Jesus Christ and Atheism

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by bird_migration, Aug 9, 2018.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think you have the wrong dad stereotype. god was more of the come home drunk and say "you messed up my papers, i'm gonna hang you from a cross" type of dad.

tumbling.dice and hotwater like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Definitely the "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you" type of dad

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The term "Son of God" comes up in two different ancient Mediterranean cultures: Jewish and Greco-Roman. In Jewish culture, it appears as a metaphorical honorific title,referring to a human (especially a king) who was used as God's instrument on earth. (2 Samuel7:14; 1 Chronicles 17:13; Psalm 2:7). At the coronation of Jewish kings, the words of Psalm 2 "you are my son.." were recited. Or sometimes the term referred to the whole nation of Israel. (Hosea 11:1) In Greco-Roman culture, the term was taken more literally to mean the actual son of a god, by sexual union (e.g., Heracles, procreated by Zeus) ; by adoption (e.g., Octavian Caesar Augustus, divi filius (son of god), through adoption by Julius Caesar (whom Octavian persuaded the Senate to declare a god; or by miraculus birth (e.g., the god Aion born of the virgin Kore). Christian tradition seems to incorporate the Greco-Roman concept into Old Testament Jewish scriptures.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

why christ and athiesm and not lao tsu and athiesm or buddha and athiesm?
    christ was a good jewish boy who was exicuted by the roman empire as an enimy combatant.
    he did preach peace the last three years of his life, and during that time may have channeled a god,
    but what does that have to do with the question of gods existing or not doing so?

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

actually we don't know any of that. it was all made up by humans. one or more gods could very well exist, with no one knowing a damd thing about any of them.
    only humans claim a god would wish to be feared, and only for entirely human reasons.
    the wish to be feared is a human weakness. why wouldn't a god who could create universes, be entirely innocent of it?

what if gods and religions both existed, but simply had no relationship to each other at all?

religions were invented in an attempt to stop bullying. they have proved less then 100% effective, though to some statistically measurable degree they may have helped.
    the existence of gods, if they should happen to, really have no dependence on this at all.

(oddly enough i do believe something like a god exists, but for reasons that are probably meaningful only to myself, and/but, NOT like what people tell each other to pretend)

Running Horse likes this.
  6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

There were 47 scholars involved in the translation, all from the Church of England. The New Testament was translated from Greek and the Old Testament from Hebrew and Aramaic. It was published in 1611.

Also, I don't think there are any first hand accounts of Jesus encounters. None discovered anyway.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There are first hand accounts in the gospels. But its known they were put to writing years after that.

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

If you change your definition of God to what Gods actually are, the collective wills of a religious sects, then Jesus is the son of God. Jesus is the son, the creation, of the greater collective will called Christianity. I believe Jesus was a real man that religious people embellished stories about, and new religions developed around those stories.

Tishomingo and Okiefreak like this.
  9. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

If God was real then there would only be one God, and one religion.

But, due to the sheer amount of suffering of innocent and especially young lives, how can anyone follow any God who allows such "natural" death and allows religions to fight to the death just because of their religion. Surely if you are a lovely amazing God, then prove it.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

the lord is my savior .. nothing else shall I want.. he leads me to pasture, he gives me repose..

damn my nigga , isnt u programed properly??.. wtfih ..

11. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

What's "repose"?

And for the record I'm not a nigga. That's like me as a British saying "dayyyum lad wtf are you on?"
    As if, you believe in some mythical tooth fairy in the clouds - yet you call me a nigga not programmed properly. pmsl.
    Go on lad! Let me know or forever hold your peace.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nigga whaa?

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

How often aka how many references of jesus are actually in the book?

14. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

oops please delete

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

'Ello govna!

16. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Yes m'lady?

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Repose a state of tranquility, in awe to the glory of God..

18. Visexual

Visexual Member

Of course an Atheist can believe in Jesus of Nazareth. The term Christ means something divine. And the bible is two parts, old testament and new testament which are two very different religions. I've often said that God would today be a Republican and Jesus today would be a Democrat.

About twenty years ago someone came up with the acronym, 'WWJD' (What Would Jesus Do). This atheist liked it but the Christians couldn't live with it.

19. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think Jesus was either schitzo or found some ergo or magic mushrooms.
    I guess he's the son of god in the sense that we are all children of the cosmos. But I doubt there are favorites... ;)

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I’m more of a What Would Superman Do kinda guy