Jiddu Krishnamurti on the nature of dreams and their cessation...

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Ajay0, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

An insightful dialogue between enlightened master Jiddu Krishnamurti and a friend on the nature of dreams and their cessation. This conversation is a part of Jiddu Krishnamurti's book 'Series on Living' (Third Volume)

Series III - Chapter 43 - 'Awareness And The Cessation Of Dreams' | J. Krishnamurti

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would rather my dreams continue without my life, then my life continue without my dreams.
    not sure what he means by dreams in that quote.
    sounds more like he's using the word as some sort of allegory then the parallel universe i live in when asleep.

ZenKarma likes this.
  3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

double post

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Dreams, nightmarish or even pleasant, prevents deep and sound sleep that is essentially relaxing, refreshing and prepares for the next days labors.

Nightmare disorder, also known as dream anxiety disorder, is a sleep disorder characterized by frequent nightmares. Nightmares can cause potential heart attacks in those who are at risk because of high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking or other factor.

Pleasant dreams as well leaves one tired and exhausted upon waking up.

It has been shown that depressed people dream up to three times as much as non-depressed people.

Vivid dreaming can keep sleep from being restful: NetWellness

Depression and Dreams: How Mental Health Affects Your Dreams | Mental Health Blog

In my personal experience, I happen to enjoy deep sleep and their aftermath better than pleasant dreaming experiences .

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

to the contrary, dreams are an integral element of sleep, and essential to its mechanism of restoration.
    i think people, the dominant culture, have gotten so far from reality, that many are construing what is natural and healthy as some form of depression.
    clinical depression is when people loose interest in the very things that are most intrinsic to their own personal inclinations.
    not when they harmlessly follow their own paths.

individual milage may of course vary. my dreams take place in a parallel universe, where far fewer people are repulsed by logic then in ours, and i far more seldom encounter them at all.
    not everything always goes how i would want it to, anymore then in waking life, but with almost none of the anxiety, which that alone makes them a kind of mini vacation.

if anything, it is hard for me to imagine, anyone not being depressed from NOT dreaming.

6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Actually research has proven that the human mind dreams as a natural state, and when prevented from dreaming it leads to serious mental disorders.

Not all gurus state helpful advice, it is usually advice from their own egos and is a way of controlling their followers.

7. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I have stated my own personal experiences over here. I have noticed that dreamless deep sleep states were more productive for me than pleasant dreams or nightmares (both which left me fatigued and agitated). I resonated with the article and hence put it over here.

Yoga Nidra practices were formulated in ancient times to facilitate the state of deep sleep more quickly. Yoga nidra results in conscious awareness of the deep sleep state,and is considered among the deepest possible states of relaxation while still maintaining full consciousness. It is also used currently in complementary alternative medicine for therapeutic purposes and thereby reducing psychosomatic symptoms such as headache, giddiness, chest pain, palpitations, sweating and so on.

Yoga Nidra: The Yoga of Enlightened Sleep - Flourish Counseling and Wellness