Jesus Christ and Atheism

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by bird_migration, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Hello friends,

Literally hundreds of years ago an amazingly wonderful fellow called Jesus Christ died on a crossroad near Jerusalem.
    There have been many books written about him, most famously one called the 'King James Bible'. I forgot the author of this masterpiece, but if you insist I can look it up for you.
    If you haven't read it I can definitely recommend it to all of us. The book, you could say it's an autobiography about Jesus Christ, consists of first-hand accounts and encounters with Jesus Christ.

Like an urban spaceman once said: "here comes the twist":
    Hence the conundrum; can you still be an atheist knowing Jesus Christ was real, and he actually WAS the son of God?

In loving spirit and praise be with you,

bird

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Haha, help!

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well look who is back

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Jesus spent a whole lot of time camping out with 12 dudes, we know what that really means

5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Blame it on the drugs

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i insist.

Piobaire likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

It's quite a list.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh wow, bird migration. :D

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Bird..Bird..Bird......Bird Is The Word...... :D

Can't Find The Video Of That Song.....:disappointed:

Cheers Glen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, I know they used it in full metal jacket, so you might be able to find that clip lol. I used to have the full metal sound track on cassette. :D my dad had a friend with an older son who gave me lots of music. I used to love recording cd to cassette. :tongueclosed: all my group listened to Metallica on cassette, usually I'd be the one with the cd and then just recorded to cassette. But by then cds had taken over. I wish I had my cassette wallet, I'm not sure where that has ended up. It was ugly, poo brown. Leather. Could hold 10-15 cassettes. I had all the 60, 70s Nam music cassettes, that's how I grew up listening to rock and roll. I slowly progressed to hard rock and then metal and then went full head banging death metal for ages, then tones back, rediscovered the old stuff 10 years later and now I'm fused between rock n roll, metal as a whole, crappy rap and country. :tearsofjoy: with a touch of folk and classical.

12. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

lol Interesting to see where this thread went in just the first few posts.

Yes, a person can be atheist if they believe in Jesus. Of course not if they believe Jesus was the son of God. A person can believe in Jesus without believing in God.

Tishomingo and Visexual like this.
  13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

GLENGLEN likes this.
  14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^^...LOL.....Now That's Going To Be Stuck In My Head For Days......If Not Weeks...... :D

Cheers Glen.

hotwater likes this.
  15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Is there any impeteus for an atheist believing in Jesus?

Jesus would be viewed as a liar/delusional if a dissenting atheist takes his claims at face value or a distorted character if following the authors of the Bible, so at that point is the belief primarily in attempts to resolve a sense of historical accuracy?

That seems bordering on a amusing paradox...

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

He was just a carpenter though. It's not too hard to believe that at some point there may have been a guy named jesus who was a carpenter and maybe even a admired philosopher Amongst social groups and peers.

Piobaire and Meliai like this.
  17. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

A person can believe that such a character has existed without believing there was a God........Not much more to it then that. lol

Reasons may vary, obviously.

Tishomingo and Okiefreak like this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'll bite. I'm a Christian. The part of the "conundrum" that an atheist might have trouble with is "knowing he actually WAS the son of God"? Obviously, if an atheist "knew" that, (s)he wouldn't be an atheist. So, No. (s)he can't. Unless you take "son of God" to be an honorific title, which is how it was used by the Jews of ancient times.

A person could still be an atheist and believe that Jesus was a real person, and could even believe he was a really wise person whose teachings are worth following. But by definition, an atheist can't believe that Jesus was divine.

20. That's so stupid...the "son of God." Like God is sitting up in Heaven on a lazy boy, reading the paper and smoking a pipe in a cardigan...and he's like, overjoyed when Jesus hits a baseball or something. Can't quite be there for the kid, but Jesus knows it's his dad anyway. How dumb is that?