poet first, an artist, a musician. He had a way with words that has been unseen since.
    If you want to read a good biography, read Ray Manzarek's book Light My Fire. It is EXCELLENT, and you get to see Jim from one of the people who knew him best.

3. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I think it's best to read every source you can on the man, as he is so complex and there is so much to be seen from different angles. Jim Morrison was a beautiful work of art any way you put it and aligning your thoughts with one perspective doesn't give you the full Morrison experience IMO.

Someone could and should teach college classes devoted completely to Jim and The Doors.

4. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think when you're that brilliant, you may have a hard time adhering to the strict confines of cultural norms and morals.

Hendrix, The Beatles, Jim Morrison. These were soul searchers who turned inwards to find answers. I have a hard time judging their decisions because the ends justify the means and if they broke some hearts and laws and compromised their health along the way, well it's a small price to pay for such great art.

Then again, what a damn shame, the violence and death resulting from the drug abuse. Great minds taken away forever. That is a heavy loss.

Would Morrison be as brillaint without the excesses? I don't think so. I think he would feel so suffocated by living a healthy life that he would be blocked creatively. He would long for the beyond.

Where do you draw the line and intervene to save an artist from him/herself and risk blocking creativity by forcing him/her to regulate him/herself? (this is why people usually stick to a singular male or female pronoun) I don't think you can. Who has the wisdom to do that, to make that kind of decision? I'm just glad this world was fortunate enough to produce such individuals, even if they were only with us briefly.

5. while lee

while lee Member

You should have been there he thought he could find us a home and i hope he did

6. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew Member

Was a fine poet

7. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon Member

I think he was a sensitive, gifted lyricist and poet who ended up singing when he wanted to express himself through poetry and perhaps film, like in his HWY movie from '69. There is a certain mystique about him to me.

8. **PsYcHoDeLiC**

**PsYcHoDeLiC** Member

good poet (definitely not one of the best of the 20th century) but a bit of a nob head
    praise where praise is due
    x

9. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

What else are they good for?

10. Biida

Biida Member

Jim Morrison? I'd tap that. Too bad he's dead. I wouldn't tap it now.

I love The Doors quite dearly, I must admit. And now I'm off to smoke a bowl.

11. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

He really amounts to as much or as little as Britney Spears. He wasn't a god, was a talented singer with an engaging stage presence... that fucked up and took enough drugs to kill an elephant.

12. Hibiscusparadiseyogi

Hibiscusparadiseyogi Member

I think he was a talented lyricist, had a great voice, and looked amazing in leather pants.

13. GreenPeace13

GreenPeace13 Member

so true so true Happyfreak

14. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

jim morrison was my first love. he lived a life that i can only describe as art. his intellegence, his pain, his beauty, the way he expressed himself through poetry, his pained voice.. it all amazes me. sure, he was dark and he rolled the dice too many times but i can relate to the man in ways i cannot explain.

15. katiechameleon

katiechameleon Member

wtf mate?
    you're totally wrong.
    he was amazing.
    he was a god to some people.
    hey, and Britney Spears was pretty great back in the day.

16. IronZeppelin

IronZeppelin Member

He didn't write that song acutally. Listen to some of his famous lyrics...

"I want to hear the scream of the butterly."

17. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Elaborate. What do you find disappointing about Jim Morrison?

18. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

LMAO. And not only at the awful colored text :)

19. katiechameleon

katiechameleon Member

wow.
    salmon4me you must be a lonely person if you have to go around making fun of other people for no reason.
    it's orange text.
    who cares?
    don't make fun of Jim Morrison either.
    he was better than you'll ever be im sure.

20. princesspeace

princesspeace Member

I love his music,and poetry.I feel he was extremely gifted. A handsome man,a beautiful singer,sensitive poet,what more can you say. He lived in a time of heavy drug experimentation and paid the price. He will live in my heart forever as one of my favorites.