Jack Kerouac

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by kayatree, May 8, 2004.

1. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

hahahahahah sal you are so funny...you cocky poo!

2. jackerouac

jackerouac Member

as you can see i am a fan.....

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!"

Jack Kerouac, On the Road

3. dara325

dara325 Member

I have have read On the Road, and it took me a long time, i liked it to an extent, it was not the most riviting book ever and it did not catch my interest. I felt like it took to long to get into it. Jack really took his time getting to the point. It was not the best book ever, i would rather read Hoffman, or Orwell

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I love that quote too, there are so many beautiful ones like that in his books.

5. DaisaeFaerie

DaisaeFaerie Member

i'm reading on the road at the moment, very nearly finished. its mind reeling. im still trying to form an opinion about it but i can definitely identify with and relate to the utter craziness of the entire oroonie...

'...the IT of our final excited joy in talking and living to the blank tranced end of all innurumerable riotous angelic particulars that had been lurking in our souls all our lives.'

wowzer. yes i think you could say im a fan. :)

love daisyness xxx

6. grow your own music

grow your own music el kabong

The Lonesome Traveler is another great one. I just finnished it (for the fourth time ) yesterday.

7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

There's no doubt that on the road and other early works sparkle with a very unique energy and creative genius - but as Jack slowly drank himself into the alchoholism that was to lead to his sad and premature demise, so his writing suffered.

I read quite recently an exellent biog of Jack - 'Jack Kerouac-King of the Beats' by Barry Miles - puts Jack in cultural context, explains links and relations between Jack, Burroughs, Ginsberg and other members of the beat generation. Much other interesting stuff.

8. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

One of my favorites,

"We turned at a dozen paces, for love is a duel, and looked up at each other for the last time." - Jack Kerouac.

He is really really amazing, I am reading desolation angels now(still) Took me a while to get through the first half of him alone on the mountain, but now we are back into story line mode.

9. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

on the road yes. definitaly a favorite of mine. it is true that it has no defined plot. but thats good sometimes. its follows no formula. its as free-formed as the material that jacks writing about. you couldn't use any kind of conventional method to write that book.

10. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

The way he writes his narrative is absolutely amazing, ive never seen an author write like that, totally unique! The stuff he writes about is also exactly what im interested in. I have to say the Dharma Bums is my favourite, ahead of On the Road, Perhaps more because of the subject matter than the quality ( they are both quality books) . Anyway i think everyone in the whole world should experience reading the Dharma Bums, it might change some peoples perceptions, or just give them a damn good read! Yass! Yass! :p

11. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Member

I read loads and I love Orwell too, its actually brilliant. Have you read catch-22? thats amazing too. U have to be open to read on the road, either that, or its just not your thing, which is fair enough! love Sal :)

12. DaisaeFaerie

DaisaeFaerie Member

Catch 22 is absofantabuously awesome. makes your head hurt though - and god did Milo annoy me. still does.*gets annoyed just thinking about him* raaa. YOSSARIAN LIVES

love daisyness xxx

13. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

who's got my copy of on the road? i miss it!

14. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

I loaned my copy of on the road to my manager when I worked at wild oats, then she freaked out and quit. THats like the third copy I have loaned out and not gotten back. Oh well, seems like it gets cheaper everytime I by it though.

15. zoso_zeppelin

zoso_zeppelin Member

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" "

16. *Shoes_Are_Not_Toys*

*Shoes_Are_Not_Toys* Member

I hear you on lending out my copy of on the road, i have not gotten back two of them and they do seem to get cheaper. Jack kerouac is one of my heros in life...he was as free as he could be without crossing that line into just another rich fuck with the power ot buy everything. he did everything he could but he still had the restrictions of money and everything. Also catch-22 is awsome i loved that book so much the day after i finished it i went and bought the book god knows and a few other i hvae not had time to read. and william burroughs is my fave author ever...hence the quote. now if you want true maddness in your reading life he is the one to read.

17. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

heh...
    much of the "spontaneous bop prosody" in jack's writings is his transcriptions of neal's inspired rantings...
    heh...

18. kozmicblues

kozmicblues Member

Personally, when I'm reading I try to divulge myself in the whole era and situation of when the peice was written, which is particularly helpful with Kerouac since most of his stories are actually true stories with the details tweaked. Going back and finding out who the characters really were draws you in a bit more. I also enjoyed...what was the title...something about a Beat Love Affair in Letters between Jack and Joyce Johnson--it just sucks because when you find out what kind of person he really was, he's hard to embrace on some levels.

19. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

I read one of his daughters books and after that it was hard to hold him as high as I did before. The guy was an awesome writer, he just had some personal issues I think.

20. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Member

either way guys Jack Kerouac was a king and shall be missed among the last of the beat generation writers God Bless him ohohoho got to read it again yass yass egad om

where is Delorean's copy?
    help its lost what are we going to do? its his birthday on 2nd feb, so i get him gold plated framed one hehex