Jazz for the non initiated?

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by Fixes_big_yellow_things, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Fixes_big_yellow_things Members

I've always liked complex music, with tastes varying from classical, to metal, bluegrass and everything in between.

But In my limited exposure to it I've never had an ear for jazz , something about it doesn't click.

Any one recomend anything. I always like hearing new stuff, and frequent small bars and clubs with live music even though I dont drink

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't really listen to much current jazz but

Allan Holdsworth, he shreds on some songs, so if you like Metal you might enjoy him:

3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

The album Under the Boards by Taste has some songs that are jazz influenced. I'd suggest it might appeal as a stepping stone for someone not entirely jazz inclined.

(I'll take any chance to tell people about this album because it's amazing)

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Mushroom Jazz! :D by Mark Farina

It's dj music, but it's pretty cool. I like Mushroom Jazz 2 better than the other ones. And anyway you get a strong distinct sense of Jazz hearing it.

Do you like cultural music? Like, world music? There are styles of jazz from other parts of the world. I know I like Bossa or like Latin jazz. It's cool. :sunglasses:

5. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I like Rory Gallagher's Playing !

Driftrue likes this.
  6. quark

quark Parts Unknown

The Aristocrats

7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I like more of the ''chill mix'' jazz stuff these days. Compilations of all types of artists but put into a chill mix.

8. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Drifter, I could listen to that for hours, weird clashy mix of blues/jazzy/almost country-ish at times rock

I Had never heard of them, but you have convert. Some of the old music Ive never heard still amazes me at times. That albums from 10 years before i was born.

Driftrue likes this.
  9. Fixes_big_yellow_things

A Random YouTube find after searching for mushroom jazz, listening it right now. Different

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Awesome!
    As Mally mentioned.. Rory Gallagher is the guy. His solo stuff is also brilliant.

11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I know you do : )
    You've got the best music taste on HF in my opinion.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I do not like jazz.

Actually, I hate jazz.

Thats all I have to contribute

13. Fixes_big_yellow_things

So much other modern music is heavily influenced by jazz you probably like it and dont even know it.

Slower easy listening jazz I've had never much interest in. but then you come across something like this...makes your brain say wtf cause it's both heavy and soft at the same time.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The guy is good and fast.I can recognize the talent of jazz players, but most of it seems to be done for other jazz musicians to demonstrate how far away from an original idea they can get and then get back to it to show musical expertise. Some of it seems like there is no point at all to what is being played--just something from a disorganized mind. I suppose that could be the point of that type of jazz.. I know that the only jazz records that I have purchased were back in the early 60s from Bruebeck and the sax player that played with him. Blue Rondo A La Turk, Take Five and several others on that record were heading somewhere with coherent themes that I as a non musician could follow and "ünderstand"/enjoy. Also when the same sax player played with that guitar player from Brazil on a record. Memory betrays me on this. But I don't doubt for a minute the huge talent that jazz players have. I haven't tried enough of it, so perhaps I'm missing much of jazz, contemporary and otherwise that I could learn to like.

15. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Been listening metal fusion lately, a lot it is verry heavily jazz influenced. Is kind of what's brought me in here.

Guys like Felix martin, Symmetry roots, project, exivious etc.

Really good at annoying my pop country liking wife

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Paul Desmond on the record Time Out with Brubeck.

17. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Brubeck I know...take 5 is like the stairway to heaven of jazz. Nearly every one knows that tune even they don't have a clue who it is.
    Have never purposely listened to him though