IUD Birth Control- your help wanted

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by TheRealPamela, May 24, 2006.

1. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

Hello all. I called my local Planned Parenthood today because I need a birth control pill refill. I asked if they offer IUD's for women who have not had children. I have heard that (before recently I guess) they'd only offer them to women who have had kids. The cost is $300. This may not sound like a lot but I am in between jobs so I will have to save up for this and use pills in the meantime. I get my pills from the health department and I have had nothing but good experiences with them. (I don't have insurance, my options are limited) I think pills may be responsible for my craziness and mood swings during PMS. I am NOT fun to be around but I really do not feel I can control it. Also I think they are preventing me from losing weight.

Anyhow, I was curious as to your experiences with IUD- if your period cramps got worse, if you feel better, if you experienced any sexual benefits or problems, etc. All experiences would help.
    I really appreciate it!

Pamela

2. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

i have an IUD and have worn it for several years. (i've had kids.) the IUD has made my period virtually nothing--most of it gets absorbed before it even reaches outside. i have no cramps. sexually there are no side effects, a benefit is that there are no 'off' days. in fact i can't really think of any other side effects at all other than the period. i love it!

3. Maybelle

Maybelle NeoHipALicious

I've had an IUD for years also. I chose to get the IUD for a number of reasons:
    1.) Because I was breastfeeding. 2.) My system is sensitive to any medications especially those that mess with hormones. 3.) I am married and needed a reliable yet non-complicated method of birthcontrol.

I did have cramps really bad at first. I still have cramps every now and then. I have heavier periods *this could also be a result of having 2 children. Overall, I have been happy with the results of having an IUD.

I'm not sure but I think that they recommend them for people that have previously had children because of uterus size?

Personal choice I guess.

Godspeed and good luck!

4. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have an IUD. I have paragard (non-hormonal). The insertion hurt BAD, but only for a while (my car broke down about 1/4th mile from the clinic as I left and I had to walk quite a bit and be out for hours, with no problem).

I have only had one period since I got it, and the cramps were worse but my period was actually shorter. I say the cramps were worse, but I'm not sure they were actually more painful than they were before the iud, only before the IUD I was get really sharp pains that lasted only 30 seconds or so which left me curled up.. after the IUD I didn't have those anymore but a longer dull ache which can be worse in it's own way.

I don't have trouble checking the strings or anything, but I worry I am expelling it because I can't tell if all I feel is the strings (my midwife says it's fine), but until I can have an ultrasound to make sure either crazy or not, I don't totally trust it.

Women who haven't had children have a higher rate of expulsion because their uterus is smaller. My uterus measured 5 cm and generally 6 is the smallest allowed for an IUD which also makes me a bit uneasy about mine.

Mine also cost 675, 300 would have been a nice price. I think my midwife charged a lot for the insertion though, but I felt since I liked her so much and respect her I would rather pay more for her to do it than have it done for less at someplace else.

I should be getting another period soon (within 10 days?) so if this post hasn't drifted off into history I can update on how my 2nd goes.

5. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I had Mirena for a while, but then I decided to get my tubes tied. My cramps got worse, but my periods got lighter. But when my boyfriend and I had sex, if he topped out (which he normally did), it made me cramp badly.

I don't really think that I had it long enough to give a good evaluation. I don't remember exactly how long it was, but I think it was only a few months.

6. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I had a copper IUD before I knew I had endometriosis. It caused very heavy bleeding, very long periods, and monster cramps for me. Had to have it removed because I simply could not function and was becoming anemic from too much blood loss.

7. sexymesamama

sexymesamama Member

After I had my son, (almost two years ago) I had the Mirena IUD put in at my 6 week apt. It isn't copper like boogie talks about. It was just a small plastic(?) T not much bigger than a quarter. Since then I have had only one period, which was not that bad. I have LOVED not having a period, and I have LOVED not having to worry about daily, weekly, or even monthly birth control. I had my annual check up with my GYN and everything is still AWESOME! But it really all depends on your body type. Ask your GYN, and try it out. It's as easily taken out as it is put in! Good Luck

8. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I am getting a mirena iud put in this monday. One reason why my doctor said he only gives them to women with childern (besides the other reasons posted above) is that it CAN cause infertility. They also don't implant IUDs (well they shouldn't but some doctors prob don't use the mongomous thing as a guideline) in people who aren't in a monagomous relationship because if you contract clamidia or gonoreha(sp?) you will get very very sick, infected and have to be hospitalized (I think you could even die from it.). My IUD is going to cost in the 700 dollar range, luckly my insurance covers it so *whew*.

9. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Aside from perforation, I believe that PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) is the most worrisome thing, with the IUD. The string is a main line, right straight to your uterus, for bacteria. The more partners you have, the more bacteria you're exposed to, the more chance you have of getting PID.

10. FaeryMoon

FaeryMoon Member

There are two different kinds of IUD's: The Mirena (hormonal) and the copper T (non-hormonal). I'm about to get the copper IUD because after trying 14-15 different kinds of birth control pills, I've realized that I just can't handle the hormones. I've never had children, so my nurse practitioner said that she's nervous about the insertion... but I've been in a monogamous relationship for 4 1/2 years, so she's not as worried about the PID issues. If I get it any time soon, I'll try to do a follow up.

11. FaeryMoon

FaeryMoon Member

Well, I got the copper paraguard IUD today... the insertion was not very fun... a lot of cramping and some pain with it. Anyway, I'm hardly having any cramps now, and I just got it a few hours ago. I like it so far!

12. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Yea I now have the mirena insert... I love it. :)

13. Captain Zeep

Captain Zeep Acoustic Hero

my wife got the Mirena IUD 4 years ago and she loves it. she dosn't get cramps anymore, her mood swings are gone and she only spots for one day per month. there is one thing that no one here has mentioned yet though. we found out that during sex in missionary possition the little wire that hangs off of the IUD can poke your man and it REALLY HURTS!! were talking instant "hang and dangle". i just thought someone should mention this.