Janet Jackson & America

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Leigh420, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Leigh420

Leigh420 Member

i thought this was just.... unbelievable, how big and "shocking" this was to everyone when Janet Jackson exposed herself on tv. what kind of country is it when there are other WOMEN suing because there was a breast on television. if i was the judge, i'd only allow this if the women involved planned on suing themselves because, guarenteed, theyve seen their own breasts. and another point, has everyone forgotten that men also technicly have breasts, they just dont produce milk or grow. yet men are allowed to be seen on tele without shirts, why? why are americans so ASHAMED of themselves,or rather, ashamed of their women? i believe its one of the only or very very few countrys to blurr out Gods art - the female body, be to scared to show a certain finger, too scared to even allow certain words. a recent study showed that the only reason america is such a violent place is because of Fear alone. its not violent movies, songs, or any game because EVERY other country has the exact same thing or even more and theres not nearly as much crime in those countrys as in america. think about it, how often do you hear something happy on news in america? its only fear fear fear.
    just my opinion, i'd like to know if anyone agrees or what ya think :)

2. metro

metro self-banned

I mostly agree w/you, but I think it was the "violent" manner in which her clothing was ripped off (wardrobe malfunction[​IMG]) that is disturbing to women. Plus the fact that it happened during the Superbowl, a highly viewed TV event. If it happened on MTV during late night hours it probably wouldn't have caused a stir. I think people should be warned if there will be nudity, everyone has a right to raise their children as they see fit and if they don't wish them to view nudity, then that's their choice.

3. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

I don't agree with you . Why?- well in my opinion men and women are equal but they are still different in many ways.

We might say "it doesn't matter" but it actually matters very much. Men- including me are aroused by women's breasts , now are women aroused by men's breasts?- I don't know , but men are aroused certainly by womens breasts and this "arousing" makes them see women less equally...

One simple example ... from a real experience of mine... I used to have a friend in class who wanted to study with me. She was a nice girl and everything and I was smart :D so there was no reason not to... but all of a sudden one day she wore this really really "showing" dress.. she was probably going somewhere but this dress was basically showing some of her upper body a lot and was alot of skin-showing rather than the dress..and this just was so embarrasing for me.. when we were discussing our study material.. my eyes kept on going to her Bs and she noticed after a while- but until that point i had to have a lot of self controll.. then she covered them with her jacket... phew!!! thank god for that! and we were finally able to study...

It was embarrasing for her, I could see it in her face and she could see how embarrasing it was for me.. but after that she started wearing nicer clothes and now we have a study group sort of thing, where thank god all the girls wear normal clothes...

I think in order to achieve gender equality and equity - we have to understand that women have to take measures to enforce their true selves into the minds of people instead of their bodies...

This whole society (in my opinion) is supportive of sexual exploitation- you can see examples of these in the media, in the ads, in people's jokes, in people's minds- they often forget that there is alot more to a woman than her body... so it is the very right and DUTY of women to propose and enforce when necessary that they are more than their bodies... which is not necessarily wrong.. but everything has its own time and place.

Remember my good friend, gender roles are based on society's moral standards and how it nurtures individuals to fit those standards... the body of an individual itself is only used for recognition- after that it only plays a very minor role .

4. Rainbow Tears

Rainbow Tears Member

Like she has never got naked in front of a camera??? Ever sence she lost weight she has been showing off her body-- And why the hell would Justin be ripping off a part off a womens top anyways?? whos brilliant idea was that??? I think they are both stupid-- Alot of children witnessed that

5. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

Everyone freaked out because it was a family thing. Kids saw it. it wasnt supposed to be show a boob day. Anyways they shouldnt have freaked out they should have known something was going to happen if MTV was there. Cmon.

Peace
    Chickens

6. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

I was watching it and you saw her teet for like ten seconds if that I did kinda look around the room at my amily and go "did you see that? but we were all busy visiting and we just shrugged it off. I was surprised it became such a big deal. Yeah my kid was around but she sure was'nt watching football so she was'nt there for it. But it might have presented some problems had my sisters other older kids had been there. She is much more conservative than me so it made her upset. I just thought the way Justin reached over and pulled her cup off was staged and not an accident it looked thought out to me. I was watching pretty close cuase I thought those two together was funny in the first place. I think people need to lighten up it not as if he tried to rape her on tv. W/e it was it I could'nt see all the deal it became when all that served to do was make it legendary.

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I'm not American and therefore had the good fortune to watch with amused neutrality.

Nah I don't get why it was such an issue. For a country so hell bent of freedom liberty etc it sure takes a dim view of anything expressing said values.
    It was lame in the sense that it was a publicity stunt, but honestly what is the problem. Yeah some kids saw it, but it's a natural part of a woman's body. Surely some of them have been breastfed or seem their mothers topless (I have, not pretty but still)

Everyone should just chill out and laugh.

TTFN
    Sage

8. sadeyedlady

sadeyedlady Member

It's an issue because American children take what they see on TV too seriously.

If American kids weren't so ignorant, poorly educated, sheltered or had adequate parental guidance, it wouldn't be an issue.

9. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

Yeah the media was what really hyped the whole thing and some uptight middle class person got mad cause what right does a white man have to rip off this black womens top, and o my god I saw a breast not a breast the one thing our country is soo obsessed with!I was really surprised by all the anality of my fellow country men then they tried to cover it up as if it was shameful it went to the song. I thought maybe wrong timing here.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I really think it was blown out of proportion... too big of a deal over just one boob...

11. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Arrghh!!!Please, not another breast thread!!!

12. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

This is one of the most disturbing things I have read on these forums in a long time. It really explains the roots of violence against womyn.

Cause of Arousal=less equal=the "right" to harm the "arouser" (as she is less equal and didn't "do what she needed to do" to make a man behave himself.) This type of thinking explains SOOOO much. I am so glad not all men think this way.

Arousal causes you to look on womyn as "less equal?" THAT is fucked up, dude.

13. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

I apologize if I have given you the impression that says "arousal= seeing women as less equal", let me assure you that it is not what I was trying to say.

What I was trying to say is: To gain equality we need to be aloof to things like sexuality and sexual thoughts... if they are aroused then the person you are looking at would be nothing but an object of your sexual gratification... therefore your mind will make the person an object whether you are a man or a woman.

In the real world, to be successful you have to keep sexuality to a minimum so that you get the job done with out letting your mind from straying away from it- again whether you are a man or a woman. It is a popular idea that women's upper body is sexually arousing- thus will disturb any male inside and if they are like lets say "lifting weights" or lets say " going on around on the street" it doesn't look good.

Because I am a "man" , I was getting my point across- if you see my example by looking at me as a person, instead of a "man" telling that he was "aroused" - then you may see the truth.

In my thinking, in my understanding , it should not matter what sex we are, it should be only a minute part of what we call "ourselves" . In reality what I am and what you are should be dependent upon our intellect, our creativity and our understanding, then we will try to appreciate equality that exists and has existed between us- this is the first step to equanmity in the society.

Thank you :) .

14. peacelizard

peacelizard Member

I totally agree with you. When I saw it, I just kept reading my book, but the next day at school, several of my classes had it as a main disscution. I didn't learn anything that faithful aftermath of Janet Jackson boob being exposed.

15. stormyy

stormyy Member

I don't see why the focus was only on Janet and her breast, when just before that incident, Kid Rock was wearing an american flag "poncho" essentially a flag with a hole ripped in the middle for his head. Now, call me crazy, but why was that such a non-issue in this "time of war"?

Now that i think of it, there was a hell of a lot of crotch-grabbing by the men going on, and that was a non-issue too. Remember that Michael Jackson video that was banned from MTV due to the grabbing of crotch? Didn't MTV produce that halftime show? Whats going on here? Nobody can really isolate one thing as being "contoversial" about the damn show because it was all pretty lewd. Even the song lyrics were less than "appropriate" for family viewing.

If people are really worried about "Little Timmy" seeing a boob, then they should be worried about him singing sonds about strippers, removal of clothing, methadone clinics and people wearing the symbol of the country as a poncho.

Perspective people......

16. Noclothesneeded

Noclothesneeded Member

I read this and felt a twinge of anger rise, so I need to make a point here, and I quote from an earlier post,We might say "it doesn't matter" but it actually matters very much. Men- including me are aroused by women's breasts , now are women aroused by men's breasts?- I don't know , but men are aroused certainly by womens breasts and this "arousing" makes them see women less equally...

First thing, Don't include me as a man in this bullshit theory of yours. As a man, I find a womens breast to no more arousing than my own. There are times when they can be a contributing factor, but by themselves no.

17. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I was out of the room when Janet Jackson supposedly shocked the world by exposing her breast. Later when I heard all the controversial talk about it later on other news shows I asked my 18 1/2 year old son about it. He thought she had a flesh colored body-stocking on. Even if she didn't have the body-stocking we both didn't see what the big deal was, except maybe in the way she did it.
    But at least all the hoopla about it has helped us all remember who she is, and we will probably be talking about it for years (at least during football season)

Lots of sexy looking men parade around stages without a shirt on TV.
    Why is it that some parents will let kids watch violence on TV but get upset when they show couples laying in bed to even sleep? Guess kids should learn to hurt others not look at or even like others.

18. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

Not that I have anything to contribute to the discussion, but do you have an adware problem or something? If you're just underlining words for effect it's fine, but I've seen spyware/adware that does the same thing, just thought I'd let you know.

19. LuvTeleia

LuvTeleia Member

Jedi -

It is NOT a woman's right or duty to wear so-called "normal" clothes just so that you do not look at her or become distracted by her. Clothing that a person wears is an expression of themselves - women that wear revealing clothing are just expressing themselves. For a woman to change her clothing so that there is no chance of a man becoming distracted by her would be to acknowledge that we are unequal. No person should have to change because someone else is uncomfortable or can't handle themselves. Men want women to cover their bodies because they know they cannot control themselves. They are afraid of confidant, independant, sexy women because it threatens their manhood for women to not need them and answer to them.

Sexuality is natural and the body is natural. Any way to get around the current problem of oversexuality and get the job done would be to realize this. By repressing or hiding a body, idea, or anything sexual whatever is being repressed in becoming more taboo and less natural.

You talk about women being seen as more than their bodies, yet when a woman comes over all you do is stare at her breasts. Have some self-control man - this girl came to you for help. Are you totally incapable of functioning if there is a sexy woman around you.

Next time instead of being embarrassed why not try to be happy for her that she is comfortable enough with herself that is is able to wear provocative clothing. Too many women are already self-conscious enough

20. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

yeah that underlining is pretty annoying

is it the fact that it was a breast or the fact that it was janet jackson's breast? i tell ya i've seen plenty of breasts on tv in my day, shows on native tribes or breast cancer or some show about sexuality on discovery channel, doesnt bother me a bit. and i agree about america's kids- we need to get them away from the tv and back into nature and other people

also, have you noticed that its ok to show the breast but not the nipple? janet's nipple had somethin around it..

http://www.drudgereport.com/mattjj.htm