Jack Kerouac

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by kayatree, May 8, 2004.

1. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

ok sal i have to say that that is the best picture i have ever seen. kozmicblues i think the one your talking about is Heartbeat. i've never read it but i heard about it... in the middle of reading dharma bums right now. love it.

2. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

I haven't read Dharma Bums but since it gets a good write-up here I'll have to add it to my want list. I thoroughly enjoyed On The Road and Big Sur but I gave up on Desolation Angels as it was just too weird. Satori In Paris I also have and I can't remember why but I gave up on that one too.

3. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Member

Yeah i have got to read Dharma Bums too, along with about a million books :p

4. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Member

whoops oh yeah that pic is great ay? friend have it to me, good present. you want it? dont know if you can copy it right off the forums .. yeah you prob can, im not much of a comp guy *please see amount of posts* x

5. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

i read Doctor Sax, now THATs weird - i love it though, it's not as good as On The Road.
    Someone else still has my dog-eared copy of that :(

6. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

Doctor Sax is a oretty good book. Not his best but I still dig it. I re-read Mexico City Blues yesterday. That book seems to get better every time I read it.

7. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

i have also read on the road as majority of the other forums members have implied. of course it has no plot, but whose life actually has one. i found it quite different than anything i have ever read. i found out about kerouac actually through the book i read before that, no one here gets out alive, the biography of jim morrison. it fascinated me that jim was really into this book, that i had to get my hands on it. i enjoy it throughly and hope to read other books from him as well as william s. burroughs as well. books are my new obsession, so more to come from jack and as well anybody else that captures something unique compare to the Kings and Grishams of today's best-sellers.

8. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Have read pretty much everything he has wrote and the guy is a God...He completely changed my life and the way I look at things....

To me Kerouac is the greatest writer there has been....My fav is probably the Dharma bums, followed by Big Sur...Two contrasting parts of his personality...

9. LostOne

LostOne Member

Let me just start of by saying that I fucking love this guy and his writing. My girlfriend was reading "On The Road" for school and she said I should read. After a couple of months one day when I didn't have a book (rare) I picked it up and read it. Holy Shit, man. He gets it, ya know. Since then that book has become one of my all time favorites. If you have not read it, please do. I know that pretty much anybody who is on this website, in this forum, reading this thread will appreciate the beauty of this book

"Everything is fine, God exists, we know time"
    Dean Moriarty - "On The Road"

I have also read several of his other books including a couple biographies and he was truly a great author, a great man, and the voice of freedom.

10. LostOne

LostOne Member

p.s. for all of you christianphobic folks out there, dont worry it's not about God.

In its own way it is, but every piece of true art carries the whispered voice of the heavens

11. biba

biba Member

I ordered this book, so i didnt read it yet. But i hear some good things about this book..
    Will let you know when i'm done reading....:)

12. gempoet

gempoet Member

I have to agree with you, LostOne. "On The Road" is one of my all-time favorite books, too. I actually plan on reading it again...:)

13. st0neD|floyD

st0neD|floyD Member

Read the Dharma Bums. I prefered it although both were good.

14. LostOne

LostOne Member

Yeah, Dharma Bums is alos an excellent book.

HOO

15. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

Yes, Dharma Bums is slightly better than On the Road, but On the Road is still great!!! :)

16. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd disagree with "good man" he was a raving alkie who used people, especially women, and was racist to boot. BUT he had a genious for words.
    See also Joyce Johnson's "Minor Characters,"
    Jan Kerouac's "Baby Driver"
    and Carolyn Cassidy's "Off the Road."
    I live in "Dean Moriarty's" hometown and have had the chance to be on Welton street many a night (getting yuppified), in fact a deadhead bar is there now, and you can hear the echos of thepassions that Neal and Jack stirred up.

17. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

Mmmm, The Dharma Bums is awesome :) C'est mon favori!!

18. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I actually asked for On the Road for Christmas, and plan on reading it very shortly. I love his writing. I'm in love with the whole beat generation.

19. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

Good and interesting read.. Jack Kerouac has got some interesting concepts in his books.

20. BackInTheUSSR

BackInTheUSSR Member

the father of the beatniks, i think kerouac was one of the greatest authors that ever lived. I've read most of his books, On the Road and Big Sur have been my favorites so far, i've just started reading Visions of Cody.