I've developed a slight obsession with emo music...

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Politics are awesome, May 31, 2006.

1. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Yeah I went to a salon for my hair. They actually had to use (the proffesional grade of bleach) like 3 times on my hair, plus adding the dye. The whole process took around 4 hours (a very boring process... and to tell you the truth the bleach is itchy and stings a little). But with as much bleaching as was needed, it probably wouldn't have been too much cheaper at home, and it'd probably had fried my hair a lot more.

Yeah, a bands image DOES contribute to how they are labeled, I don't disagree with that. Emo, moreso than other groups, is very diverse anyway. It is really hard to peg a band as being "emo" because there isn't any real criteria to peg them as. Another reason is because almost no "emo" bands CALL themselves emo. If you look up many of them, they use terms like "Alternative" "Indie" "Post Hardcore" "Art Rock" and the like. Almost no "emo" bands EVER call themselves emo! Dashboard, Bright Eyes, Panic! At The Disco are all examples of this. Although more mainstream MTV versions of Emo are starting to get a similiar style of sound. There are many similarities in the sounds of Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco, and those types of groups. However, there is almost nothing similiar between Dashboard, Brand New and Taking Back Sunday. I think this all stems from, if the emo kids like it, they call it emo. If the singers look emo, they call it emo, and if the lyrics sound emo, they call it emo.

Well, I am actually not a big fan of Goth music, so I can't really tell you. I have heard a little bit of Nine Inch Nails, but besides that I am really unsure. I guess what little other than NIN I HAVE heard do have sort of an upbeat sound but also have a reallly dark evil like sound within it I think the beat of Goth music is pretty cool, though. I think Maralyn Manson is technically considered industrial/metal, although a lot of Goth kids really seem to like him. I also think that Goth is deeply related to metal. This is ataually a branch of music I am not really to familiar with though. I know it is considered alternative, which is sort of the anti-metal, however, it is closely associated with metal, so it is kind of odd. I guess like Nu Metal and Hardcore, it sort of bridges a gap between metal and alternative.

I too wander why girls are never in emo bands! See, bright eyes is accepted as emo and folk, sort of like the girl you mentioned. But I don't know why girls aren't ever in emo bands. They are in all other types or bands... I would LOVE to see a girl on stage screaming about how her ex boyfriend was cheating on her with her best friend.

2. prismatism

prismatism loves you

as far as hair goes, if it was itchy or stung, they were putting it on your scalp which you should NEVER do. some people have had their follicles burnt and their hair wouldn't grow, and they had to go to a dermatologist and pay lots of money to have it fixed. also, you shouldn't ever bleach your hair more than once in a day. if it's not as light as you want the first time, wait a week before you try again. 40 volume bleach can get out most black dyes, and it's not expensive. and a deep conditioning mask (which is also pretty cheap) will help lots against damage. :) just to keep in mind if you ever try it again... i've bleached and dyed my hair more times than i can remember.

maybe emo is the leftovers that aren't obviously anything else (techno, country, pop, y'know)

3. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Well, I knew after getting it stripped my hair would be fried... This bleach was also heat activated which I thought was weird... How do you get to the rots WITHOUT getting it on the scalp?

Hmm, I don't know about the leftovers because a lot of emo is getting to be pretty danged mainstream nowadays... I think the most emo thing you can do is not call an emo band emo. If you are in a band calling itself emo, I don't know if you can REALLY be emo, because the first rule seems to be don't consider it emo. (although differant rules apply to screamo, which is actually a whole other genre technically. Brand New, Dashboard, Jimmy Eat World, and Weezer=emo Taking back sunday, hawthorne heights, Thursday=screamo.)

4. prismatism

prismatism loves you

you can put bleach on your roots, just don't get it on your skin. it's possible :).

i guess emo is just very silly and there's no analyzing it

5. Bobby.In.Sngapore

Bobby.In.Sngapore Member

yeah iv been kinda listn to emo for some odd reason.. like i dunno what it is that dragges me into hearin that? but.. its weird :p

6. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

i hate all the differnt sub catagories, emo, screamo, nu metal, hardcore, pop punk, art rock etc etc ... it all seems a bit unnecessary

rock n roll, blues, jazz, rap, hip hop.. there we go ;P

7. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

ooh just saw the hippie pics on the last page, okay i love your lennon shades, i want! ;P

8. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Hair dressers can do a lot of stuff I have no idea how they do... And just people who do a lot with hair in general, not nessecarilly professional hair dressers. No way I could apply that stuff without it touching skin.

The whole concept of emo is very abstract, so yeah it is sort of silly and there is no analyzing it. I guess the qualifications for an emo band is that their music can't be classified as anything else, is somewhat if not extremely alternative, and the emo kids listen to it.

9. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Rocknroll, blues and jazz are awesome! I love them! But come on, rap and hiphop? country+rap=CRAP!!! I enjoy music that has rhythm too, not just beat.

Well, the whole thing behind those sub categories is for better organization. If someone likes the sound, say of Korn, and the sub categories never exist, it would be more difficult to sipher bands with a sound they like. Since Korn and Slipknot are both NuMetal, a lot of people who like one like the other, not all the time but still... It is just a way of organizing. If they didn't have those sub genres, then the music industry would be like a file cabinet with all the papers in it but in no particular order. Everything in the music industry revolves around the sub genres. Without then, it wouldn't fall apart, but it would be much smaller, under funded, and a lot less big and exciting.

10. spooner

spooner is done.

There is nothing funnier than an self-proclaimed emo-kid criticisizing other's taste in music.

11. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

fake emo is...well its okay but only a few artists are appeal to me like Brand New, Bright Eyes, MCR, and Yellowcard. Its one of the things that MTV has basicly ruined and killed.

Real emo is like punk but more, I dunno, emo I guess :D

I hate Fall Out Boy

12. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

Oh man.... I had no intention on this being such a hilarious thread. :D Gosh. :D.

rayne_lyric: Those hippie pictures.... wow. :eek:

13. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

How can a type of music be fake or real? :confused:

"The Doors are soooooo much more realer than Jefferson Airplane, durhhh!"

14. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

ok to be more exact I should say "old" and "new" but really they both sound differnt.

"Are you dense? Of coruse the Grateful Dead are better than Phish!"[​IMG]

15. StoneTempleRoses

StoneTempleRoses Member

I really dislike the "emo" thing. First of all, in my opinion the #1 thing in life you need is happiness. It makes you feel good. To be emo your more or less always depressed or at least dress and act like it. How can you just except that and continue saying yeah im emo. Shouldnt you be looking for a way to snap out of your depressing state? Instead of excepting your depression, dying your hair and wearing all black. Dont even get me started on the wrist cutting come on!

Peace & Love > War & Hate

16. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

I understand why people say that but...
    They are not sad all the time.(Though I did know a emo girl who cut her self, but she was actually messed up. I think she stopped.)
    Besides the darkness is a buteyful thing. Dark music, like any music, can sound good and people can rock out to it! Dark fashion, it is basicly saying "I'm a freak!I love it.I'm not ashamed of it!" and stuff like that. And in the end, the color black is a very cool color.

17. StoneTempleRoses

StoneTempleRoses Member

^ Thats very true, I actually love the color. Its just the depression, I hate it when people are sad and I want to cheer them up!

18. prismatism

prismatism loves you

yeah... we all want to be happy. but we're not happy all the time, so why shouldn't we enjoy being sad too?

19. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I agree, that no one should ever completely down anyone's taste in music. I simply stated why I don't like it, in a pretty straight forward manner. However, I actually DO beleive if someone like something, they have their reasons. I used to be a big music snob, and thought if it wasn't alternative rock of some sort, or really classic rock, then it was extremely low-brow and stupid. I have actually come way past that state. I realized I was just disallusioned in my thinking.

To be honest, there ARE 2 country artists I DO like, Johhny Cash and WIllie Nelson. I also like a few country-influenced bands (Like The Allman Brother's Band, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, and the like.). My biggest problem is with stuff like Mearl Haggard, and this new brand of country. But I know people who like it, and trhey have their freedoms to! Nothing wrong with them liking it, even if I don't. (I have a similiar opinion ragarding hiphop/rap, but I don't like ANY bands from the genres... even though I used to listen to it).

Me thinks he takes everything I say too seriously...

20. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I understand your reasoning behind not liking the more poppy versions of the genre. Something you might find interesting:

In the 1980's, there was a punk rock group called Minor Threat (They stated the Straight Edge thing). They broke up and each formed hardcore groups, one of which is Rites Of Spring. This group was a hardcore group, but the lyrics and vocals were a lot more emotional than traditional hardcore. This, actually, was the first emo band. Fugazi is another emo band founded by some of the members of Minor Threat.

So contrary to popular beleif, emo didn't stem from punk, but actually from hardcore which stemmed from punk. Although in a lot of newer groups, you can DEFFINATELY here more of a punk influence than a hardcore influence. This however, doesn't seem to be true in the Screamo brand of emo, which is actually considered to be an entirely differant genre.