Janet Jackson & America

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Leigh420, Jun 5, 2004.

1. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

I hate that whole "but kids were watching!!" argument. If you REALLY care that your kids will be influenced by TV, then you shouldn't have let them watch the SuperBowl in the first place. That's what's wrong with our society-we let our kids watch violent sports and play violent video games, but GOD FORBID they see a bare breast!!!

2. Megara

Megara Banned

lol, please tell me you arent serious

the football is a violent sport? Oh come on. and violent video games? Jeez...why is it that 99.9% of people can play violent video games, watch violent movies, watch voilent sports and be productive members of society, but the .0001% who react badly too it(SUPPOSDLY) are used as excuses for how we are corrupting our kids. Why cant we accept that some people are just fucked up and evil and stop blaming hollywood, aclaim, and the NFL.

3. sadeyedlady

sadeyedlady Member

Well, nothing's been proven, but all the studies I've read about in the news or wherever, suggest an increased aggressiveness in children exposed to violence on the screen.

Accepting that some people just "happen to be evil" is, in my opinion, really dumb.

4. metro

metro self-banned

I agree w/Megara. Football violent? I don't think so. War, murder, rape, abuse, etc. yes. I don't think anyone will be damaged by watching football. Or playing violent video games. Almost everyone I know plays them, even myself occasionally.

5. Megara

Megara Banned

the news is more violent than just about any movie....i get more squeamish seeing amputeed iraqis than i did seeing chunks of "jesus's" flesh ripped out in the passion.....i guess i can distinguish between whats fake and real though.

6. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

I wasn't joking. Football IS violent, not as much as hockey granted (but parents still let kids watch hockey). But anyway, my main argument was that it's OK (generally speaking) for kids in American to be exposed to violence, but not to the naked body. And yes, I think that's EXTREMELY wrong.

7. Megara

Megara Banned

so are you advocating that kids should see people naked? Or that there is a double standard and either both should be allowed or both banned?

8. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

And I FUCKING MISSED IT!!! I was thinkin "Oh, here's the stupid halftime show with Jackson and whats-his-name." And I went into the other room to play Mario Kart. WELL, all of a sudden, my bros RUSHED into the room and said that Janet Jackson flashed her boob. AN I FUCKIN MISSED IT. They teased me fer a day and a half with that. And to add injury to insult, the Panthers fuckin LOSSED! Jesus, I'm still not over that one, totally. But, yeah, from one of like the lowest scoring teams to the fuckin Super Bowl in a year, that's a pretty good turnaround. Scared the shit outta those fuckin New Englanders. :sunglasse

9. xthevalkyriex

xthevalkyriex Member

I'm saying that there is a double standard, with sex and violence, in America. Many parents let their children watch wrestling or violent sports (and yes, football is a violent sport) or whatever, but get outraged whenever the child hears a reference to a naked body part or a sexual act. I don't think a child is going to be damaged for life by seeing a bare breast on TV. Granted, I can see how the REMOVAL of Janet's outfit was violent (being ripped off by a man), but the actual breast itself..please.

10. Leigh420

Leigh420 Member

any sport can turn violent, because there are psychos out there playing that could take the game too seriously. even ice skating, remember that whole thing with one female skater breaking the other skaters ankle or something? any sport that you could get an injury in, is violent! thats so stupid to say footballs not violent, how many footballers do you hear of coming out of the game injury-free? but its also stupid to just go and ban everything, tie pillows to every corner, blah blah because thats not living. sports are alot of fun and usually healthy (if played correctly) to be honest id rather my child see a tit than the news every day where he'd see murder scenes, violence in iraq, cruelty to animals, people with disgusting diseases...

11. metro

metro self-banned

My brother played football and wrestled in highschool, he wouldn't hurt a fly. Contact sports are not in any way dangerous to watch, everyone knows it's a game and there are rules. I think hockey is much more violent than football, they throw punches etc.
    I don't think anyone said anything about the bare breast, just the manner in which it was bared.

12. metro

metro self-banned