Jerry springer:The Opera

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by matthew, Jan 8, 2005.

1. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4023091.stm

I have been suprised at the levels of hostility from christians over this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/08/nspring08.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/01/08/ixportal.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4152433.stm

Well possibly not as much since i thought about the fact that another work of theatre had bad or good press (wichever way you look at it).

http://talk.workunlimited.co.uk/print/0,3858,5089359-110427,00.html

I feel they are just jumping on the band wagon...

Amongst other things they feel that the licence fee should not be spent on this.. well i would go along with the thought that non christians have to support countless hours of religous diatribe on the BBC .... its a scarey concept but you don't have to watch it... i don't have any complaints i just don't watch.. Jerry springer: The opera, takes up maybe about 0.00001p of my Licence fee, how much does religous programming take up ?.

I believe they may take the BBC to court because thay say HUman rights and the BBC charter are being violated .... clutching at straws i say.

2. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Well that's the thing, isn't it? I don't mind my license fee being spent on religious broadcasting because the BBC is an institution that caters to all aspects of society. So really, christians have got a bit of a nerve trying to control what the rest of us watch. I could have a little more sympathy if it wasn't for the fact that Britain's pretty much a secular society these days. Why should our cultural consumption be dictated to by a religious minority? More importantly perhaps, how many of these people have actually seen the program about which they're complaining so vociferously?

3. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I agree wholeheartedly with both posts... As a devout atheist, I don't protest at distasteful and disgusting programmes like Songs of Praise or those hideous Sunday morning things with Philippa Forrester.

I quite like Thought for the Day on the Today programme when I get to hear it - not that its subject matter is ever particularly religious, but well thought out opinions and commentaries on current affairs from members of the clergy often make me think about things in different ways, something it's always valuable and important to do. I have seen Jerry Springer: The Opera and I would suggest that it is a well thought out, perceptive and insightful satirical commentary on something in our culture. These closed-minded Christian groups who are protesting the BBC should take the opportunity to learn from an alternative source of knowledge in much the same way I listen to informed and knowledgeable Christians talking on Today.

Can I also take this opportunity to recommend you all watch Jerry Springer: The Opera on BBC2 at 10pm tonight!:D

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I did and have actualy listened to many people that support the actions of christian voice and others.. The thing that disappointed me , apart from them picking on something so trivial (when their are more important things going on in the world)... was that their arguement was so lame .

1. licence fee.
    2. blasphemy (every other programe after 9pm go pick on them ).
    3. Being picked on ... boo friggin whoo .
    4. Human rights , devalues many legitimate cases imho.
    5. licence fee (when all else fails ,lets get back to that one).

The reason this thread was started :p . I hope it does not disappoint now.

5. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Yes, it's a complete non-story, they have no single case so use a pebble-dashing of rather lame objections... another one quoted is the "bad language" in the play. Surely they would realise that all they have done is raised the profile of this programme and made more people interested... I didn't even know it had been televised until I heard the news story. It's hard to imagine what they thought they might achieve by kicking up a fuss.

I saw its debut run at the Edinburgh Festival a couple of years ago, it's pure genius:)

6. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

why cant christians complain? the sikhs started violent protests when there was a play in a sikh temple where people got killed so why cant christians complain about this? if it was any other religion it wouldnt be shown. its just because its christianity that every one thinks its ok. that's just stupid.

7. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

They can complain, and they did complain ... nobody is suggesting they don't have the right to air their views, no matter how ignorant and backwards they might be...

8. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

only as ignorant and backwards as any other religions, if not less. i think the problem is that the media shows christianity as a bunch of people with strict rules who want to censor people. that's because of things like songs of praise (so very crap) and george bush (who isnt a real christian anyway). you're all just a bunch of media-following-people who dont actually know anything from their own experience.

9. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

The play was not even shown , because of a heightened sensitivity to their beliefs . Not from the whole community , just a small No. .. wich is unfortunate .

sorry

6.If it was any other religeon it would not be shown

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Whereas having barely sprouted your first pube, you're clearly overflowing with an abundance of experience.

11. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i have nothing against it being shown, i just think that people are letting it being shown because its not any other religion being made fun of.

12. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Perhaps because in this case the protest came from a bunch of people with strict rules who want to censor people? This isn't a debate about the nature of christianity, but about the nature of the protest against the televising of this play... I'm sure the protest against this programme does not represent a mainstream of moderate christian opinion.

Instead of seeking to insult all us media following people who don't know anything from our own experience, why don't you engage with the topic at hand and tell us your views?

13. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

The blashemy and heresy laws were created , so people that do not agree with christianity have to watch what they say and a long time ago watch for their lives....

The mere fact that a lot of our laws are in some part and are quite heavily based on a religous belief .. says christians and the christian belief has had a un healthy bias on our society.......how fair do you think that is.

14. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

have you seen it.. ...

15. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i dont think that's fair at all. but i have a feeling that most of the laws would be quite alike i.e not killing people, not stealing.

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Yeah the common sense laws i can agree with.. Its the few i mentioned and many others , now thankfuly gathering dust (mostly).

17. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

by the way, i haven't seen it

18. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Judging by the Monty Python quote in your signature, I imagine you would enjoy it immensely.:)

19. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

well it seemed to be the view of everyone on the thread that the whole christian faith is just being pathetic about the play.

sorry if i misinterpreted what was being said

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Well we may just swap positions on this (if you watch tonight)... :p

we could chat about it till 9.59pm an then you watch it and go

'whats all the fuss about'

or you could be writing a stern letter to the BBC

Wichever, you wont feel any diffrent about christianity i think.... I was just about to say it's all about free speach, but their are limits to that i think. I would just say watch it (so will i) and come to our conclusion after :) .