jim morrison

Discussion in 'People' started by themysterytramp, Apr 19, 2007.

1. themysterytramp

themysterytramp Member

what was so good about him? just read his biography, he didnt seem as great as people think

2. passanger

passanger Member

He made his dick something worshiped more than anything else....
    that is something called damn good marketing.

3. legend 1967

legend 1967 Member

Morrison certainly represented much more than just a dick for women to worship.
    Perhaps you should someday listen to some of his early music "Light my fire"
    etc, and perhaps your opinion may change ?

4. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

He was an interesting guy with an interesting mind.

5. themysterytramp

themysterytramp Member

jim morrison only wrote one verse of light my fire. but yeah he wrote some good lyrics. but he was often an idiot in his everyday life. just dont think he's worth being held as a hero

6. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

not to change the subject, but look at kurt cobain, nobody thought he was the great, but he had a stomch and intestine illness, and laughingly killed a cat,but he was also a track star in highschool...jim morrison,jimi hendrix,bob marley, all great writers, its how you seem them in the form of their music

7. passanger

passanger Member

Someone please shoot me, it is starting again!!!!!
    Search a little bit, you will find AT LEAST 30 topics with the stuff written.
    People will never agree about this....

and to legend 1967:

I have read all of Morrisons poetry, and listened to all of their albums, seen pretty much all of their important live performances, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.
    And just to let you know.... What you read in my first post is something called "sarcazam" (you might want to look it up)

8. frkadela

frkadela Member

He is f****** genius...
    Great poet...
    Great musician...
    Eccentric...

9. steffan

steffan puffin

wow if I could only write the way he did, there is good reason he is considered by many to be the best poet of the 20th century. there are parts of a few poems I have memorized and when I repeat them people just go quiet and sit in awe for a second or two. he was amazing

10. HappyFreak

HappyFreak Member

Jim was an amazing man. He was a philospher, an amazing poet, and an awsome song writer. He is one of the few people out there that truely tried to break through boundaries and become free. I love jim. I'm serious I wouldn't have gotten into music, philosophy, religion, poetry, or hippiedom if he wasn't around. He gave me something sacred. It sounds like idol worship but hell, I would be miserable if I hadn't found The Doors.

11. legend 1967

legend 1967 Member

12. content&fullyawa

content&fullyawa Member

I think Jim was a man that lived life to the fullest

13. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

Jim Morrison. I adored him in high school for the mystery that he was this dark and mysterious person. But yet reading more into him, I feel as though he drank away his issues. He didn't have the best voice, but his songs, well more of his poetry I felt were compelling and heavy at times. But he was just trying to take it all in which is a nice idea.

14. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

Jim Morrison was a genius. I loved listening to his music and the lyrics..He was such a great poet. I like that movie about him & his band..the one with Val Kilmer in it.

15. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Like many revered artists, I think he's a little overrated (more than most, since he didn't play an instrument), but he was one of the most mesmerizing stage presences in history, wrote some amazing lyrics, and wasn't a bad singer, to boot. Definitely an inspiration of mine, musically and artistically - I respect him tremendously for "The End" alone.

16. Mr Mojo Rising

Mr Mojo Rising Member

musically he is a hero but as a person he wasnt so flash but he is often made out to be worse than he actually was.

17. Aesthete

Aesthete Member

As someone who's read a few Morrison biographies, I think I'm informed enough to comment. The music and writing he produced during his lifetime has become admired by many, and with good reason. It was singular, avant-garde, and (dare I say it) revolutionary in its core ideals. Unlike many of people we revere, Morrison had a value independent from his creations. For some of the very reasons the most singular and groundbreaking men of history have been studied academically Morrison is read into by people like me and other such devotees. He transcended musicianship, extending into areas of poetry, film, philosophy, and writing--all of which he was unique and masterful at. The image of Morrison as the rampant, drunk spirit who engendered his own destruction is partly true. However, it must also be taken into account the destructive forces. You could go into a psychological case study of the man, but the fact remains that he was mostly a victim of his own success. He lived by his Dionysian ideals, which ultimately contributed to his demise. However, the subjectivity of experience must be emphasized. There were still elements of truth and sublimity which he certainly attained. (Better than working 50+ years as a thrall for ultimately nothing). He has provided me with a new phrase for my lexicon: breaking through; and this he did. But it was the superficial aspects of his stardom conflated with his personal quest for truth that kind of produced the wreck he became.

18. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

The movie, "The Doors", is quite well done and worth seeing if you have a VCR. Val Kilmer does an incredible job as Jim, and Meg Ryan as Pam is also good.

I saw the Doors when they played for a dance at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, in 1968. They were dressed in complete leather, they were loud and they really rocked. It was obvious that they loved what they were doing, playing their special band of rock and seeing the kids get off on their music. And that's what they were all about.

As others have said here, Morrison was one hell of a poet, lyricist and free spirit who lived his short life to the fullest.

It's like one of the Beatles said (McCartney, I think): "We were a great little band. And that's all we ever were."
    [​IMG]

"Strange days have found us.
    Strange days have tracked us down.
    They're going to destroy our casual joy.
    We shall go on playing or find a new town."

19. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Morrison was a guy who learned to accept the darkness inside of him, rather than fear and repress it. And you know what? I don't think it ever consumed him. He was no saint, and yes he was even theatrical and he studied and practiced in a self conscious way to shape himself into what he wanted to become, but it was more like him chipping away at the outer layer to arrive at what he knew was deep inside.

Most of all I think Morrison lived his life like it was a work of art and there is something in almost all of us that is attracted to that I think.

20. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

He was so sexy looking, and with his deep resonent voice he was a heart throb. He looked good in leather pants. That's why Jim Morrison is so great. Oh, and he wrote "The End", nuff said.