Jerry springer:The Opera

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by matthew, Jan 8, 2005.

1. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Well not the whole christian faith.. just a few thousand .. thats all... i don't think you misinterpreted ... just maybe took it personaly ?.

2. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i dont really know much about it. all i've heard is what was on the news about the bit that was being protested about.
    i understand why people wanted it censored.
    however i didnt get why people wanted to censor 'life of brian'. they didnt seem to get that it was about someone called brian, not jesus, about his life, not jesus'. the only things in relation is the bit where he's crucified and where wise men visit him (hilarious)

in fact i think a quote is in order:

brian's mum:'Capricorn, eh? What are they like?'
    wise man "He is the son of God, our Messiah. King of the Jews."
    brian's mum 'And that's Capricorn, is it?'
    wise man "no, just him"
    brian's mum 'i was gonna say, if that was capricorn, there'd be a lot of them'

3. Loki84

Loki84 Member

I'm happy with the job that the BBc does, and i think that license payers should be more offended that the BBC have squandered £10m on showing the harry potter movie on xmas day than showing a modern day opera wit ha bit of swearing.

there are a few religious programmes, and I have watched them, and they've been quite informative. if they are offended at JSTO, they should keep their televisions turned off, or tuned into another channel. Where are these religious groups when shit relaity TV shows rule the airwaves?

the thing is that when people tune in for JSTO, they know precisely what they're in for: An opera, with a bit of swearing, and themed around an outrageous talkshow. If this is not your thing, don't watch it.

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

You understand why they are protesting ? i think you may have gone along with the people protesting about the LOB way back when ? . Now you have seen it and was not influenced by other peoples opinion you think its (hilarious) :p

5. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

That's the amazing thing about this ... the play is not about christianity in any way, when I first heard the story I was incredulous and had to think back to try to remember what the play had to do with christianity! It has God and Satan as allegorical figures and a scene set in hell. That's it. It was written by people who have been brought up in this country - a nominally christian country - for whom, like for me, these characters and ideas form a kind of background to our cultural life. They have been taken, almost unthinkingly, to stand metaphorically for judgement and redemption in the landscape of ideas which forms the background for this satire on reality television.

6. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

yeah, it makes most sense if people who want to watch it, watch it. those who dont...dont

7. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I might just permit myself a chuckle over that...:) If you think the Life of Brian was not about Jesus then ... well I'm speechless. Now that was a blasphemous film if ever there was one, deliberately so...

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

So will you be watching it ?.

9. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

no i wouldnt have. i dont think you should censor things. i can also understand why people would have wanted LOB censored. just because i understand something doesnt mean i instantly agree with it

10. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i will be watching it. hopefully

11. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

To be honest i find The Jerry springer show cringeworthy 'go jerry go jerry'

Yeah jerry please go hahahaha No not realy it was fun in its time ...

12. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i've never even seen the program

13. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

:) Good... hope to hear your views some time after ?.

14. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

yeah...if i get to see it

15. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I've got it on now ... It's boring me

16. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I've just watched it. It's not a serious opera but just a hilarious satirical knock at the US white trash culture ... or something!

17. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

What I love about it is how so fantastically linguistically aware it is, you can see the piercing intelligence of Stewart Lee at work in its gorgeous faux-naivety and playfulness of language... and to think that people wanted to censor that ... ideas like this are what drive culture forwards.

18. Loki84

Loki84 Member

i watched the first half hour and then went out for a night out. I liked it, and wished i could have seen it all. However, i'd made previous arrangements.

i hope that the BBC will show it again, seeing as i missed my opportunity! I so wish I had sky plus, or at least a working video/DVD recorder.

It was quite funny, from what I saw, and i will actually be purchasing a copy of the sunday mail today in order to see what they've said. I know it's trash, but I believe that seeing what the mail have to say about JSTO will be funnier than the actual opera.

19. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I would just like to congratulate the BBC on holding their ground over the whole 'fundamentalist right-wing Christians complaining about BBC 2 showing Jerry Springer – The Opera' thing.

I believe in and respect a person's freedom of worship. I also believe (after seeing the show, which was fantastic, and gave a very positive message in my opinion) that some people might find the show blasphemous, and at odds with their own views on religion. But: there is no law against blasphemy, and no one was forcing these people to watch it.

OK, so it upset a lot of people (although the percentage of people, based on total number of Christians in the UK, is very small), and I'm sorry that you find it offensive. But we live in a free society. People are encouraged to expand their minds and think for themselves.

I don't believe in god: but you don't find me standing outside a church, protesting at the people inside learning about god. So why do these people feel they have the right to stand outside BBC centre and demand that something be taken off the air, just because they don't agree with it.

These people need to get off their high-horses and realise that 'their way' is not the 'best way' for everyone. If you're offended by something you see (be it on TV, in a film, in a book or in a magazine), as long as it's not illegal, you should just ignore it, and get on with your life.

20. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I couldn't have said it better myself! *claps*:)