I've developed a slight obsession with emo music...

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Politics are awesome, May 31, 2006.

1. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

Panic! At the Disco are quite awesome... they are one of the most original bands I've heard lately.

Shakira was on near the end of its run... I bet that was amusing. :p

2. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I agree, but there isn't ever really a modern day version of anything in music... I mean everything is either new or the same. I was just trying to compare the similarities. But even though the Ramones's influences were groups like The Beach Boys, The Beatles and The Who, they really sounded nothing like them. The early Punk movement, although it had similarities with it, was not a modern (at the time, modern. Time being 1974) version of 1960's classic rock.

3. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Well i was acctully ust continuing my Rihanna point. Matt Pond is almost emo-ish, just not emo rock...more like OC music. I won't say that OC music sucks though, cause Sam Roberts was on the OC...

Fall Out Boy just bugs the piss outa me. I will admit, I kinda like that new All-American Rejects song, mainly because the video is totally aweosme. :rolleyes: I think it is called Hold On or something

4. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Hahaha, Burbot you are such a "Disco Duck!" I actually have no idea what that means... I hope I didn't just insult you.

5. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Good point...

6. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Is Matt Pond similiar to Dashboard Confessional? His stuff is really emo-ish and he is considered emo but most of his stuff (early and best stuff) is acoustic and such.

7. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I've got a Disco Duck Christmas/New Years record :D

It is quite scratched though :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Duck haha :rolleyes:

8. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

They do have a very origional sound. A lot of their songs have a sort of electronic sound to it and such. Although they are unmistakeable emo, it reminds me a bit of the emo/techno group The Postal Service. I deffinately don't mean they sound at ALL alike, I just mean it for some reason reminds me of them...

Wow, The Postal Service is great! I just recently figuered out the underlying political meaning being the song "Sleeping In" and their version of "Such Great Heights" wasn't bad.

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

http://www.myspace.com/mattpondpa

I also like Small Sins (formerly The Ladies and Gentlemen). They have the same sort of sound except more electronic. So kinda like The Killers but poppy...

10. Politics are awesome

11. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Hahaha, on almost all of our conversations together, you seem to refer me to Wikipedia! You are 5 times the addict to it that I am, and I do enjoy wikipedia more than most!

12. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

they didnt originally do "such great heights" [​IMG] i know that iron and wine covers it, but i didnt know that the Postal Service covered it from someone else. who originally does it?

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I've got the wikipedia main page and Christianity articles bookmarked :rolleyes:

It is so handy...

14. Politics are awesome

For my last few school projects, wiki is the only place I went to.

Almost as awesome as wikipedia is wikibooks... I'm going to learn French or Arabic from them this summer.

15. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I dont think they origionally did it, but they may have... I am not sure on that one.

16. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Chuck....EMO is gross. :D

17. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

18. spooner

spooner is done.

I love emo - because if there was no emo, the greatest reason ever to abuse a dozen of my friends for everything from their shitty music to the way they dress would be gone.

And my emo friends do cut themselves. Upside down crosses on their arms. and then colour over it with black marker. and then try to cauterize it closed (and black) with hot knives. like bad prison tattoos.

whats even worse is that three of my friends did this to each other. i'm sure you can see why i have to make fun of them.

19. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Personally, I don't understand the concept of cutting one's self. I think it HAS to result from some major psychological problem. I also don't understand getting any pleasure from pain (except in like tattoo/peircing stuff, because in that case it is a pain of accomplishment).

20. spooner

spooner is done.

They didn't enjoy it. In fact it, even it retrospect they made it sound unpleasant. Plus Corey's house smelt like burnt flesh for days.

I think they found it more fashionable than actually fun.